Full Size Spare - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Full Size Spare

I have 18x9 bullit's in the front and 18x10 deep dish bullits on the rear...I was thinking about ordering another 18x9 to use for a full size spare if I ever need to.

Right now the car has 275/35/18 tires in the rear and 245/40/18 tires in the front. Say I get another 18x9 like what is on the front for a spare, and put a 245/40/18 on it...if I have to mount it on the rear, will that screw up my limited slip rear end, because of the (possibly) different tire height?

Any suggestions for different tire sizes on my front and rear since I have a 9 adn 10 inch wheel?

Any suggestion for a good tire size for the spare so it won't matter if it's mounted front or rear?

thanx

Earl

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I wouldnt really worry too much about it as long as you only temporarily use it in a "mismatched" position. If you did the same size as the rear tire, you wouldnt have to even think about clutch wear. I'll bet they are close enough that it probably wont matter.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
6th Gear Poster

tire calculator only shows 0.1 inch difference in radius. couldn't imagine that would harm much for a temporary drive.

seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

You can use a Linky LS spare wheel as a MN12 spare if'n you want a bigger then stock spare... spare.

-Scott

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. FrankenCougie View Post
You can use a Linky LS spare wheel as a MN12 spare if'n you want a bigger then stock spare... spare.

-Scott
I didnt know those had a full spare stock! Are they 15" steel?
-Rob

-Rob
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I just found two on ebay one was a 17 inch... the other a 16...still kinda too small...price is high on them too...gonna do an 18x9

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Why do you need an 18x9 spare? are you doing it for looks or to clear the brakes? Thats alot of dead weight to be adding back there.

-Matt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Earl...If I may ask...Why the need for the fullsize spare?? Just curious

The stock dognut will work fine. Keep the air pressure up and you are good to go. If you do come across a flat (Hope ya dont =) ) If its a leaker keep a portable air compressor in the car and limp to a shop. In most cases this is all ya need unless its a total loss tire issue.

Lastly...When you run those tires out go with a 245-45-18/275-40-18 OR 255-45-18/285-40-18 set. This is the correct size option and will fit the wheel widths better than whats on there. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Enjoy the car. =)

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

My question is where are you going to put it cause I couldn't get a 215-70-15 in the spare well.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
My question is where are you going to put it cause I couldn't get a 215-70-15 in the spare well.
X2 when I went bullitt wheel crazy, I almost got a spare 17" bullitt 245-45r17 and finally decided against it due to the shallow spare tire well. I like my trunk to look decent, even if it is a little dusty I'm running a lincoln town car aluminum donut. Its 17" i think, possibly 16" and fits like a glove. I also used a modified mark viii spare tire cover because it is much more rigid.
-Rob

-Rob
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaz101 View Post
Earl...If I may ask...Why the need for the fullsize spare?? Just curious

The stock dognut will work fine. Keep the air pressure up and you are good to go. If you do come across a flat (Hope ya dont =) ) If its a leaker keep a portable air compressor in the car and limp to a shop. In most cases this is all ya need unless its a total loss tire issue.

Lastly...When you run those tires out go with a 245-45-18/275-40-18 OR 255-45-18/285-40-18 set. This is the correct size option and will fit the wheel widths better than whats on there. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Enjoy the car. =)

Brad
I want to go with a full size spare for the following reasons:

1. to clear the front brakes
2. to avoid the possible rear end clutch wear issues
3. the car i VERY VERY low, and scrapes at times, as is...a spare doughtnut would make that worse, possibly making the car un-driveable
4. also, I don't like donut spares, they just suck, can't go over 45MPH on them, limited distance, just a bad deal.
5. If I can't fix the bad tire right away, at least the "temporary spare" would be something I could run for a while without problems....as for putting it in the spare tire well, yeah it'll be an issue, might screw with the trunk space a little, but it might be worth it.

I thought about just getting roadside assistance and NOT carrying a spare, but that could be an issue...waiting hours and hours for a towtruck to arrive when I could be back on the road in a matter of minutes just quick changing the tire.

a 17 inch lincoln LS spare might just be an option though.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
X2 when I went bullitt wheel crazy, I almost got a spare 17" bullitt 245-45r17 and finally decided against it due to the shallow spare tire well. I like my trunk to look decent, even if it is a little dusty I'm running a lincoln town car aluminum donut. Its 17" i think, possibly 16" and fits like a glove. I also used a modified mark viii spare tire cover because it is much more rigid.
-Rob
Ok thought I was just missing something. Several years ago I asked my body guy if he could make the well deeper and he said would be cost prohibitive. (This was on the Cougar which had need major rear end work).

Though I guess you could do it if you complete cut the well out and make one to accept a 225-60-16 (since I don't see a need for anything bigger for a spare) and used a X brace on top.

I totally understand wanting a real spare, running a 1.5" lowering springs, I doubt a donut would get me from work to home, but I have 4 spares in the shed.

A donut should never go on the front, but the only other option I know of is the 195 Tarsus 15" wheels.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I use a mark vIII spare but have considered a full size spare and having the trunk well extended for it before due to wanting 13" brakes.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I have a full size 225-60/15 spare; the stock cover sits a bit high, but the sub box, amp plate, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher keep it in place pretty well.

Making everything not rattle when the sub hits is the hard part, lol. Even the tire has to be held solid...

Anyway; if you're looking into my trunk, you probably aren't going to ***** to anyone about it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I want to go with a full size spare for the following reasons:

1. to clear the front brakes
2. to avoid the possible rear end clutch wear issues
3. the car i VERY VERY low, and scrapes at times, as is...a spare doughtnut would make that worse, possibly making the car un-driveable
4. also, I don't like donut spares, they just suck, can't go over 45MPH on them, limited distance, just a bad deal.
5. If I can't fix the bad tire right away, at least the "temporary spare" would be something I could run for a while without problems....as for putting it in the spare tire well, yeah it'll be an issue, might screw with the trunk space a little, but it might be worth it.

I thought about just getting roadside assistance and NOT carrying a spare, but that could be an issue...waiting hours and hours for a towtruck to arrive when I could be back on the road in a matter of minutes just quick changing the tire.

a 17 inch lincoln LS spare might just be an option though.

Right on....Change the tire sizes to one of the recomended match sets and that will help your being too low problem more than you would think.

Good luck on the LS Spare...

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in