Thinking about new tires... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Thinking about new tires...

Hey folks,

I'm finally in the market for new tires for my 97 and after some research I've come pretty close to a decision. I'm looking at Firestone's Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I should be able to get a set of four for under $400 total, which fits my budget. I'm mostly worried about snow traction and road noise - I know they'll be fine on dry roads and in rain. Anything should be better than what's on the car now: a set of FR680s on the rear (worn to 3/32", no traction at all...) and (this is the kicker...) a Goodyear Integrity with a slow leak on the left front and a Dayton Quadra SE on the right front.

Anyone have any experience with these Indy 500s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Voice/Data Guru

None here just my 2 cents BFGoodrich T/As on the bird and nothing but great reviews on the performance of the tires The Wife has BFG traction T/As great tires as well

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I actually was considering the Traction T/As for a while but shied away (can't recall exactly what the reason was now...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I was get the Firehawks and bought Cooper Cobras instead. So far they are getting me thru the winter. Of course I drive it like I want it to stay on the road.
Wet traction is definetely stepped up since I put them on.

Angela
Powered By Ford
1994 Thunderbird LX V8, Black
2004 Mustang Mach 1, Oxford White
1990 Mustang LX, Vert 5.0, '7-Up Special'
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I'm being extra particular with this new set because the car slips and slides even in barely 1/8" of snow!

The rear tires are so bad that if I keep the throttle in the same position as I'm slowly accelerating (note, this is a very small percent, maybe 5-10% throttle... wherever I have it in order to start moving without generating wheelspin), they'll start to spin when the car shifts into second gear.

Going about 15 MPH and braking to 10 before a turn, the car starts to lose traction on the front tires and wants to spin out or go in its own direction when I go into any 90 degree turns (not sharp by any means - I take these turns at 20 or so MPH in dry weather).
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Okay, 'nother question. Anyone know if the Firestone tire shops (shares the website, firestonecompleteautocare.com) will match an online price? I found the Indy 500 for $70 in my size at highperformancetire.com, $19 less than the shop's price.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Okay, 'nother question. Anyone know if the Firestone tire shops (shares the website, firestonecompleteautocare.com) will match an online price? I found the Indy 500 for $70 in my size at highperformancetire.com, $19 less than the shop's price.
If I remember correctly when I was pricing tires with shops in town, I was in need so couldn't wait for online shopping... The Firestone shop here wanted a good deal more than I could find them for online. I didn't think about asking for price matching though. Not much help LOL, but FYI that my shop was more pricey. I did bring your thread back to the top though.

Angela
Powered By Ford
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, I had a set on the car before I switched to the new rims and Sumo's They're great tires. I've actually run two sets of these (I liked the first so much when they wore out I bought another set). They run quiet have great traction and treadwear (500).

They were on the car when I made these runs.

Beat a Dodge

Run against a Toyota Supra - I beat him to 60' he had turbo lag lol.

Run Against a Trans AM - I beat him to 60' too.

My best run of the day - Dashboard View

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-12-2009 at 08:36 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quite a few nice runs there, TM.

Apparently Firestone (or at least the shop I called) will price match any online competitor's quote for an identical set of tires with shipping.

Shop price for the Firehawk Indy 500s is $88.99 ($355.96 for four); I found them at roadwaywholesaletire.com for $67.83 a piece ($271.32 for four) plus $46.92 for shipping: total cost would be $318.24, a savings of $37.72 or 10.6%.

Last edited by theterminator93; 01-11-2009 at 10:37 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
5th Gear Poster

If road noise is a big concern I'd avoid these. I went from Michelin X1's on my Tbird to Indy 500's. Definate increase of noise on cement roads.

Not the most impressive in the snow. With the blocky tread I was expecting better.

Rain and straight line dry traction was excellent. Especially for the price.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6L 15.5 @ 88
94 LHS 3.5L 15.8 @ 88, wife's car
87 Ram 5.9L 15.0 @ 87
69 Super Bee, under construction
65 Plymouth Belvedere 225cid, wife's toy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/755303
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Voice/Data Guru

NICE there TM

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsram View Post
If road noise is a big concern I'd avoid these. I went from Michelin X1's on my Tbird to Indy 500's. Definate increase of noise on cement roads.

Not the most impressive in the snow. With the blocky tread I was expecting better.

Rain and straight line dry traction was excellent. Especially for the price.
I should be okay with them. I'm coming up from practically bald FR680s on the rear and a Goodyear Integrity/Dayton Quadra SE on the front. Anything would be better than those.

Concrete roads around here are nearly non existent and noise isn't a big concern with me. Dry and wet traction are obviously the biggest factors. As for snow, like I said... anything's an improvement over nearly bald rear tires.

Besides, I couldn't really find anything comparably better for the price. $320 total for the tires, plus $60-$80 in installation/balancing + fees + tax. I'll know how they run in about a week; tire appointment's scheduled for next Wednesday.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Had my Jag out the other day nice snow traction on the P6 Four Seasons by Pirelli

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6+Four+Seasons

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ehawk+Indy+500

That's basically how I compared. I also looked up all TireRack's reporting T-Birds with the Indys and nearly all rated it 7+/10.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ents=Y&index=0
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Arrighty, I did indeed go with the Indy 500s. I had to call around to find a shop that had them in stock.

So far the improvement in snow traction is definite. I drove it around in a parking lot a little harder than I would've normally on the street in the snow to get a feel for their performance in that respect.

If I was taking a turn and started to slip then let off the throttle in my old tires, the car would keep sliding with NO traction whatsoever until the car slowed down a few MPH. The Indys will start biting and pulling my nose to the side (whichever way I'm turning) the instant I let off the gas. I'm very impressed with that. There is also at least 75-100% more startup traction. Braking traction is exceptional. I didn't get any lockups or slippage in my "faster than normal dry road" 30-0 stop braking.

I haven't had much time on dry or wet roads so far. However from what experience I have had, they're glued to the road when it's dry. I took a turn at speeds that my other tires would've been squealing at; not a chirp from the new set.

The only category where I've downgraded is road noise. Before I wasn't able to distinguish any discernable tire/tread noise (if only because they were practically bald ), now I am able to hear a slight beehive sound if I listen for it starting around 30 MPH. It's not audible if I have the radio on though.

I'll try to get a couple pics up tomorrow AM.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Arrighty, I did indeed go with the Indy 500s. I had to call around to find a shop that had them in stock.

So far the improvement in snow traction is definite. I drove it around in a parking lot a little harder than I would've normally on the street in the snow to get a feel for their performance in that respect.

If I was taking a turn and started to slip then let off the throttle in my old tires, the car would keep sliding with NO traction whatsoever until the car slowed down a few MPH. The Indys will start biting and pulling my nose to the side (whichever way I'm turning) the instant I let off the gas. I'm very impressed with that. There is also at least 75-100% more startup traction. Braking traction is exceptional. I didn't get any lockups or slippage in my "faster than normal dry road" 30-0 stop braking.

I haven't had much time on dry or wet roads so far. However from what experience I have had, they're glued to the road when it's dry. I took a turn at speeds that my other tires would've been squealing at; not a chirp from the new set.

The only category where I've downgraded is road noise. Before I wasn't able to distinguish any discernable tire/tread noise (if only because they were practically bald ), now I am able to hear a slight beehive sound if I listen for it starting around 30 MPH. It's not audible if I have the radio on though.

I'll try to get a couple pics up tomorrow AM.
So you have the white lettered stuff showing, right? I think that look is amazing on our cars.

Your choice was mine also til my car friend/ seller of mah Bird talked me into the Cooper Cobras. Glad to hear they perform well for you. Mine are doing the job nicely, too. We've had some pretty rotten weather, snow is the norm, along with a day of bad black ice, and so far so good. I have remarked to others how much better this Bird does in the bad weather than my 95 did. Should be similar but this time it's better, must be the good tires with a couple of sand bag mods in the trunk.

Angela
Powered By Ford
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Most definitely. We didn't get any ice up here in NE Ohio, so I can't say how the ice traction is at the moment.

Ya know, I was too anxious to wait, so I snapped a pic. She's not too perdy looking all salted up and dirty right now, but she's had worse days. If you look you can still sorta' see some blue tint left on the letters!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Nice. Glad you like them. Be careful, new tires aren't magic bullets against snow, ice and rain.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Nice. Glad you like them. Be careful, new tires aren't magic bullets against snow, ice and rain.
Oh, I know. I don't intend on driving any differently than I did when I had the mega crap tires, but I think it's always good to know the limits of what's holding you to the street.

-Brandon

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Oh, I know. I don't intend on driving any differently than I did when I had the mega crap tires, but I think it's always good to know the limits of what's holding you to the street.
Agreed. I still drive it like I want to save it. But with usual caution in the bad weather the tires are seeing me through. That advice is good, I think too many people get overly confident in the crappy weather (mmm, SUV drivers for one example!) Just be smart and hopefully the tires help you.

And don't don't feel bad about the salty ride. Ugh. You should see mine. It went through the car wash yesterday but that was one day, you can't even tell now. I notice my hood and front look sharp but the sides of the car look like every other dirty car. Looking forward to seeing yours and my Bird back in their full glory.

Angela