Clearcoat question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Question Clearcoat question

I have a stock set of 15" on my dakota. They are machine finish on the face and painted graphite on the side planes. (like this)

With them being 12 years old the clear is flaking off from the center out. I assume it is just clear like used on the body of the truck, its pretty thin.
My question is: can I dismount the tires, and use a paint stripper like "aircraft stripper" with a soft bristled brush to remove the clear and not hurt the aluminum?
I figure it will probably take the graphite off, but I figured I could give that a coat with a spray can or just polish it.

Ryan

1997 Cougar XR7 30th Anniversary Edition
Stock 4.6, Tokico Blues, lowered 1.25", 2.5" high flow catback exhaust
2013 Escape (daily driver)
2.5L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Aircraft stripper can not be used on aluminum, it will actually damage the aluminum itself. The best way to fix that would be to buy a mini DA sander and sand the whole wheel down, then repaint it. You can use the same hardened urethane clearcoat that would be used to paint the body of the truck. For color, if you want the cheap way out, you can actually use rattle-can spray paint on the aluminum wheel (after it is sanded and prepped properly) and then spray the urethane clearcoat over that, and it will be just as durable as the factory finish.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Up close and to the touch the wheel face has the machined texture (its not perfectly smooth) from the lathe i assume. Will the DA mess up that texture?
Will the places the clear hasn't come off yet be noticable when its recleared cause it hasn't gotten it out of the little grooves in the surface or weathering on the spots that have been exposed?

Ryan

2.5L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I stripped a set of wheels I bought with a commercial paint stripper to get the clearcoat off; the worst part was the undercoating that was on the inside dish...

I cleaned, polished, and recoated the wheels with a smooth gloss clearcoat, and they stay clean as well.

I think I used 'Strypeeze'...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM

I did a set of wheels like posted above, turned out pretty good. Some of the clear was stubborn, but you can also wet sand, rebuff, and then clear the wheels again if need be.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Will the stripper say if it is safe for aluminum or are they all bad for aluminum?

Ryan

2.5L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in