FINALLY got a 17 inch spare - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

FINALLY got a 17 inch spare

So I have been holding off on the Cobra brakes because I didn't have a big enough spare. I know, if it is a front flat tire put the spare on the back and move the rear tire and wheel forward, but that is both no fun, and, well, I don't know if the 15 would fit with the brackets to use the bigger Cobra rotors in the rear, and my 89 needs the 16 inch spare because it has the Sport brakes (or obviously again front to rear with tire and spare always goes on the rear).

I have been trying to get one for a good price, I and other than the shipping was mis quoted and real low (I intend to pay the difference) got it for around 45 bucks (10 bucks plus a ton in shipping). I really had a hard time finding one locally, either they thing they are gold, or not something that should be "salvaged". The ones I found for the Lincoln LS and or S Type and or New Thunderbird everyone wanted 200 plus bucks. This should work, the lug holes are tapered (maybe a different angle, these cars have lug bolts) and should be 5 4 1/2. The hub bore seems big enough. I don't know how well it will fit in the spare tire well, it has a lot more offset than the one in there now, I hope it fits well.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Test fit in your driveway....hub bore needs to match.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, when I get back from vacation I will totally test fit it.

It is 24 inches tall, 15 incher is 23.5 inches tall. 15 incher has abour 4 inches of backspacing, this one has 4.75. It fits in the spare tire area even with that huge bulge it has on the face. it won't even come close to standing up on its own, it is totally face heavy, 15 incher will stand up, even though it is a whopping 125mm section width!

The hub bore is more than the factory one, less than the aftermarket wheels I have, so the hub centric spacer does not fit, but I really never needed those, they just make it easier to install the wheels.

I have to get new lug nuts for the spare, the 10 that i have in the trunk are all wallowed out, I am guessing from the two times the temp spare has been on it, no way they got damaged in the factory aluminum wheels.

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, I didn't get a chance to test fit it, because I had a flat. I put the new Volvo spare on it, (I still have the small PBR brakes) and drove it 15 miles. No problems detected (other than I found out that after lowering and getting a flat I can't put my big jack anyplace in the front to jack it up) other than it looks like it won't clear the Cobra brakes. I need to do a little ghetto trial fitting to see if it will be close or not.

I won't drive with it any more that i need to, not to prove it is fine, but I left off the centering rings on my Bullits, since I drove it 5k miles before getting them without incident. I will likely run it one more time, perhaps on my 89, before getting rid of the two spares I carry now and only carry the 17 inch one.

The center bore of the space has three raised areas, I don't even think two business cards would have fit in the gap, no way to do a hub ring, but I don't think they are needed, it retains the acorn lug nuts and just becomes lug centric and no longer hub centric, I really don't think that poly rings can support 1000 pounds, not even a stress crack or anything other than marks from sliding in the wheel and over the hub.

I was also in a hurry because the one time I HAD to be someplace at a certain time in about 8 months, I find the tire flat. I also don't have my camera, it is on vacation with the wife and kids, so I only have my cell phone.

--

Last edited by Bangster; 07-23-2008 at 09:33 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94mncougar
I would think it would work. IIRC, I tried putting my friend's LS wheels on my front driver's side, and the problem was it was a little too wide (I think that it hit the spindle). I would think that the spare would fit alright since it is thinner. The lug nuts on the LS were weird, however. They have a washer built into them (for the tapers you were talking about). I remember the Lug Nuts being pretty expensive from Ford, too.

Stephen

Winter mods included:
- Developing Rocker Rust
- Saggy Suspension - fixed!
- Chipped paint
- I'm sure more to come... TOTALED
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Interceptor
What year and model Volvo did your spare come from?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I sorta sound bitter and talking to myself with all the other posts removed (the ones saying that wheels MUST be hub centric on our cars).

I still haven't verified that it clears the Cobra brakes.

The spare was supposedly out of a 2007 XC90 but S70/XC70/XC90 should be the correct bolt pattern, hub larger than ours, and use tapered acorn style lug nuts.

Maybe I will get a change to ghetto rig up the brakes to check, or actually get them installed

--
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Interceptor
Well if it fits, clears the rotors and runs smooth, that's what counts. After all it's only a spare.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
looks like it will be a really tight fit IF it fits when you get cobra brakes.

-Matt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
the only thing i want to ever use spare tires for is doing burn outs in a legal area. seems like it would be fun to buy some cheapy spares and burn through them probably aint the best thing for drive train and engine but seems likea fun thing

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in