Pirelli's P4 Four Season Tires - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Pirelli's P4 Four Season Tires

I'm in the market for new tires. I have had Toyo Spectrums on my 96 Sport for 5 years now. i liked them a lot, I drove a lot of highway and they have many miles on them. I am now looking at the Pirelli P4's. They have a high tread wear of 760, which I need for the distances I drive.

I was wondering if anyone has used them before. I read that a fellow member ran P6's on his Jag and loved them. Any comments on the P4's?

Thanks guys
JonFrank

Jon, 96 Thunderbird LX Sport
2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Jon Know one has gotten back to you on the P4s I am the one with the P6s on my Jag they are great tires and i have a idea that the p4s would be in the same ballpark

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That's great ThunderChecken. I had a feeling it was you but didn't want to say your name and be wrong! I think the P6's are just a step above. Do your P6's handle decently? And not that it really matters but how do they look?

Thanks for helping.

2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Voice/Data Guru

They handle great even in the snow Being that my Jag is AWD they have great traction
here is a shot of them

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
PostWhore

The P4s aren't a bad tire for the price. I was at a Pirelli tire intro handled through one of our local tire wholelsalers. We drove a couple of different vehicles on the P4, and they worked quite nicely.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Ed I think you definitely validate any of you tire reviews with your avatar!! Thanks

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

thanks for all the help. I have a few more questions though. I will be getting 4 new tires for the car shortly and have been debating a few things.

I wanted a little bigger footprint so if I ran a 235/60r16 it would be the same height as factory, or actually a bit taller. Since my car is not lowered nor will it be in the near future going shorter is not an option. will the 235/60r16's be the best?

Also, Toyo Spectrums are on the car now. I really enjoyed them they had a thread rating of 580, traction A, temp B. I probably put 85,000-90,000 on this set...I drive probably 70% highway.

I have been looking at tires, I can get some pretty cheap in the 235/60 size but the thread rating is ~440. How much will I notice a rating of ~440 compared to my 580's? Please answer this realistically and not with tire company's written theoretical jargon.

Also, Do yall have any recommendations for 235/60r16's? Trying to stay in the $90 or lower price range (lower is always better).
Thanks guys,
Jon

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 AM
PostWhore

235/60R16 is a good choice for a stock ride height car, fills up the wheelwells a bit better.

As for the tread wear ratings, be aware that they are NOT comparable between different brands of tires. For whatever reason there has never been any mandated rules with standardized testing for this. What happens is that each manufacturer will pick a "control" tire from their lineup of different models, test it, and assign it a treadwear rating number, say 400 for example. When they test their other models of tires, if it wears quicker than the control tire, the rating will be less than 400, if it wears better, higher than 400.

So the short version of that is when you look at Brand "A" with a 400 tread wear rating, it may not be the same expected life as Brand "B" with a 400 rating.

BTW, tires have tread, not thread.

cheers
Ed N.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Ahhhh, I don't know why I keep doing that!! Midterms must be wearing on me!

fast Ed I'm starting to figure out that the ratings don't mean squat. It's really frustrating. I really need my tires to last ~65,000 so I think I'm just going to go with what I know, the toyo spectrums. I just really like the Falken ZE-912's, I hate decisions!!

Who would have thought that performance tires are softer!! [sarcasm]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in