seems extremely bizzar - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
seems extremely bizzar

ok so my neighbor comes over to my house asks to fallow her to wheel ware house because...this seems very odd to me. the rims/wheels where vibrating so i'm thinking balancing and done. nope they put a spacer behind it. i think to myself wouldnt you just tighten the lugs better?...appearently not. so they get the spacers put on well i guess they broke?? so now they are going to take these chip foose rims drill into the back of them so the spacer seats into this aluminum rim and then weld it?? would the welds even hold up and stick to aluminum?now my question is why on earth would this need to be done? i know im not the sharpest pencil in the box but you don't put spacers because the rims shake you tighten the lugs or rebalance the tires, or even get longer lugs if they're not tightening down all the way. you put spacers on them to gap them more, and to add clearence?

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
why were spacers needed in the first place? how bad are the wheels vibrating? is it noticeable from watching them turn?

i would never weld spacers on a set of wheels like those.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
so, the wheel shop is going to modify a set of Foose rims? If they have to be modd'd, they werent the correct rims in the first place.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
will im not sure 100% on any of those questions. i mean i assume they are the right saize as it cleared everything it wasnt rubbing it just had a vibration. it's not my car and i didnt have a chance to drive it as its a mercedes and 18 i dont think ill get the chance anytime soon. but it doesnt make any sence to me what so ever to modify a set of 2-4k dollar rims because of vibrations that typically a balancing issues. just seems like they are mucking up the car and rims imho.

im goinmg to have to say thought at first they didnt have any issues now all the sudeen they do it sounds like maybe they losta tire weight. when they bought them it didnt have spacers. the frt time they put it on the car the spacers broke and thats why its back there putting bigger ones and slotting the rim for the bigger spacers

2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:07 PM
PostWhore

Why the spacers?

I understand some spacers with big oval slots will set off center and vibrate, I have cured that the one time I needed 1.4" spacers for clearance between rim edge and a tie rod ends on a Malibu. I mounted the spacers with lug nuts centering them, then drilled through the spacer into the hub and countersunk two 3/16" screws just to locate the spacers, worked perfect.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

yeah. but these where put on because of vibrations. but as far as why they put them on there is probably because there out right dumb.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
your neighbor needs to find a new wheel shop. spacers are not intended to stop vibrations.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
PostWhore

Are you sure they were spacers? Or were they hub-centric rings? Some wheels are lug-centric, some are hub-centric. Our cars are hub-centric, which means the wheel is kept centered by the rim of the hub fitting the hole in the very center of the wheel tightly. I don't know how Mercedes cars are set up. If they are hub-centric and the shop didn't install the correct hub-centric rings, then it would be asking for vibration and failure.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Thats the most messed up rim install I have ever heard of, I'm confused why anything would get welded to a wheel.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Thats the most messed up rim install I have ever heard of, I'm confused why anything would get welded to a wheel.
its so cal, what do you expect? this is coming from a kid who doesnt know the difference between fallow and follow.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:21 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
its so cal, what do you expect? this is coming from a kid who doesnt know the difference between fallow and follow.
Must be all those fine colleges out there that contributes to the fine quality of common sense among techs LOL. I bet the owner of the car is a college grad and can't even change the oil LOL j/k!!!

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Must be all those fine colleges out there that contributes to the fine quality of common sense among techs LOL. I bet the owner of the car is a college grad and can't even change the oil LOL j/k!!!
you're partially right
he's a 40 year old meat head. all he ever does is work out and take steroids. he doesn't know didly about cars and i change his oil.

the car is a mercedes bens. it didnt need spacers when they first installed them. they've had them for probably 4 years now i think and now all the sudden they got the vibrations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in