305's or possibly 315's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

305's or possibly 315's

Ok I am very interested in some new rims I have been going crazy over bullit style rims 17x9 in the front and 17x10 in the back, now I have been looking at 18's in the same configuration, now my biggest issue is all different tire sizes and bolt patterns and what exactly I am going to do to make it all come together. I want 305's on the backs and 245's in the front, I have been thinking of trying 315's in the back but I am not sure about them fitting properly. I have a 97 4.6 bird and I found some 1 inch and 2 inch spring cup lifts for the rear springs now when you install them it is said they double in lift so 1 inch would lift it 2 inches and a 2 inch would lift it 4 inches. Anyway I just want some bullitt rims with a black inside I am not picky I will take chrome but prefer a black or gray inside and chrome lips. Now I have been looking at the wheel shop and its going to cost me over 800 for the rims and then I buy tires and slap them on sounds good no mods except a lifted rear end. Well I have been looking around and mustang bolt pattern bullitts are about 500 some times around 400, these will due in terms of looks, I like them alot and the price tag calls to me. But then I have redo the hubs and brakes, well I am in the middle of getting all the parts for cobra brake swap right now, and it would be nothing to do a bolt pattern swap when I do the brakes. So now that I told this long winded description of my problem here are my questions.

1. Should I go with a mustang bolt pattern or stick with the wheel shop rims?
2. If I go with a mustang pattern should I use spacers or try to find 36mm or higher offset?
3. With a 1 inch spacer making it almost 2 inches in lift on the rear could I get a 315 without rubbing or should I be happy with 305's?
4. Of course I will change out shocks when I do the lift, but is that okay or should I go with a helper airbag like every one else? Which will be the better ride.
5. I am on going to be putting out around 400 hp hopefully this spring then I will be done until I finish school, so I need a strong setup no skimping in quality, I.E. I really dont want to use spacers.
6. if I lift the rear end should I also roll the fenders and how does that look when you have the body moldings on?
7. Is the lift the best Idea or should I roll the fenders?

Well I hope for some good feedback on this I am sorry for this being so long but I wanted to get everything out all at once so you would know exactly what I am wanting and what I have. I also already have some 275's on the rear of my cougar on a 17x8 rim and 245's up front, it looks really good but I want more aggresiveness for this car. Thankyou guys.

Got the only bird with Lambo Doors in Texas!
Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Poster

05 stang wheels have a 45mm offset on a 10 inch wheel I believe. I wish I knew of some wheels around to see if it will work.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Are you looking for more understeer? because that is what that big tire will do for you.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
Are you looking for more understeer? because that is what that big tire will do for you.
Well I want the aggressive looks but with understeer doesnt that just pertain to the front tires I am going to run 245's on the front and I already have them on my cougar and it handles better than it ever did with the stock rims and tires. I know understeer is when you go more of a straight line instead of a sharp turn but any way I hope this helps you understand what I am looking for.

Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd like to run 275s all around on a set of widened 89-92 SC wheels

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth92 View Post
Well I want the aggressive looks but with understeer doesnt that just pertain to the front tires I am going to run 245's on the front and I already have them on my cougar and it handles better than it ever did with the stock rims and tires. I know understeer is when you go more of a straight line instead of a sharp turn but any way I hope this helps you understand what I am looking for.
understeer/oversteer is a balance between the front a rear. You can't make a change in one without affecting the balance. More rear grip = more understeer

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well that is cool still I dont go hugging curves so I will be fine I just worry about all my suspension parts they have all been replaced recently and I dont look forward to replacing them again. This car is a daily driver but I want that aggressive stance and look and 275's dont cut it for me.

Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in