quick winter tire question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
quick winter tire question

I've been getting cooper weathermasters for winter tires for years now due to the dealer (price + convenience). I've been looking at other tires just for S&G and was curious as to people's opinion on the cooper brand. I'm looking at getting some blizzak's instead. Anybody has any comments?

oh btw, this is going on my focus, not tbird.

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackG View Post
I've been getting cooper weathermasters for winter tires for years now due to the dealer (price + convenience). I've been looking at other tires just for S&G and was curious as to people's opinion on the cooper brand. I'm looking at getting some blizzak's instead. Anybody has any comments?

oh btw, this is going on my focus, not tbird.
Blizzaks are great!

Mitch
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
PostWhore

one great thing about being down south, we have the same basic weather year round, no such thing as winter tires down here

:haha

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear Poster

96 Sport winter tires

I've been using Firestone Winterforce on all four corners for the last couple of years.
They work very well in the Ohio snow so I'm happy with them, however if you are having success with the Coopers I'd stick with them.
American company, hopefully U.S. made. I may try them after these wear out.
Unfortunately I didn't have good luck with Cooper Zeons

Straightaways are for fast cars
Turns are for fast drivers
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
I think I have good luck with them, but I really don't know because I never used another winter tire. The cooper's really look like they grip in the snow with the aggressive pattern. But I know looks mean 0 since the blizzak's look like a all season tire. The other part of the story that I forgot to tell is that I can get the cooper for $81 mounted and balanced (i believe thats tax included). The blizzak's would be $96 and I'd be getting them online so I'll have to take them to the shop to get them mounted. But the $96 includes the mount and balance.

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Voice/Data Guru

I have heard good things about the BFG Traction T/As . Going to put some on the wife's car

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM
PostWhore

I like my Blizzaks. But bear in mind that Blizzak is the model line, not the model. The model I have is WS-50, which are pretty chunky.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+WS-50

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
6th Gear Poster

With a Winter tire you want to go with a skinny profile tire. A trac-lock differential is also a big improvement. On dry pavement, fat with no tread groove is best - Nascar style. On wet you need tread grooving to displace the water under the tire so you don't hydroplane. On snow, you need a skinny tire with the outside perimeter (called lugs) to be wide and deep. Less rubber to the road will actually create better traction in bad weather. Kind of like a jeep tire. If you get a big fat winter tire with a lot of rubber on the road you will look pretty stupid going down the road sideways. Winter weather is where front wheel drive got it's reputation for selling cars. It pulls the car, the rear follows. The car stays straight. Rear wheel drive pushes the car, and when the rear wheels are spinning faster than the fronts, you have a big ooops! weather it's on the drag strip with 1000 HP or on the the road with 3" of snow, it's the same problem. Putting weight in the trunk of a rear wheel helps when you are going up hill, but going down hill you need to go slow. With our cars it's best just to stay home and watch the weather on TV instead of driving in it.

Last edited by Hollywood Ed; 11-24-2008 at 07:48 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:22 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Best winter tires I have seen in use are by Nokian & Hankook...Imagine that though....These dudes in Finland build an awesome snow tire...Yea, makes sense huh?? Nordics makin snow tires...

Nokian RSI HAKKA or HAKKA-5 Pinned w/studs
Hankook W409 or Icebear 300

Cheers

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 AM
PostWhore

Can you still get Firestone "Town and Country" snow tires, with the "You go or we pay the tow!" guarantee? Them with studs were awesome!

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 12-07-2008 at 01:18 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 AM
PostWhore

Cool

I"ve used the Blizzacks (two types) and they S**ked. Never again. For snow they are fine, but for packed hard snow and ice, nothing beats studded snows. I grew up with my Dad using them. I've been using the Weathermasters, (first the "I"'s, now the "II"'s) for years. First on a Probe, then a 2000 Mustang, then my T'bird. They are very good tires. I have a set of four (all studded) on my '91 tracer LTS which has become my winter beater. The car goes anywheres! I can come to a complete stop on shear ice on an incline, and start going back up the hill (I had to once and it did it!). My sister likes them too . I've not used the higher end tires because they are "expensive". But for me, the Cooper Weathermaster II "studded" snow tire is hard to beat at any price. And yes, a slightly taller, thinner tire is much better for snow and ice traction.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Can you still get Firestone "Town and Country" snow tires, with the "You go or we pay the tow!" guarantee? Them with studs were awesome!

LOL Cool I wonder what year that is form

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
LOL Cool I wonder what year that is form
'63 or '64 I think. I know they made them in the '50s before and even as late as 1980 my department purchased them for winter use at officer's desire on our police cars. I last saw them in a order book at the local Exxon about 10 years ago. They were good snow tires, better in later years as rubber compound improved I'm sure.

Didn't know if still available as winters haven't been bad enough in years to worry about getting snow tires, but it was a ritual back before then.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
i roll with these khumos
khumo tire

they where rated decent all weather, which is what i needed when i go to the mountains for snowboarding and what not.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
PostWhore

Maybe I should get studs. In PA, they are legal from November 1st to April 15th. My thinking is, one insurance deductible would have paid for a whole set of tires, so why not get what you need? I have the Blizzaks for now, however. Maybe next year I will sell them and get studded tires. I haven't really tested them too much, though ... the snow has been light so far.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
Maybe I should get studs. In PA, they are legal from November 1st to April 15th. My thinking is, one insurance deductible would have paid for a whole set of tires, so why not get what you need? I have the Blizzaks for now, however. Maybe next year I will sell them and get studded tires. I haven't really tested them too much, though ... the snow has been light so far.
I feel more comfortable with studs and a bag or two of sand in the trunk on my tbird than a 4X4 suv. You get an excellent handling advantage, and it is stuck like glue to the ground. When an 4wd truc starts to slide its usually impossible to recover, and they roll when they hit the side of the road.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:15 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Zack, I'll second the recomendation for the Winterforce tires. I've had no problem with them on the car. This year I've got them all the way around. Last 2 years I just had them on the rear. They are studable, too. Check the price. Mine were $75 mounted and balanced.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in