What is the Widest tire that will fit on 96 sport wheels? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ry2lazy4u
What is the Widest tire that will fit on 96 sport wheels?

245/60/16 seems like what im being told.

im gonna try 255's or 265's for the back. if anyone else has any feedback I would love to hear it, the search button is very helpfull but I want feedback from people who actually have these tires on these rims, no speculations please i have done too much of that already.

I currently have the stock 225/60/16 tire size but i need more rubber on the ground. I am going to get 235/60/16 (for $62.99 a peice) if no one has any decent advice.

I can't find anything bigger than that size in the falken ziex ze912 brand.

I like the falken ziex ze912's because they offer a good tread pattern for wet driving and living in south florida means I do a lot of driving in the rain.

They are not uni-directional, the tire has a outside and inside and it is nice because you can finnally rotate tires like you are supposed to.
Im a big fan of dunlop and i know they make all the oddball sizes.

What is the widest tire that I can fit on a 96 sport wheel? Please help me out! Thanks in advance.
~Ryan

Three Birds are Better than 1! Current rides...
Red 96 LX 4.6 <----> Blue 95 LX 4.6 <----> Pearl 94 LX 4.6 (parts car!)

Last edited by ry2lazy4u; 05-26-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: to try and get a second opinion....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:56 PM
shaken, not stirred

Photobucket
Before you are quick on the new thread posting, these 2 were right underneath your new thread on the first page of wheels/tires. I dindt even have to do a search. I am just trying to save you future flamings.

Here is the info you desire.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=111674
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=112109

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry2lazy4u View Post
I currently have the stock 225/60/16 tire size but i need more rubber on the ground. I am going to get 235/60/16 (for $62.99 a peice) if no one has any decent advice.

I can't find anything bigger than that size in the falken ziex ze912 brand.

I like the falken ziex ze912's because they offer a good tread pattern for wet driving and living in south florida means I do a lot of driving in the rain.

They are not uni-directional, the tire has a outside and inside and it is nice because you can finnally rotate tires like you are supposed to.
Im a big fan of dunlop and i know they make all the oddball sizes.

What is the widest tire that I can fit on a 96 sport wheel? Please help me out! Thanks in advance.
~Ryan

I'm goin for a set of 255/60-16's from a local dealer, I'm convinced with the stock height on my 96 bird that they'll fit... I'm hoping I dont screw my final drive ratio, I think it'll keep it pretty close... If ur interested I'll let u know how I make out.... Gonna happen this week, I cant STAND it any longer....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ry2lazy4u
If I am not mistaken, I think they are 8". (they are 7" i calipered them) But you can definately run 245/60/16, because that is what I run on my Sport rims. It may take the tire guy a little bit to get it on because it fits the width of the rim like a glove. IDK if you can go any wider or not.

C.Hill

thanks for the answer, mr.hill.
hey mods! maybe a sticky with largest tire size combos for stock wheels.? That could save some search time and people like me from repeating questions.

Sorry about that mr.hill i did search the forum but only with the search feature and not manually looking through each post on the first page.

Three Birds are Better than 1! Current rides...
Red 96 LX 4.6 <----> Blue 95 LX 4.6 <----> Pearl 94 LX 4.6 (parts car!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 AM
4th Gear Poster

Factory 96-97 Sport and SC rims of all years are 16 x 7. Same with the Cougar factory 16" rims, both the lacey ones and the 7 spokes. 255/50's will fit, but they are a PITA to mount, especially the Falken's with the rim protector bead. Some shops will not want to do it. Discount Tire and Tire Rack's guides say a 7" rim is the absolute narrowest you can use, and I can see why after mounting mine.

I ran Falken Ziex 512's in 255/50/16 for a little over a year. Slightly shorter than stock, but no ill effects from that. Terrible wear, maybe 15k miles at best out of them. They made the car wander, too. I ran the 235/60 version of the same tire for 2 years prior to that, and I also have a 15" version on my Fiero GT. No complaints on those two sets, other than wear still sucks.

I put a set of Yokohoma Avid 4VS on my bird last Friday, in 235/60/16 size. Also directional, with a solid center rib, but way better tread life rating than the Falken's. It's like driving a new car again. No wandering at all, and the car steers so much better with the slightly narrower tread. Since mine is also lowered, I liked the wider look of the 255/50's, but IMHO, 235/60/16 is perfect. Just a little wider and taller than stock, but they don't make the steering uncomfortably heavy.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM
shaken, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry2lazy4u View Post
...thanks for the answer, mr.hill.
Sorry about that mr.hill i did search the forum but only with the search feature and not manually looking through each post on the first page.

The friendly members are more than happy to answer any questions you have. But they do expect you to do a little searching on your own. And speaking from my own experience, as soon as you start searching you will most likely find the answer to your question and several other questions you haven't even thought about asking just by reading through the different posts. But if you cant find the answer just post it on here and we will be more than happy to help.

Like I said before I run 245/50/16 which is also the stock size for 97-02 Firebirds. So there are still quite a decent selection for these tyres. I have a buddy with a Camaro and one with a T/A and they both are running Riken Raptor ZR's and they love them. And the 245/50/16 size is like $65 a piece for them.

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Well, I'll tell ya what.
After working as a Manager/installer at a 'Mom/Pop shop for a few years, about a decade ago, it's NO question its a PITA to mount ANYTHING with a lower aspect ratio, that's a 'given'...

40, 45, 50, 55, IMO, in a Perfect World, it's TRULY the job of the Manager/and/or skilled installer, to know what will/wont fit, based on width, offset, assessing the height of the vehicle, well depth, suspension, deflection, and, once the maximums are established, the installer makes it happen...
IT TAKES EXPERIENCE. You get a feel for it. In a Perfect World, The head mechanic/installer in the shop should know, be SURE of what you can/cant run, and sell you what you need.
That's what you are SUPPOSED to be able to count on when you go to your local 'guy'..... Supposedly....

I picked everyones' brain here for a while for the sake of taking advantage of experience.
It took me a while, hunt an peck, to realize No company seems to actually MAKE a 60 series tire in a 245, 255 for a 7 inch 16, unless you want to spend 400 dollars a shot. Not for me!!!

I've got a $#!t brand 255/60-16 on order for the rear, 'cause I'm a child that wants a specifc 'look' and doesnt need Z rated 50's to pull 3g's in a turn.... I wanna go Straight.....
I just want a 'rake', and a wider tread width.
I'm working with a local guy, gonna find out 2morrow if these will actually work. If not, I'm gonna have him mount em ANYWAY and I'll shim, spring, tweak, whatever I HAVE to, to get the height/width I want in the a$$ of this 'bird...
I gotta HAVE IT. Whatever it takes....
Sorry if that started as a rant...
NOBODY MAKES TIRES FOR US, DAMN IT!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in