Replacing just the bearing, front wheel bearing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Replacing just the bearing, front wheel bearing

I have a old Cougar hub laying around to press the bearing out of for measurement. I need to replace the bearing on my thunderbird, which has mustang hubs. I was hoping I could measure the cougar one to be able to find a replacement bearing that will fit the mustang hub. There is a place called Purvis Bearing in Waco that people say may have my bearings. Has anyone ever done this on the thunderbird/mustang? What are the bearing specifications/part number?

The only reason I ask is that I am having serious difficulty pressing out the wheel bearing from the hub. I cant find any retaining rings or anything like that. Is there some trick to pressing these out? My crappy harbor freight press hasnt let me down yet, until now. Let me know what you think. Last time I just bought hubs, but I think it would be cool to just install bearings.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts 14.[email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 AM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have a old Cougar hub laying around to press the bearing out of for measurement. I need to replace the bearing on my thunderbird, which has mustang hubs. I was hoping I could measure the cougar one to be able to find a replacement bearing that will fit the mustang hub. There is a place called Purvis Bearing in Waco that people say may have my bearings. Has anyone ever done this on the thunderbird/mustang? What are the bearing specifications/part number?

The only reason I ask is that I am having serious difficulty pressing out the wheel bearing from the hub. I cant find any retaining rings or anything like that. Is there some trick to pressing these out? My crappy harbor freight press hasnt let me down yet, until now. Let me know what you think. Last time I just bought hubs, but I think it would be cool to just install bearings.
-Rob
Just go buy a new hub.
They're not expensive,and you'll waste more time trying to replace the bearing than it's worth.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton View Post
Just go buy a new hub.
They're not expensive,and you'll waste more time trying to replace the bearing than it's worth.
JL
I agree!! Just purchase a new hub.

Done in 1/2 hour.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:20 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
I agree!! Just purchase a new hub. Done in 1/2 hour.
I agree also, & get a Propane Torch handy to augment your Press in these situations.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

lol yeah i know how easy it is to install a new hub, I have done many but I just thought I would ask. I suppose after $20 (guess for replacement bearing) and driving into Waco to get it +time to press it all together, I am right around $50 or more, which is what they cost. Whenever I get some free time I am going to check into this replacement bearing thing though.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation warp

& if you WARP Hub pressing out Race it's game over anyway... Most newer Fords are one piece Race & Hub BTW.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I did this awhile back; it toasts the hub.

The hub is too thin to take being pressed apart; I think they machine it after it's pressed in. (!)

It looks like the same bearing as the rear, and I have a piece I made to press those bearings into that fully supports the area around the bearing; if it was any tighter, it would be a punch... I made that after ruining a rear knuckle, lol.

The race still had aluminum on it after it all came apart; It extruded more than it separated.

Nothing breaks stuff like a press...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Awesome! Thanks for chiming in...I knew that there must be some kind of reason for this/I wasn't the only one who had hell pressing apart the front hubs. There definitely is not much material between the OD of the bearing and the OD of the hub! Looks like I'm gonna throw this in the scrap and buy another mustang hub. I am not interested in breaking my crappy press. I was just kinda surprised because on all other times, I can press hub bearings in and out all day long with little difficulty. This baby was made to stay together without a retaining clip...This threw me for a loop! Thanks for all the quick replies.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in