DO NOT Grease Your Wheel Bearings. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

DO NOT Grease Your Wheel Bearings.

So I replaced mine lastnight, and under advice from my father, packed my hubs with grease because they were dry, about a month ago.

so I get this thing off and what do I find?? grease has been flung all over my wheel, all over the hub, it had totally caked up my brake pads was all over my rotors, basically just everywhere it shouldn't be.

so if your thinking of putting grease in there... DON'T

EDIT***

To clarify, The grease was packed into my OLD worn out bearings. I replaced with new ones, and did not grease the new ones due to the problems mentioned/discovered by doing it with the old one.

Last edited by BigJohnny; 09-10-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I thought we went over all that? Why ask people that have maintained and kept these cars going when your going to do what you know is wrong anyways?

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
3rd Gear Poster

you packed the bearing with grease..... or you packed the hub full of grease?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

the bearing is the hub, anyway I didn't do it because I was ignoring advice. When I did the inspection a while back, my old school father felt not having grease in there was bad. It didn't matter much at that point anyway as it was going to be replaced.

I replaced my old ones, and the new ones went on without grease as they should.

that thread I started was started AFTER I had already greased this one bad hub.

I just thought I would point out WHY not to do it now that I've witnessed first hand......that was the one area no one could give a definite answer on.....they all just say "no don't grease it" ..... and now we all know why.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear Poster

wow, thank you, I'm glad you posted this, I would have greased it too
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Greased a sealed non-serviceable bearing???

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why people say they are sealed...to me it doesn't fit the definition of being sealed, since it is open, the bearings are visible, and the inner races are loose and able to be removed.....doesn't seem to sealed to me.

anyway why am I being criticized? for putting grease in a bearing that appeared to need it based on knowledge of previous designs and cars??? or is it because I'm putting information here for others to see before they do the same thing? perhaps it's because I "blatantly ignored" the advice given in the thread I started AFTER greasing the bearings in order to obtain a definite answer?? or is it because I'm here giving a solid reason WHY not to grease the bearing/hubs??

also, if they are sealed units, why then would grease be slung all over the wheel components?? if it were sealed the grease would stay inside.

so why am I catching so much flak for providing information to others so they may avoid the same mistakes??
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Do your hubs have the Dust caps ??
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I'm not criticizing you, I would have done the same thing, I didn't know, now I know and I won't do it.
I do, however, disagree that the hub and bearing is the same thing.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:56 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
O.K., I just got new Timken wheel bearing/hub assemblies for the front of my 1997 Thunderbird last week from Rock Auto and I'm going to install them tomorrow. Once I take the old ones off, I will take the new ones out of the box, take the plastic bags they are packed in off of them and then I will slide them on the spindle WITHOUT doing anything else to them!! I will NOT be attempting to put ANY grease/lubricant of ANY type into them AT ALL!! There is a paper in the box from Timken that says they are a SEALED unit that requires NO maintenance AT ALL - that means NO LUBRICANTS OF ANY TYPE ARE REQUIRED!!

There is NO need to lubricate/grease in ANY way, shape or form the front hub assemblies on our Thunderbirds/Cougars!!!

Dennis
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poomwah View Post
I'm not criticizing you, I would have done the same thing, I didn't know, now I know and I won't do it.
How can you disagree with that?!! Have you ever taken the hub assembly off of the front of a '89-'97 T-Bird/Cougar? They are a sealed unit that comes off of the hub/spindle in 1 piece and, once they are off, there is nothing left on the spindle at all!

Dennis
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
I don't know why people say they are sealed...to me it doesn't fit the definition of being sealed, since it is open, the bearings are visible, and the inner races are loose and able to be removed.....doesn't seem to sealed to me.

anyway why am I being criticized? for putting grease in a bearing that appeared to need it based on knowledge of previous designs and cars??? or is it because I'm putting information here for others to see before they do the same thing? perhaps it's because I "blatantly ignored" the advice given in the thread I started AFTER greasing the bearings in order to obtain a definite answer?? or is it because I'm here giving a solid reason WHY not to grease the bearing/hubs??

also, if they are sealed units, why then would grease be slung all over the wheel components?? if it were sealed the grease would stay inside.

so why am I catching so much flak for providing information to others so they may avoid the same mistakes??
The reason that grease came out of your hub assemblies is that you put put grease in them, and then they had WAY too much grease inside them and the grease forced it's way out of them. They are lubricated with a lubricant other than plain-old wheel bearing grease that you buy in a tub at your local auto parts store; that's why they look like they need grease when you look at them. When they say they are sealed, they mean so that dirt and moisture cannot get into them when they are properly installed and torqued down on the car; that does not mean that you cannot look inside them or that they shouldn't "feel" loose before they are installed on the car.

Dennis
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
How can you disagree with that?!! Have you ever taken the hub assembly off of the front of a '89-'97 T-Bird/Cougar? They are a sealed unit that comes off of the hub/spindle in 1 piece and, once they are off, there is nothing left on the spindle at all!

Dennis
Yes, I have done brake jobs on these before. I agree that it comes off as an assembly. I agree that it goes on as an assembly. the bearing is IN the hub, its not the same piece, thats all I'm saying. that would be like saying a lug stud and a hub are the same part because they are attached.
a bearing is not a hub, a hub is not a bearing. the bearing AND hub together create the above mentioned assembly.
hence there would be a big difference in packing grease into the actual bearing and packing the entire hub with grease
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Do your hubs have the Dust caps ??
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
The reason that grease came out of your hub assemblies is that you put put grease in them, and then they had WAY too much grease inside them and the grease forced it's way out of them. They are lubricated with a lubricant other than plain-old wheel bearing grease that you buy in a tub at your local auto parts store; that's why they look like they need grease when you look at them. When they say they are sealed, they mean so that dirt and moisture cannot get into them when they are properly installed and torqued down on the car; that does not mean that you cannot look inside them or that they shouldn't "feel" loose before they are installed on the car.

Dennis
Yeah I know what your saying, I'm just stating that from other sealed bearings, this is much different. Most sealed bearings are just that, totally sealed, with a cover of sorts that truly prevents any kind of addition of lubricant.

Been there, done that, totally agree.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I have done brake jobs on these before. I agree that it comes off as an assembly. I agree that it goes on as an assembly. the bearing is IN the hub, its not the same piece, thats all I'm saying. that would be like saying a lug stud and a hub are the same part because they are attached.
a bearing is not a hub, a hub is not a bearing. the bearing AND hub together create the above mentioned assembly.
hence there would be a big difference in packing grease into the actual bearing and packing the entire hub with grease
I know your not criticizing me, I was refering to others who seem to be a little harsh that Ive put grease in the old one.

I don't know how you think they are not one piece, the only way to remove the bearings is by removing the inner races, then your left with a bunch of balls, and the hub. there is no other form of outer bearing race, the entire hub itself is what constitutes the outer bearing races.

if you totally disassemble one of these, you end up with a front and rear inner race, a bunch of ball bearings, and an outer hub assembly.

this is what I had yesterday when I removed my old ones, and they fell apart in my hands.

it is a single piece, the bearings cannot be changed out by themselves. this isn't a hub with an actual bearing as we know it pressed into it, this IS the bearing.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I guess its just a matter of perception. Not the first time my perception was wrong... LOL, sorry
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Im just saying, looking at one in your hand, it's easy to see that it is really one piece.

the rear hubs are a bearing pressed into a hub, but the front itself is one assembly.....better design IMHO, but more costly no doubt.

I should also add, for others reading this, that the bearing I had to replace that was bad, after adding the grease, spun with no resistance what so ever, I could give it a whirl and it would just keep spinning.......sign of a worn out bearing, and it didn't do this before I added the grease. My driver side bearing was "fine" not loose and didn't have grease added to it. It spun with the appropriate resistance.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Hopefully the grease you added was compatible with the stuff the manufacturer uses...

-Matt
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
if you totally disassemble one of these, you end up with a front and rear inner race, a bunch of ball bearings, and an outer hub assembly.

this is what I had yesterday when I removed my old ones, and they fell apart in my hands.

it is a single piece, the bearings cannot be changed out by themselves. this isn't a hub with an actual bearing as we know it pressed into it, this IS the bearing.
Interesting. I knew they were sold as/are one piece but from the way you describe it, it sounds like the inner wall of the hub serves as the outer race for the bearings. Very interesting design indeed...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Hopefully the grease you added was compatible with the stuff the manufacturer uses...
Did you even read this thread?? I didn't put grease in my new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Interesting. I knew they were sold as/are one piece but from the way you describe it, it sounds like the inner wall of the hub serves as the outer race for the bearings. Very interesting design indeed...
exactly, 100% hit the nail on the head.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Did you even read this thread?? I didn't put grease in my new ones.
The way you worded your very first post in this thread makes it sound as if you DID put grease in your new bearings! I see you didn't, but at first glance it sounds like you did - I can see why others thought you did.

Dennis
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
PostSlut

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

ROFLMAO.....sorry I didn't know it was worded that way....that pic is hilarious.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Listening on 141.850 mHz!

How about a couple more from the Captain?

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8
1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition 4.6L V8 - gone.
Might be a 2005-2007 Jaguar XJ-8 L in my future.

[email protected]
Westland, Michigan - but I'm from central New Jersey!
http://www.hoodliners.net - My hoodliners I make!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
PostSlut

those are good!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

omg omfg, I think I just peed a little bit.......picard pwns darth vader.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:21 AM

how the hell is capt picard fighting Darth Vader??
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The heck? Thread revival for that?

-Brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in