To pack the wheel bearing or not.... - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
To pack the wheel bearing or not....

I've been doing some reading and searching, and can't find a solid answer on this, when replacing the front wheel bearings/hubs does it need to be packed with grease?

Here's why I ask, I read one single post that says they are pre-lubricated and don't need to be packed with grease. Well my dad in all his years of experience has never seen anything like that and firmly believes the bearing should be packed with grease. He's a stubborn old coot and I can't tell him otherwise.

this after already noticing on a few separate occasions that the MN12s are a little different from most cars on the road.... Brakes for instance, easiest job I've ever done, pads sit in, caliper slides down done. ...... this is after almost 30 mins of arguing that the pads don't get clipped into the caliper like most cars.

So, who's right?? do the wheel bearings need to be packed with grease or not?
BigJohnny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sdavis872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Age: 28
Posts: 933
Um, they are not serviceable, so I don't think you can really pack them with grease. I've not done them so I may be wrong, but I do know you really don't have to deal with the bearings because you just swap the hubs. Like I said, I have not done these, but I'm pretty sure my repair manual says nothing about packing with grease.
sdavis872 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
you can pop the cap off the end easily enough, you have to, to get the nut off so you can remove the hub.
BigJohnny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
I've been doing some reading and searching, and can't find a solid answer on this, when replacing the front wheel bearings/hubs does it need to be packed with grease?

Here's why I ask, I read one single post that says they are pre-lubricated and don't need to be packed with grease. Well my dad in all his years of experience has never seen anything like that and firmly believes the bearing should be packed with grease. He's a stubborn old coot and I can't tell him otherwise.

this after already noticing on a few separate occasions that the MN12s are a little different from most cars on the road.... Brakes for instance, easiest job I've ever done, pads sit in, caliper slides down done. ...... this is after almost 30 mins of arguing that the pads don't get clipped into the caliper like most cars.

So, who's right?? do the wheel bearings need to be packed with grease or not?
"The front wheel bearings are pregreased, sealed and require no scheduled maintenance. The front wheel bearings are preset and cannot be adjusted. If a bearing is disassembled for any reason, the wheel hub assembly must be replaced."

That is a quote direct from the Ford factory service manual. Do NOT put any grease into a new, sealed wheel hub/bearing assembly - to do so will cause premature failure!!

Your father may know a lot about older cars, but older procedures do not apply to newer car - things are much different nowadays than they used to be! I would bet almost all newer cars use mostly sealed, non-serviceable wheel hub/bearing assemblies.

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 49
Posts: 3,726
Just have him do the cap, rotor, points, condenser, set the idle mixture and idle air on the carb, set the timing, adjust the bands in the transmission, adjust the tension of the accessory belt, take the tires in for a recap, change the oil every 2500 miles, grease all the greasable suspension parts.

While you just remove and replace the sealed for life non-serviceable hub and bearing assembly.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Bangster is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Moderator
 
Grog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Harriman, TN
Age: 56
Posts: 10,130
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
That is a quote direct from the Ford factory service manual. Do NOT put any grease into a new, sealed wheel hub/bearing assembly - to do so will cause premature failure!!
The manual says only that the original bearings were sealed.

The bearings in the front hubs from Advanced I just installed did NOT have seals to the inside; installing them without grease would have killed them in short order.

Look at the bearings you get, and don't make sweeping assumptions about things you don't know about.

"Trust but Verify", as Reagan used to misquote Stalin...

The rear bearings were sealed, and since there's no cap to hold it in, that's pretty important.

I kinda like the fact that mine weren't sealed, as that gives me a opportunity to maintain them properly.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.


"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Grog6 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The manual says only that the original bearings were sealed.

The bearings in the front hubs from Advanced I just installed did NOT have seals to the inside; installing them without grease would have killed them in short order.

Look at the bearings you get, and don't make sweeping assumptions about things you don't know about.

"Trust but Verify", as Reagan used to misquote Stalin...

The rear bearings were sealed, and since there's no cap to hold it in, that's pretty important.

I kinda like the fact that mine weren't sealed, as that gives me a opportunity to maintain them properly.
I don't know what kind of wheel bearings you got from Advance Auto Parts, but the only two shown on their website for my 1997 Thunderbird are IDENTICAL to what was installed on the car from the factory. They are SEALED and ARE NOT intended to be greased IN ANY WAY!! If you got the same wheel bearings and you greased them, you did so in error! I just changed my wheel bearings a few months ago and there was no visible grease, but that is because they are lubricated with something other than regular chassis grease that you buy in a tub at the auto parts store. I have put more than 2,000 miles on my new wheel bearings since then and have had NO problems whatsoever.

I just checked them this past week when I rebuilt my entire front suspension.

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Even my Haynes manual says the front hub/bearing assembly on the front of a T-Bird/Cougar is sealed, pre-greased and requires no maintenance.

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
Just have him do the cap, rotor, points, condenser, set the idle mixture and idle air on the carb, set the timing, adjust the bands in the transmission, adjust the tension of the accessory belt, take the tires in for a recap, change the oil every 2500 miles, grease all the greasable suspension parts.

While you just remove and replace the sealed for life non-serviceable hub and bearing assembly.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

you know, about the oil, it falls right in line with old age and what your saying, cause my dad also tells me oil is changed every 2500/3500km, which may be true, but I change mine every 8500km, since i'm good for 10,000 with Royal Purple and a good K&N Oil filter.

Still, ever tried arguing with an old man who knows his stuff, but only knows it cause of all of the old vehicles he's worked on !?!? lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
"The front wheel bearings are pregreased, sealed and require no scheduled maintenance. The front wheel bearings are preset and cannot be adjusted. If a bearing is disassembled for any reason, the wheel hub assembly must be replaced."

That is a quote direct from the Ford factory service manual. Do NOT put any grease into a new, sealed wheel hub/bearing assembly - to do so will cause premature failure!!

Your father may know a lot about older cars, but older procedures do not apply to newer car - things are much different nowadays than they used to be! I would bet almost all newer cars use mostly sealed, non-serviceable wheel hub/bearing assemblies.

Dennis
First, I would like to know what page on the manual that is on, sio I can point it out to him myself.

HOWEVER, We went to Parts Source today and took a look at a hub assembly, made by National, and it was not a sealed unit, the bears can easily be pulled from that hub, and there was no real lubricant on it.

so it would seem that you really have to look and judge for yourself, because I would say that the National hub I was looking at could have JUST the bearings replaced, and SHOULD be greased before use.


Another important question here, where the hell do you get the 36mm spindle nuts from??? the parts source guys didn't seem to know what a spindle nut was.... not that I, personally, am surprised but I need a new one for the hubs I will be getting and don't know where to get one or the part number.
BigJohnny is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
The info I quoted was from www.alldatadiy.com which gets it's info directly from the auto manufacturers.

You can get the 36mm hub nuts from Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealers as well as many auto parts stores. I've seen them listed at several sites, including Rock Auto.

One of my bearings accidentally popped open when I was installing it and I looked inside of it. It didn't really appear to have much of any lubricant in it either, but I just popped the top cover/cap back on and installed it. I have had NO problems whatsoever after over 2,000 miles!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
I don't have a subscription to alldata.... good site though, I will get one when I get some extra cash.

for the time being I've been trying to find somewhere cheap to get the hubs.

RockAuto is $54 per hub, which is fine, until you factor in conversion to CAD$, $54 shipping cost(conversion) and the spindle nuts, I'm looking at $175 USD which will be closer to $200 CAD all said and done.

Locally they want $114 EACH for the hub/bearing assembly, so I need to find somewhere with good shipping prices to match the good online prices.

I'm not sure where I should be ordering my hubs from, but I intend on doing so by wed when I get paid so I can get this fixed.
BigJohnny is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Yeah, I'm going to replace my wheel bearing/hub assemblies AGAIN because I'm not happy with the way that one came apart when I tried to install it. The ones I got I bought on eBay and I'm worried they're cheapo/poor quality!! I want to buy Timken ones this time; Rock Auto has them, like you said, for $54 each (AutoZone wants $124.00 each for the SAME ones!!) - it's just that I've had other things that I wanted to take care of first, like rebuilding my suspension so I can get new tires!

By the way, RockAuto has the hub/spindle nuts for about $7 or $8 each; AutoZone wants $96 for one nut - WTF?!!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
ya I seen them on rockauto.....but pointless for me to order from there as I'm not really saving any money.

I have to find somewhere that has free or dirt cheap shipping, even if its free to US, my dad has a US post box.
BigJohnny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome