New wheels rubbin control arm - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

New wheels rubbin control arm

Hey all. I just picked up a great deal: 4 good used wheels, 17 X 7.5, with almost new tires 235/55/17.

Problem is, the backspacing is off by just a small amount. When I tighten the lug nuts, the wheel won't turn. As soon as I crack the lugs loose, I can turn the wheel. So, the rim is just barely touching the upper spindle mount, and the tire is barely touching the bottom of the upper ball joint 'stub' end. I can see removing a piece of the ball joint stub won't affect anything, but how about the spindle mount? Would it be unsafe to grind some of the material away where the rim contacts?
OR: Should I just buy a 3/16 inch wheel spacer kit? I have to order it because no one stocks these in my town except the 4.5-5 inch spacing; no 4.25 inch spacing, even the universal ones are not here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I had to get 5mm (3/16) spacers off eBay for mine as well, get the spacers. I only found ONE locally at a tire shop, used, but that was enough for me to try it out and verify it did what I wanted to and I still had enough threads for the lug nuts.

I really only needed like 2 or 3 mm but 5 was the smallest I could find, it out the wheels out where I didn't want them, but they are 9 inches wide, so that won't be an issue for you!

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thank you! I bought a pair off Ebay that were 5mm, which is 3/16".
The tires are actually Michelin Ice X winter tires, but the seller said he used them one summer and they were great. I won't have to worry about snow or ice in Florida, but the price was right. The same tires new go for $151 each, and I can get the wheels new for $180 each, but I got the whole set with rims and tires, mounted and balanced for $300 for everything. I drove 6 hours round trip to get them, but I still think I came out ahead. What do you think? The rims are factory Jaguar S-type.
I will post pictures when the spacers arrive and I have them mounted on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
With a spacer that thin I would lean towards a Billet piece just for piece of mind. Something to think about.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Turns out those spacers weren't quite enough, so I got some 5/16 inch spacers, and they were just right for clearance. I finally have the wheels on! I will post later on with some pictures for anyone interested. Please don't mind the fact that the bumpers are faded (original paint), but they will get painted soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I'll need pics. I can't see how the rim is rubbing anything in the area your talking about when the tire is rubbing the stub on the ball joint.

I'm using 17x7.5 with 255/50/17's and the tires were rubbing that stub. I just ground it down so it'd clear and haven't had any problems with it. The shop that mounted them actually preferred that "cure" to using spacers. LOL they still made me sign a release of liability though.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

It all boils down to offset. Sounds to me like you have less offset than I do with my wheels. With you running 255 tires on a 7.5 inch wheel, you have 1- 1/4 inches of rubber sticking past the rim on each side (past the bead, anyway). That is 10 inches of tire width minus 7.5 inches divided by two. My tires are 235's, or 9.25 inches wide, meaning I have 7/8 of an inch of rubber past the bead on each side. Without spacers, my wheels actually contact in two places; The tire rubs on the upper ball joint stub, and the wheel contacts the vertical part of the control arm at the top.
So, while you may have clearance for your wheel, you only have an issue with your tire at that stub, while my wheel with greater positive offset puts the back of the wheel against the spindle AND the tire hits the stub. Now I have clearance for the wheel, but a hrd turn in reverse just revealed to me some scrubbing again, I am thinking it is the tire on the stub, so may be time to do some grinding on that...

Last edited by trinogt; 06-22-2008 at 05:51 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I still have some rubbing going on. Now it seems to happen while going straight, and turning the wheel slightly to the left at lower speeds (15-30 mph) but not below those speeds.
Any comments?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in