Replacement for space-saver spare? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Replacement for space-saver spare?

I have a '97 bone-stock LX with 4.6. For some reason, I have had a LOT of flat tires in the past couple of years, even tho I run good rubber (not the very best, but good: Bridgestone Insignia SE 200's, 215X70x15 all around). Consequently, I have run the space-saver spare too much, like nearly 100 miles on it now (my daily commute is 116mi, so if I get a flat, I can have a long way to go either to the office or back home). Furthermore, it is a 1997, so the spare is getting to be near 12 years old. What would you folks recommend to replace this with, in order to get something less than say, 4 or 5 years old? I do have a spare (5th) matching wheel, and I was thinking about maybe putting a 60-series (lower profile) tire on that so it would fit in the trunk-well, the 215 is too big in diameter. Last question -- local bone yard sold me a never on the ground $5 135x70x15 mini from a 1999 Sable, vs the 125x90x15 that I have now run for 100 miles.... will the smaller overall diameter cause trouble if I need it on the rear end and the regular tire vs the spare are spinning a diff rates?? This is still over 10 years old, even if never on the ground, so I am still not real comfortable......

I appreciate any help on this, I searched but could not find answers to these questions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
PostSlut

Just get another tire for your space saver spare.
The tire size would be a 165R 15.
It is a DOT tire, that many people use for running skinnies on their cars....even daily drivers.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hmm, I don't think you will find a tire size calculator that will do those 125 tires to see what the difference is.

I just bought a 125/70T17 for mine, I don't even want to know what the 15 or either 16 temp spares I have are.

I check the air in mine religiously, and even the one in my 89 Cougar that has seen duty on the car a few times over the years is solid.

You can buy the 125/90T15 tires.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
PostWhore

I would think that the Sable wheel will work okay. After all, its just a spare.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
I would think that the Sable wheel will work okay. After all, its just a spare.
When it's on the car in place of one of the regular tires, it's no longer "just a spare" -- it's carrying 1/4 of your car and 100% of your safety depends on each and every companent of your vehicle. It seems to me that a 10 - 12 year old tire that is way smaller in size and not nearly as strong in construction or tread capabilities would pretty quickly become the "weakest link" in your safety. I drive 116 miles a day on Interstate 75 & 275 from my home to Tampa and back, and the speed limits on those roads vary from 55 in the city to 70 in the country, and most everyone does at least the limit plus 5. I am NOT feeling all warm and fuzzy when I get a flat at 5AM on I75 at 73mph in the pitch dark, and have to get out, change it, then drive off on that blessed "space saver" donut! Driving along at 50mph while Kenworths and Peterbuilts and Freightliners are blowing my doors off as they pass by at 78mph, and last Friday, in the rain, no less..... I was NOT a Happy Camper on that "just a spare" in position on the right rear. So, I got off at the next exit (8 miles down the road), then took local roads to Tampa, got the tire replaced at lunch time.

I'm not worried about what's in the trunk, it's what's on the ground, and the "space saver" has now been on the ground under my car too darned much, so I want something much more comforting if / when it happens again!!

Capiche??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
Just get another tire for your space saver spare.
The tire size would be a 165R 15.
It is a DOT tire, that many people use for running skinnies on their cars....even daily drivers.
Uhmmmm.... you mean to replace the tire on the space saver wheel? The tire on that wheel now is a T125X90 R15 (I bleeve the "T" stands for Temporary). I have an extra "fan blade" matching alloy wheel like the other 4, and I am considering putting a new 185X60 R15 on it, using that as the spare. I think the outside diameter would be about the same as the space saver, but it would be thicker and not sit as deeply in the well in the trunk. I'll check this out over the weekend at a local tire shop I use.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
PostSlut

Here is the tire I recomended....it will still fit in the factory spot, and hold the car up very well.

Here is a pic of mine on the front....

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:25 PM
PostSlut

when/if you go to a tire store, just tell them the exact size, 165R 15....they should know what you are talking about.

I think the size translates to a 165x70x15 (something close to that)

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
PostSlut

try this link..

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/sea...=165&ar=&rd=15

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
pssh, space saver

-Matt
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
The Parts Guy

Listen to 95badbird. I use the same size tire on a pair of aluminum SC spare wheels for skinnies at the track. I've driven to the track and back home on them quite a few times, too, and I would say that I would definitely feel more comfortable driving on them than a temp spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
Hmm, I don't think you will find a tire size calculator that will do those 125 tires to see what the difference is.
125 / 25.4 = 4.92" section width

Multiply the section width by twice the aspect ratio and add the diameter of the wheel to get the tire diameter.

125/90-15: (4.92 x 2 x 0.90) + 15 = 23.86" diameter

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That much math makes my head hurt, thanks

I hope my Volvo spare works out, I know they use tapered lug bolts instead of lug nuts, but I think the taper is the same. It would drive me nuts to have a spare that didn't fit in the spare tire well (obviously it depends on the circumstances, I can't stand to drive my 00 grand marquis on the temp spare, I always get flats on the right rear).

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in