Time for new tires, aluminum spare 16's? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Time for new tires, aluminum spare 16's?

Well I finally found a set of the black aluminum 16 inch spare rims. both came from 94 markVIII's. I was proud of my find until i went looking for tires.....
so far my options are.
interco front runners, no availability but they do exist on 185/80/16. probably going to be over $200 each.
Continental Vanco 8. tire rack has them in 185/75/16. about $100 each
any other ideas from anyone. What has anyone else with 16 inch spares?
The rears are a no brainer to me. General UHP grabbers....255/55/16. The best street tire I have ever driven on. At $88 a piece too from tirerack.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Veteran Poster

Alan,

Driller gave me this website awhile back when i asked. Supposedly he got some slightly used tires that fit 16 inch spares. www.rogerkrausracing.com he talked to a guy named roger. I think they were 5.5 inch wide. Hope that helps.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

I bought a pair of continental vanco 8's in 185/80/16 from tire rack. They were a very tight fit but they went. The bad news is they actually weigh more than my steel rims with 15's. 5lbs more. The aluminum spares are 2 lbs lighter, but the tires are heavy. They will clear large brakes however.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

Went racing on them last night. Only way this would be better is if I had taller rear tires. It makes the front end sit too high. My 60 went from 1.92 to 2.0. Needless to say I am not pleased.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Veteran Poster

what kind of brakes do you have Alan that require 16 inch rims? I managed to grind my caliper enough with sport brakes to fit 15's on there?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

Actually I went with PBR's. Side note PBR's do not clear Fans. The brackets hit on my wifes. I have SC wheels. I was actually wanting these 16's for her car because I was thinking about doing the larger rotors and brakes on it when i do the mustang bolt swap to it. My car will run the 15's so I'll be using them.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Veteran Poster

so the fanblades and 15 inch spares both dont clear the pbr brakes? Crap i just ordered pbr calipers to get rid of my 13 inch cobras and hopefully run fanblades or 15 inch spares at the track... well thanks for the heads up.

Luke
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

You know I'm not so sure that is the problem. When I did my pbr's I noticed the caliper bolts actually hit the rotor. It was a good thing my rotor was stuck. I had to shorten the bolts. I should have tried one of my spare fanblades for informational purposes. I know for a fact they clear SC wheels and markVIII wheels, but those are both 16's
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
I ran my PBRs with my fanblades for years and they cleared mine just fine. I actually have a set of Taurus wheels on it now, and those clear, although it is VERY tight between the caliper and the wheel "barrel." You have to use the caliper bracket bolts from the Tbird, the mustang bolts are too long. When I checked, they were the same thread pitch.

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94TchikinV8 View Post
I ran my PBRs with my fanblades for years and they cleared mine just fine. I actually have a set of Taurus wheels on it now, and those clear, although it is VERY tight between the caliper and the wheel "barrel." You have to use the caliper bracket bolts from the Tbird, the mustang bolts are too long. When I checked, they were the same thread pitch.

-Rob
That is odd. My car had all the original bolts and the driver side were too long. I didn't have all of the mustang bolts but the 2 I had were the same as the short ones....Guess it depends on what they had the day the put that part on. Possibly what they had on that side of the car at the time.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Veteran Poster

well when i get my pbr calipers in a few days im gonna try fanblades and if they fit i will work on the spares...hopefully i can get those to clear so i can put skinny's on the front. i have 17x9's on the front and i know those are hurting my quarter mile times horribly...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Kaptn' Obvious Send a message via Yahoo to Kaptn' Obvious
The PBR's will clear the fanblades. I put mine on last Dec. They clear the rim by about .075" (clearance is not touching...) All you need to do is trim a bit off the mounting holes to clear the spindle + the tab for the brake line.

Did anyone ever find a compact spare that will clear the PBR's and still fit in the trunk?

Mostly stock...

For now...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Veteran Poster

My brother has pbr's on his fanblades with no issuse.

-Doug
95 T-bird, purple python,i'll drive it again.........someday.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...73&ref=profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in