What psi? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

What psi?

I feel like I've been starting a lot of thread lately, but I've got lots of questions. My tires always look a bit low, and I noticed that the tire say 45 psi while the car says 35 (or it maybe 40/30, the tires are 10 more than the car). So I checked the tires and they were set at what the car said, so I filled them up to what the tires said. Later, completely forgetting I had done this, I was at a local mechanics, and he was letting air out and had the front desk lady come talk to me. She said "Who put airs in your tires?" I said I did, she said "They were 10 over, you shouldn't ever have them more than what the door jamb says" I said that I was going off what the tire said. She kinda paused and then starting saying something about how it doesn't matter what the tire says, it should be what the car says. I was just like, whatever, do what you want. I didn't feel like arguing because I've done business with them before and she doesn't really know what she's talking about most of the time. She thinks she knows a lot about cars because she's been working the desk for 20 years or something.

Later I check my tire pressure. They had actually "over" inflated (according to what the lady said they should be) so it was right in between the two ratings, like they were kind unsure so they just averaged them.

What should I go off of for tire pressure?

Another quick story, I took my car there for an oil change. I asked for high mileage and she said thats a waste because all that's different is it's full of additive which car manufactures don't suggest. Then she was saying how the only additive they suggest using is this ting (I don't remember) and that I should use it if I've never used it. (So she was bashing on additives, then was trying to sell me some). So I went with regular oil, and about a week later I noticed my rear main was leaking. So I had to buy some Bar's Leaks to try and stop it. I thought this story was very ironic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM
4th Gear Poster

If you would reread what is says on the tire, I believe it should say "MAXIMUM PRESSURE", not
inflate to.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Go with the Lady. Check cold pressure ( parked for 3hrs. or more ) Use what car calls for. Putting air in Hot is not the thing to do. But if nessary use 4psi over cold recommended. Always go back and check pressure when Tires are cold.

96, LX 2V 4.6 just K&N cone with ScanGauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you are using tires with the same load rating as the door jam specifies, then use the recommended pressure as well. If you are using a load rating tire LOWER than specified, then you need to increase it.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

What you set the tire presure at affects the ride quality and traction. If you go higher than what the door jam has then you will probably fell more of the road becauce the tire has less give to it. Also by raising the air presure you are more likely to lose traction during aggressive driving. During hard cornering the tire sidewall wont be able to give.
I run 225-60-16 Goodyear RS-A Plus at about 40 psi on my 91 T-Bird.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
What you set the tire presure at affects the ride quality and traction. If you go higher than what the door jam has then you will probably fell more of the road becauce the tire has less give to it. Also by raising the air presure you are more likely to lose traction during aggressive driving. During hard cornering the tire sidewall wont be able to give.
I run 225-60-16 Goodyear RS-A Plus at about 40 psi on my 91 T-Bird.
Wow - 40 psi!! Isn't that kind of high, especially for Eagle RS-A's? I don't think those are particularly soft-riding tires! What does the sidewall on those tires say is the MAXIMUM inflation pressure, and what does the sticker on the door jamb say is the recommended pressure for your T-Bird?

Dennis
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

The tire has 44 psi max and the door jam has 30 psi.

A friend who is a Deputy and driving instructer said to run 34 psi with this tires.. I don't drive like they have to and just like running the higher presure. Plus they dont look flat then.

Once I fix all the bushings in the suspension I will try 34 psi again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
The tire has 44 psi max and the door jam has 30 psi.

A friend who is a Deputy and driving instructer said to run 34 psi with this tires.. I don't drive like they have to and just like running the higher presure. Plus they dont look flat then.

Once I fix all the bushings in the suspension I will try 34 psi again.
Yeah, me personally, I wouldn't run any higher than 34 psi - I just don't like the extra impact harshness. I would probably actually run maybe 32 psi.

I'll bet you get noticeably better gas mileage running 40 psi, though!

Dennis
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:04 PM
4th Gear Poster

It did but then I added some 3.73s and it went back down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in