New Wheels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

New Wheels

I just put on my new wheels. They're 18" Charcoal cobra R replicas from The Custom Wheels shop. Thanks Cudaz101!

-Josh
My Car Domain

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy
to deprive a man of his natural liberty
upon the supposition that he may abuse it."
-George Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
6th Gear Poster

very sharp, now just take car care of that rotor rust and paint them calipers

-Joe-
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-Speed
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #1251
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Those look great on your car! Which tires did you decide to go with? Lower that bad boy and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis97xr7 View Post
very sharp, now just take car care of that rotor rust and paint them calipers

They should look like this when you're done.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
6th Gear Poster

thats more like it ^^^ nice setup

-Joe-
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-Speed
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #1251
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I know.

Man, I know. The rotor rust/ non painted calipers. It was never an issue when I couldn't see them. lol. I'll probably paint my calipers, and clean up the rotors pretty soon. I want to put the 13" rotors and cobra calipers on, but I have to get the transmission done next. Rebuild/J-mod. I'm hoping to get it done at the same time, but for some reason the people who own shops around here are keep it stock nazi's. Oh well. The tires are Fierce HP's 245/45/18.

I did clear corners today as well.

And yes I know, I need to clean the head light assembly too. haha.

Also, for those of you who may be curious, my dad and brother are putting power steering in the Bronco in the background.

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington

Last edited by Ex Nihilo; 01-10-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the tire's
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
hmm, pearl white and charcoal rims... HOT!!!

Very nice!

-Matt
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys. I have to say I'm amazed how much better it looks over my sport wheels. I thought it would look better, but I think it makes my whole car look better.

Josh

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Nihilo View Post
Man, I know. The rotor rust/ non painted calipers. It was never an issue when I couldn't see them. lol. I'll probably paint my calipers, and clean up the rotors pretty soon. I want to put the 13" rotors and cobra calipers on, but I have to get the transmission done next. Rebuild/J-mod. I'm hoping to get it done at the same time, but for some reason the people who own shops around here are keep it stock nazi's. Oh well. The tires are Fierce HP's 245/45/18.

I know how it is. Just take one thing at a time. The end result will always be well worth the wait.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys. I have to say I'm amazed how much better it looks over my sport wheels. I thought it would look better, but I think it makes my whole car look better.

Josh
Changing rims/tires is a big upgrade for any car. They truly do re-define the look of a vehicle and yours looks amazing. (Of course I'm just a little biased) lol.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-11-2009 at 07:58 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Lower it, Tint the windows, and trow the hood bra away and call it a day.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy4aday View Post
Lower it, Tint the windows, and trow the hood bra away and call it a day.
I'd love to tint the windows, but in California you can't tint the driver side or passenger side windows. I don't like the way it looks with just the back windows tinted, so I'm not going to. As for lowering.. I was thinking 1.6" but now that I've seen the wheels on my car I might just do 1"

I like the Hood bra, plus it's covering some chipped paint that's poorly primed lol.

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington

Last edited by Ex Nihilo; 01-11-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Fixed some grammar
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry to hear about the crappy tint laws out there.

I've got the 1.6" Vogtlands on mine and like where the car sits. I've never had a problem with clearing speed bumps or straddling road kill, etc.

I think you'll be fine - and very happy with - a 1.6" drop.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Sorry to hear about the crappy tint laws out there.

I've got the 1.6" Vogtlands on mine and like where the car sits. I've never had a problem with clearing speed bumps or straddling road kill, etc.

I think you'll be fine - and very happy with - a 1.6" drop.
Yeah, maybe. I'm not sure yet. It's a ways down the road anyway. How does the 1.6" drop handle 5 people in the car? I don't have 5 people in my car often, but it happens.

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Not well. With 4 people in the car I have rubbing issues with the back tires on the fender wells. Keep in mind that I have 275 tires in the rear and didn't curl the fender lips. When I'm driving the car by myself or with just my wife and I in the car it handles fine.

Other than that the car didn't have a problem with carrying 4 people. I wouldn't recommend carring four or five people for more than a very short trip. If you don't have them yet you'll want some firm shocks to go with the lower springs.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
I'd love to tint the windows, but in California you can't tint the driver side or passenger side windows. I don't like the way it looks with just the back windows tinted, so I'm not going to. As for lowering.. I was thinking 1.6" but now that I've seen the wheels on my car I might just do 1".
I used to have 5% tint all the way around but I usually drove with the windows down. You can get away with light tint on the front driver and passenger windows just not 5% like I had. With 18's IMO it looks best dropped 1.5".

'97 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC - Stock
'93 Ford Thunderbird - Splitport & M5r2
'64 Chevrolet Impala SS - Stock
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 PM

I have H&R drop springs on my Mark VIII and I roll out with the wifey and 2 kids the dog and grocceries and have no problems bottoming out.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
Looks good, love the pearl birds!.....Curious as to what it would look like with white wheels... Might be tacky on a thunderbird, but looks great on SOME other cars

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Not well. With 4 people in the car I have rubbing issues with the back tires on the fender wells. Keep in mind that I have 275 tires in the rear and didn't curl the fender lips. When I'm driving the car by myself or with just my wife and I in the car it handles fine.

Other than that the car didn't have a problem with carrying 4 people. I wouldn't recommend carring four or five people for more than a very short trip. If you don't have them yet you'll want some firm shocks to go with the lower springs.
Yeah, like I said it's going to be a while before I decide. I've got to find the best compromise between function and looks. .. when isn't that the case? I plan on doing Koni shocks, progressive rate lowering springs of some sort, and refreshing all the bushings while I'm in there. It probably won't happen for a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy4aday View Post
I have H&R drop springs on my Mark VIII and I roll out with the wifey and 2 kids the dog and grocceries and have no problems bottoming out.
It's not so much bottoming out that I'm worried about, just tire rub. Also, Love the Mark VIII's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpipessavelives View Post
Looks good, love the pearl birds!.....Curious as to what it would look like with white wheels... Might be tacky on a thunderbird, but looks great on SOME other cars
Might look good, I don't know. I can't think of many cars I've seen with white wheels that looked good in my opinion. Besides that, I like the way the dark gray goes with the pearl, it really brings out the lines of the car and makes it pop, In my opinion as well I suppose. You're right though it might be interesting to see.

Josh

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Glad you are happy with the setup Josh!! =)

As long as you stick with the tire size you are currently running you won't ever have to worry about tire rub regardless of load or lowering up to 2"... =)

If you decide at some point you want to run a 275MM+ rear tire then you are going to contend with tire rub.

The car looks great!! Deff a step in the right direction bro!! Enjoy!!

Cheers

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Ooo, Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaz101 View Post
Glad you are happy with the setup Josh!! =)

As long as you stick with the tire size you are currently running you won't ever have to worry about tire rub regardless of load or lowering up to 2"... =)

If you decide at some point you want to run a 275MM+ rear tire then you are going to contend with tire rub.

The car looks great!! Deff a step in the right direction bro!! Enjoy!!

Cheers

Brad
Awesome!! I will be going with the 1.6" drop then. Eventually. Thanks, for the info, the tires/wheels, and the compliments.

Josh

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Red97Tbird
I have 245x45x18's and it rubs when I hit dips with just me in the car ..On the back I have 275x45x18's till monday and that will go to 285x45x18's..I have a 1.5 drop and with 3 people in the car I run on all 4 corners when I go over dips.. Sounds sooo bad..
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red97Tbird View Post
I have 245x45x18's and it rubs when I hit dips with just me in the car ..On the back I have 275x45x18's till monday and that will go to 285x45x18's..I have a 1.5 drop and with 3 people in the car I run on all 4 corners when I go over dips.. Sounds sooo bad..
So you are talkin about the fronts then...Since you are running a 275MM rear the point is only stating the obvious... =)

If it is the front it must be rubbing on the plastic skirt inside the wheel well. This is minor and might be due to some worn shocks? Regardless, I am speaking with respect to inner and outter clearance. =)

You should consider the Airbag helpers. I really like them on my own setups. I have some heavy stereo gear and am always loading my cars full of ppl...Rub never even comes to mind... =)

Cheers

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
6th Gear Poster

The outer lip of the fender cuts into my tire at times... I can take pic's to show you.. And yes it does rub the plastic inside the fender.. The rear wheels also rub if it's more then me in the car if I go over a dip.. The roads around he suck.. The shocks, Struts and spring are only about 2 years old..
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Quote:
The outer lip of the fender cuts into my tire at times... I can take pic's to show you.. And yes it does rub the plastic inside the fender.. The rear wheels also rub if it's more then me in the car if I go over a dip.. The roads around he suck.. The shocks, Struts and spring are only about 2 years old..
Im lowered over 2" and don't rub...Dunno what to tell ya...I don't need pics.

The rears are obviously going to rub..=) Get bags.

Oh and slow down...lol

What setup are you running exactly??

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
6th Gear Poster

I'm running Eibach springs with Tokico shocks..
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I agree that the half-bra thing has got to go. It totally ruins the look of the car. Makes it look like the car has a giant unibrow. I've never understood the appeal of these things. Great looking car otherwise.

\,,/
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Quote:
I'm running Eibach springs with Tokico shocks..
Right on....And wheels?? size and specs...18's I presume...Otherwise I have no idea.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemelancholic View Post
I agree that the half-bra thing has got to go. It totally ruins the look of the car. Makes it look like the car has a giant unibrow. I've never understood the appeal of these things. Great looking car otherwise.
I don't know. It's not horrible. Plus like I said, it's covering some blemishes until I can fix them. lol. Also, I prefer not to think of cars as faces, stupid Chevron commercials/ Disney movies.

Thanks,

Josh

-Josh
My Car Domain

-George Washington

Last edited by Ex Nihilo; 01-15-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: To improve the overall quality of the message.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
6th Gear Poster

Yea my wheels size's are in my first post..
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Quote:
Yea my wheels size's are in my first post..
Uh....There are no specs on the wheels...Obviously 18's but unless you have a +36MM offset 18X9 you are talking apples to oranges really in comparing your results to what Josh could expect with his setup. I was asking you because I was not sure what you were running. Im pretty sure you are using a Mustang hubswap setup. Your 18X9's are probably +28MM which would make more sense with respect to your Rub Problem.

So if any of that is true all of this chatter is worthless.

Cheers

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
6th Gear Poster

I'm running mustang wheels.. 4.5 on 5 .. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=red97tbird

Thats a link to pic's of my car..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in