Refinishing SPORT wheels?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink Refinishing SPORT wheels??

Looks like most of the clearcoat has basicly worn off of the wheels on my '97 SPORT.....what is the best way to finish removing it and refinish the wheels?? and the plastic center caps are fadded as well.....Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

Plain old Krylon makes a paint that will match the original paint on SC & Mk8 wheels. I'm sorry I dont remember the exact color, but it is common and will be found anywhere you find Krylon.
Aluminum, silver, silver aluminum, ?? When using Krylon clear coat, try to get by with as little as possible. Too many coats of clear will yellow.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink

You'd PAINT aluminum?? the guys over at www.ford-trucks.com have done this on Lightening wheels and it looks great!! it has also been suggested to use URATHANE CLEAR???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:47 PM
The Parts Guy

I've sandblasted and repainted a few sets with good results.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 AM
PostWhore

Polished works well. Once smoothed and polished, depending on environment, it takes just a few minutes every 6 months or so to keep them looking good. I've done 10 holes for my '85 ...

... and a set of Coguar 7 spokes for my '92. I made the centers.

Not sure how your sport wheels will look, haven't seen a set done yet. Dupli Color has a line of wheels specific paint out now, I've used the aluminum metal flake and clearcoat on some Subaru Forester wheels, looks great. My Mercury GM has factory Ford "Lacey spoke" wheels with the factory metalic silver which looks great, the Dupli Color is might near as good looking.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink

Thanks for the replies so far!!!! The guy over at the Ford truck site removed the clear coat from the Lightening wheels and used a high heat silver/aluminum paint and then he used a "Kroma" something clear?? I've forgotten if he said it was Duplicolor or Krylon??

How would I go about smoothing an ever so slight curb rash on 1 of my wheels lip as I clean them up??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Horner View Post
Plain old Krylon makes a paint that will match the original paint on SC & Mk8 wheels. I'm sorry I dont remember the exact color, but it is common and will be found anywhere you find Krylon.
Aluminum, silver, silver aluminum, ?? When using Krylon clear coat, try to get by with as little as possible. Too many coats of clear will yellow.
I'm new here, so I don't know what the color of the SC &Mk8 wheels looks like, but is it the same color as the fanblades off a 94? Cause I need to repaint my center caps.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:50 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
Thanks for the replies so far!!!! The guy over at the Ford truck site removed the clear coat from the Lightening wheels and used a high heat silver/aluminum paint and then he used a "Kroma" something clear?? I've forgotten if he said it was Duplicolor or Krylon??

How would I go about smoothing an ever so slight curb rash on 1 of my wheels lip as I clean them up??
I used sandpaper, or even a file at first, then went to sand paper and finally polish. Had a few knicks on those wheels above but smoothed them out.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
I used sandpaper, or even a file at first, then went to sand paper and finally polish. Had a few knicks on those wheels above but smoothed them out.
This is what I did to a set of wheels I bought here.

I used a stone on the gouges I had, polished them to a shine, and coated them with uv-capable urethane clearcoat inside and out.

This fills all the pores in the metal as well; I've fixed slow leaks on cycle wheels like this.

The nicest part is that brake dust won't stick to them...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink

I would think you wouldn't want to PAINT the wheels with ANY color, just strip them, polish then spray with a good quality (Urathane clear??) but then what would be the best match for painting the center caps which are plastic??
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
I would think you wouldn't want to PAINT the wheels with ANY color, just strip them, polish then spray with a good quality (Urathane clear??) but then what would be the best match for painting the center caps which are plastic??
What is your reasoning for this? I'm not being a jerk, I am just curious? As far as I know, many wheels, including the Sport wheels, come painted from the factory.

I actually repainted my sport wheels a gloss black, as the old paint was in terrible shape. It isn't really that difficult to do, but it is a bit time consuming. All I did was sand the old wheels, and also attempted to clean up any nicks/chips/curb rash on them at the same time. Then, using the old paint as a primer, I resprayed the wheels. They came out pretty good.

The one thing that you should keep in mind is that the wheels are pretty difficult to machine polish, so you will want to thing about that before trying to color sand and buff them. I bought the powerball thing that goes onto the drill, but my drill really wasn't good enough to spin the thing as fast as I would have liked. Unfortunately, the wheels have a little more orange peel than I would like, but one day I'll get around to sanding and buffing them out better.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91TwighlightGT View Post
What is your reasoning for this? I'm not being a jerk, I am just curious? As far as I know, many wheels, including the Sport wheels, come painted from the factory.
The machined face of my stock wheels looks killer; I would not paint them with color paint, ever. (I have the 21-spoke aluminum Cougar wheels on both cars)

Would you paint a chrome intake?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The machined face of my stock wheels looks killer; I would not paint them with color paint, ever. (I have the 21-spoke aluminum Cougar wheels on both cars)

Would you paint a chrome intake?
Okay, I gotcha. Makes sense, I just thought you were kinda saying to generally never paint any wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in