Moving to 245's, and have some questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Moving to 245's, and have some questions

Hey guys,

For next year, I'm looking to get some wider tires, right now I'm running 215/60R15 on the RR and a 215/70R15 on the RF. The left sides are both 205/60R15's. I'm looking to put 245's on the right side, and from what I have found by searching, the 245/60R15 on the RR wont be an issue, but am I going to run into an issue running the 70 series up front? I know I'll probably have to cut the fender out, but working on the car today, I got to looking and I'm a little worried about the tire clearance where the upper ball joint comes through the spindle. I've also read mixed reviews on the 245/60R15's and tire roll, I usually run a tube in my RR, anyone think I'll run into issues, maybe I should go with the 235's instead?

Remember guys, this is for a track only car,

Thanks for your input,

Brandon

BLittle500

2008 Racing Shirts Are In!!!

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (Race Car)
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (2009 Race Car)
2003 Ford F-250 Superduty 5.4L (Daily Driver) FOR SALE
2004 Honda CBR600RR uhhh 0.6L (Sh!ts & Giggles)

1995 LX Dirt Oval Race Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Up front

Hello

I run 215-70-15 LF
225-70-15 RF
I use 15 X 7 steel wheels from a Ranger or Explorer(hub swap)

I have run A 235 on RF also

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I'd run as wide a tire as your rules allow. The more rubber you can get on the road, er, dirt, the faster you'll corner. Faster cornering = faster straightaway speeds.

If the outside of the fender is a factor, then beat it out or cut it out as your rules allow.

Concerning the inner side, are you restricted to a stock rim or can you run an aftermarket? Are you allowed different offsets? How about wheel spacers? I ran a stock based class that switched mid-year to 8" slicks on 7" rims. I had a bad time with tires rubbing against my rear frame rails. A pair of 1/4" wheel spacers made all the difference. Your need may vary, as may your rules.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear Poster

IMHO, you should look at the aspect ratio of the tire as a big factor for your tire choice. the 245-45-18 on my SC never have any rubbing issues. thats not to say you don't need more sidewall, but that's where the problem is goint to lay. more sidewall taller tire and spacers.
less aspect ratio like a 45 for instance will give you less deflection and verry little sidewall roll. stiffer sides.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmill95 View Post
IMHO, you should look at the aspect ratio of the tire as a big factor for your tire choice. the 245-45-18 on my SC never have any rubbing issues. thats not to say you don't need more sidewall, but that's where the problem is goint to lay. more sidewall taller tire and spacers.
less aspect ratio like a 45 for instance will give you less deflection and verry little sidewall roll. stiffer sides.

Very beneficial on pavement. Not so advantageous on a dirt track where tire pressures of 8-15 lbs are the norm. Late Model and Sprint cars on dirt actually sipe their tires a little ways into the sidewall for more bite.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear Poster

so you are actually looking for sidewall deflection, or just expecting it and adding a traction adder like sipeing?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmill95 View Post
so you are actually looking for sidewall deflection, or just expecting it and adding a traction adder like sipeing?

Not sure if a stock class like his allows siping. Likely not.

Deflection, though, is gonna happen in the dirt world with low air pressures and on dirt some deflection is a slight advantage as there is more surface area to dig into the surface. More so on a tacky track than on dry-slick conditions, but every square inch counts. Check out a race tire for a dirt late model or sprinter. The sidewalls are quite flexible. You can easily mount these tires with hand tools. Much different world than asphalt, where sidewalls are stiff and deflection is detrimental.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonJon View Post
Not sure if a stock class like his allows siping. Likely not.

Deflection, Much different world than asphalt, where sidewalls are stiff and deflection is detrimental.
Hello

I here that. But We can only run 70's at our track. (1/2 mile asphalt)
different than Brandons (bLittle500)

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Our rules state that only 60 or 70 series are allowed. Tire grooving is allowed, even though my Cooper Cobras already have a great tread on them for the heavy stuff, I do sipe my tires to get heat in them quickly during our short features.

We must also run "stock" wheels, so I just run the factory fan blades.

By the marks on the side walls of my RR tires, I only have about 1.5 inches until I'm running on the wheel, so some more sidewall wouldn't hurt.

I was just more or less worried about the clearance on my RF suspension, but I guess like TeflonJon said, some spacers would take care of that. I'm heading to the wider tires for forward bite coming out of the turns, there is no point in adjusting my car until I stuff the biggest tires under there that I can go. I was fast last year, but like any other racer, I always want to be faster and now that it's the off season, I'm really digging for some advantages heading into next year.

Thanks for all the input so far guys,

Brandon

BLittle500

2008 Racing Shirts Are In!!!

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (Race Car)
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (2009 Race Car)
2003 Ford F-250 Superduty 5.4L (Daily Driver) FOR SALE
2004 Honda CBR600RR uhhh 0.6L (Sh!ts & Giggles)

1995 LX Dirt Oval Race Car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in