Wheel Paint - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Wheel Paint

Anyone use this on there rims. I'm thinking of the Duplicolor stuff, but I've never really heard of any other brand that sells this. Lookin at my rims I think the previous owner might have used this. The little weights on the outside of the rims match exactly, around the lip it seems to kind of fade and stop before it hits the tire. Maybe they all look like that, I've never look that close at other rims besides mine. Factory Ford rims, not fan blades, not sport rims. I don't know what they are called, what do you call them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
How can you even see what color the wheels are - those whitewalls are blinding me!!!

Sorry - I just couldn't resist!

I'm not really sure of the exact color of silver that Ford used to paint your wheels, but I often see Ford wheels that are described as having "silver sparkle" as the paint color. Some wheels are entirely painted in that color and some, like the brushed aluminum wheels 1999 Taurus SHO wheels I have that I'm going to put on my 1997 T-Bird, have "silver sparkle" paint only in the "pockets" (the area between the spokes).

Dennis
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis872 View Post
Factory Ford rims, not fan blades, not sport rims. I don't know what they are called, what do you call them?
We call them Wheels .. not rims. Ford used the same color Metallic Silver to paint their wheels from the 80s through the 90's, fanblades, sport, etc etc ..

Sounds like yours were spray painted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM

hey don't knock the white walls.... I happen to have them.........everything about my car makes me feel old, the white walls, the luggage rack, and the rims..... it's like the old person model or something lol.

only thing that makes me feel manly is the big arse V8 in the front

but I digress... I freakin love my car.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
4th Gear Poster

Try Krylon silver. Takes 2-3 coats, and needs to have not more than 2 coats of clear. (or it yelows).

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Cool Performance Enhancement wheels

I've got them on mine, 96 LX. Chrome color with satin sheen. They are so easy to keep clean and will not rust. Still look brand new.

96, LX 2V 4.6 just K&N cone with ScanGauge.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

people call those wheels "salad shooters"

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Raoul Duke

For future information, the color of silver wheels is typically referred to as "Argent."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
We call them Wheels .. not rims.
Thank you. I don't know how that got started, but it drives me up the wall every time I hear somebody refer to them as 'rims'.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Yes, the white walls, they always get brought up, they should be gone in the next few months.
It looks like a factory paint job, nice and even and such, but just around the very edges it barely fades before it meets the tires. Maybe that's just how they did it.

I didn't know there was a difference between rims and wheels, that's for straightening my out, it will probably happen again though. Sorry.

I thought fan blades and salad shooters were the same. Maybe I'm wrong but I've always heard them being used interchangeably.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM
PostWhore

Cool

I just attempted to paint two of my Fan Blades with the duplicolor silver wheel paint. One thing I noticed right away was that it sprayed like a thick powder. Maybe there was something wrong with this particular can, I don't know. Followed the directions to a "T". I ended up rubbing the powdery stuff off with a damp cloth. Then it looked "Spotty", like it wasn't sprayed even, but I was careful? I ended up wet sanding first lightly with 320 grit to remove the clumped stuff. Then 600, then 1000. The first rim looks OK from a distance, but up close you can see thin spots. The second rim faired better. Both will be getting another dose of wet sanding, and then a final, as the directions say, "medium heavy wet coat". Once I do that, I'm sure they'll be fine. The color is real, real close to the stock rims, except there is no sheen. But I'm sure the final coat will cure that
I've tried posting picks but it's been a while. I'll keep working at it...

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 08-25-2009 at 07:53 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I've been told that is a problem if you don't hold the can perpendicular to the surface. Maybe retry one making sure it's perpendicular, and make sure the 2nd and following coats are pretty wet coats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in