295's (non tbird related) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

295's (non tbird related)

I need a new set of tires on my mustang, Now I used to work a discount tire, so I'm not completely retarded.. but I have a question. I'm swapping back to a set of 16x7.75" wheels. Yes 7.75" wide from inside lip to inside lip

So i'm hoping I can mount the 295/50/16's on the 16x7.75" wheel...I had 325's on 9" wheel and i never had any problems, but I know the max for an 8" is 295...but I was hoping someone had some input. I need ~ 28" tall tire for the rear of my car with the gears I have and i dont wanna run a dot slick/DR since the car sees more city driving than strip use...but the car is by no means a DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 PM
PostWhore

If they are OEM Mustang 16" wheels from the late 90s/early 00s, they are 7.5" wide. What about using 255/60R16? That would be a better fit for sure. 295/50 on 7.5" might go, but you would likely wear the centre part of the tread out prematurely.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
If they are OEM Mustang 16" wheels from the late 90s/early 00s, they are 7.5" wide. What about using 255/60R16? That would be a better fit for sure. 295/50 on 7.5" might go, but you would likely wear the centre part of the tread out prematurely.

cheers
Ed N.

they arent the stock 16" pony package wheels...I'm not sure what actual wheels they are. Looks like a 03 cobra wheel with "flatter" spokes. I just know they are 7.75" between lips.

255's arent enough for what I want/need. I'm not worried about the wear on the tires they are just going on the car till I decide what wheels I'm going to go with when i retire the car to strictly a trailer queen. I'm Just hoping they will fit and wont come unbeaded the first time I slip the tires past the water box, or take an of ramp 10mph over what I should .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
PostWhore

The BFG catalogue shows an 8" as the min. for their 295/50R16, so if the car isn't to be driven much on them, I would think that 1/4" isn't going to make a huge difference. That size will have a fair amount of sidewall to manipulate, so IMO you should be OK with the intended usage.

cheers
Ed N.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 AM
5th Gear Poster

When it comes to tires the tire width is spec'd for a set wheel width. However, the play on this is not the tire, but rather the wheel itself. What I mean is this.
You want the tire to spread out over the width of the wheel, and the wheel determines how much spread you will get.

If you stretch as 295 on the wheel your sidewall will slant inward toward the wheel lip (like a mushroom with the tread looking like it is trying to bow over the sides).
If you ran a 225 on that same rim the side wall would slant from the tread outward to the wheel lip (like a cone shape).

Having a 295 on a car and it looking bad will never get you the results you want to feel when looking at the car.

This is just my very humble opinion, but I wouldn't mount anything wider than a 255 or 265 absolutely MAX on that rim. Realize that a 295 is NOT going to appear any wider on that wheel than a 255 or 265, it is only going to give you a very distorded looking slanted sidewall, and will look like you stuck on a tire hat is too wide for the rim you are using... but it will not look wider. The tread is ONLY going to be as wide as the wheel and any excess tread as a result of being to wide a tire for the rim will begin trying to wrap around to the sidewall.

I have a 7.5" rear wheel currently, and I wanted a straight flat sidewall, so I used a 245 tire. It is perfect, and as much as I wanted a wider tire I knew that a 255 would be pushing it. So I went with the 245. A 255 may have given me a slightly acceptable "buldge" to the sidewall, but looks more oldschool, or like a set of drag radials. This would be fine for a 15 or 16 in. wheel, but not so cool on a lower profile 17" tire and wheel combo.

I now want to go wider, so I am attempting to sell my rear wheels to buy another set in an 8.5" width. This will allow me to run a 275 and have it look correct.
I wouldn't try and put a 295 on anything shy of a 9" rim. If you still want to try, measure the TREAD of the tire you are going to use while it is NOT mounted on a wheel. If your tread width is greater than your wheel width (inside lip to inside lip) than the tire is going to look very poorly on that wheel once mounted.
Good luck.

"Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car

Last edited by mercury267; 07-23-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in