Tire Karma - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Tire Karma

Weeeeelllll.... You guys were right.
Went down today, cash in hand, to get the 255/60-16's on the rear of my 7" stock rims, and after complaining a little online last nite about what installers would/should do, yup, Karma kicks in an now the Manager's there an stymies the project. Says they'll explode off the rim and the car'll get impounded and he'll be liable....
Should'a kept my mouth shut an not tempted fate...
I guess it's a trip to the the Wrecker and hunting on Ebay for some 15's or something..... Damn... I was soooooo close....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SC V8 Bird
Not sure exactly what it is you are trying to do?

SC V8 BIRD

TCCoA Gallery
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=45

Car Domain
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2527375
NW Late Model Thunderbirds & Supercoupes Myspace Group
http://groups.myspace.com/nwlatemodelthunderbirds
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC V8 Bird View Post
Not sure exactly what it is you are trying to do?
Yeah... its an ongoing saga.... I was looking to keep the 225/60-16's on the front an go to a wider/taller tire on the rear. Wider footprint, but fill the 'well and create a little 'lift' in the rear. I dig the look.....
Problem is the 7" wide sport rims. I wanted to Shoehorn a 255/60 on the rear, and no one seems to manufacuture one. Found a place that sold Kuhmos in that ratio, but the shop manager stepped in last minute an veto'd the install... KILLED me. I was counting on getting a boatload of rubber in the rear, a little wider bite, but a taller look as well. Seems I"m @#$ forced to buy an 8 inch rim to get what I want, a 15, to keep my desire to fill the wheelwell economically... I buck tradition.... I"m not putting 17's, 18's on this car. I want TIRE in the a$$ of this thing, and I cant afford to 'tub' the rear right now I dunno...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
The Parts Guy

I'm going to guess that you went to a chain store and that you took the entire car there instead of just the wheels. Most of your chain stores will only install the tire size(s) recommended for the car they are to be installed on. Typically, if you just take the wheels in to have the tires mounted up, or if you go to a "mom'n'pop" shop, they won't question it.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
PostSlut

go to another store, and bring them the wheels off the car....if they ask, tell em its for a dirt track car.

They can not be held liable if they don't put them on the vehicle.

edit: damn Rod, we were thinking the exact same thing!!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
why do you want such a wide footprint and tall side wall on such a small rim? Performance of the car will be wallowy. Such a tall side wall will cause the tire to shift and the sidewall to flex under duress. Like the 245/60/15s I had many years ago, the side wall would roll under when pushed.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
I'm going to guess that you went to a chain store and that you took the entire car there instead of just the wheels. Most of your chain stores will only install the tire size(s) recommended for the car they are to be installed on. Typically, if you just take the wheels in to have the tires mounted up, or if you go to a "mom'n'pop" shop, they won't question it.

-Rod
Yeah Rod/95, I goofed, thought I was all set.. came to that idea after the fact. .... The deviant in me realized too late... would've brought them the rims alone if I thought it was a problem.. Got their input cause I wasnt convinced the 255's would fit. After looking at clearance issues, it's a lotta Meat back there on stock suspension.....

TGO:
Yeah, I realize the handling would suffer, but I'm a PITA for the 'stance'. I'd be HAPPY with 245's if I could FIND em.... I drive like grandma unless I'm beating it in a straight line.... I don't kick this thing in the turns and I really want a specific look to the 'bird.. I LOVE the offset tire look... Cant STAND it. I guess I'm relagated to acquiring a 15 set w/ 8" in the rear to make me happy.. .I dunno....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 PM

have your stock rear rims widened..
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I used 255/50/16's and thought they were great. Handled good, drove nice, looked outstanding. No problems mounting them, took the car in, they mounted them, no problem. I sold them to another member for his SC after I got my 17" Cobras which i put 255/50/17's on. It looks great as well.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
have your stock rear rims widened..
x's 2. you've seen my thread. get 'em widened. get your tires. have 'em mounted and call it a day and enjoy what you want.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark007 View Post
x's 2. you've seen my thread. get 'em widened. get your tires. have 'em mounted and call it a day and enjoy what you want.
I know... I did think about that..... Briefly....
Its stupid, I guess, but I was trying to get the look I want as cheap as possible. If I'm gonna throw $$ at the stock rims, I'd rather just pony up an buy something better, ya know?? I'm not REALLY a fan of the saladshooters, just wanted to keep rim/tire mods 'in budget'. But thanks for the info, I'll say I'm certainly surprised, didnt think anyone would actually 'sign off' on cutting an welding a rim for street/strip use for you...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I used 255/50/16's and thought they were great. Handled good, drove nice, looked outstanding. No problems mounting them, took the car in, they mounted them, no problem. I sold them to another member for his SC after I got my 17" Cobras which i put 255/50/17's on. It looks great as well.
Ya know, that's what I thought, too!!!
I've mounted 10 inch tires on 7 inch rims for customers back in the day. I really dont see what the anal-retentive fuss is all about...
I"m gonna have to go with my first thought and find another joint that sells that Kuhmo and simply bring 'em the rims and figure it out once they're home.....

BTW, How long ago did you have those 255's installed??
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGainiac View Post
BTW, How long ago did you have those 255's installed??
I know the question was directed to Traveler, but I figured I'd throw my experience in, too. I've been running 255/60-15's on 15x7's on the rear of my 94 since early '03 (about 80,000 miles). With the Vogtland 1" drop springs and Airlift bags in the rear, the car handles pretty well, and I push it relatively hard from time to time. The real limiting factor in handling on that car is the stock sway bars, though if I were to upgrade those, the tires would be the next limiting factor.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
I know the question was directed to Traveler, but I figured I'd throw my experience in, too. I've been running 255/60-15's on 15x7's on the rear of my 94 since early '03 (about 80,000 miles). With the Vogtland 1" drop springs and Airlift bags in the rear, the car handles pretty well, and I push it relatively hard from time to time. The real limiting factor in handling on that car is the stock sway bars, though if I were to upgrade those, the tires would be the next limiting factor.

-Rod
Thanks, Rod....
I know... I picked your brain on this right away... I was actually COMFORTABLE thinking with the drop you put in the suspension on the 15's, I'd be able to get the 255/60-16's/stock suspension with no problem. It's hard enuff to find dealers that sell this size, but now I'm gonna have to find another dealer to bring the rims to, OFF the car, to get this done. How Stupid.
I dunno. Seems like it was easier a few years back to get guys to do 'custom' stuff for us. Now I keep hearing the same refrain... "I'll get sued"... Geez, I thought I was hip, but guess I wasnt paying attention as to how far this runs....
When did this country get so LITIGIOUS that mechanics/installers are now also forced to worry about the ramifacations of a change over 'stock'??!??
Sorry to whine... All I want is Tires and Exhaust for Christsakes..... Seems IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to take my $$$ lately....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Sorry its take a while to get back to you. I had the tires for most of a year, I'd have had them on there longer but I hit a deer in Nov. 06. I sold them to the other member because I found a GREAT deal on a set of 17" Cobra R's on ebay and needed to buy tires for them.

I sold them to Matt in Wichita, he'll tell you how they're doing now.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Sorry its take a while to get back to you. I had the tires for most of a year, I'd have had them on there longer but I hit a deer in Nov. 06. I sold them to the other member because I found a GREAT deal on a set of 17" Cobra R's on ebay and needed to buy tires for them.

I sold them to Matt in Wichita, he'll tell you how they're doing now.

Yeah, you've got some nerve taking so long!!!

Hitting deer=
Free Venison=

Ok, I'll pm Matt... What's his handle??
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Finally remembered.. Matts username is kansas supercoupe

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in