Wheel Balance - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Wheel Balance

Okay this is a dumb question with good reasoning... sorry im not good with tires and balance.

So I took my car in for new tires, tire balance, and alignment. I also asked to save the two good tires from the rear.

Well so I picked up my car, bit expensive but im satisfied with the job, car feels AWESOME on the road.. BUTTT they have the fan blades facing the wrong way on two of the tires... this is something most people wont bother with.. but fan blades facing the wrong way is just a no. Back to the question. IF I decide to rotate the tires to make sure they face the right way, will this throw off the tire balance and alignment of the wheels? and I just making a big deal out of nothing? Should I be pissed that I asked for the two good tires and only got one back???

Thanks in advanced guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:10 PM
PostSlut

unless the tires you bought are directional, meaning, they can only spin one way, then no, you will be fine.
If you didn't get what you asked for, call and b1tch.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Okay this is a dumb question with good reasoning... sorry im not good with tires and balance.

So I took my car in for new tires, tire balance, and alignment. I also asked to save the two good tires from the rear.

Well so I picked up my car, bit expensive but im satisfied with the job, car feels AWESOME on the road.. BUTTT they have the fan blades facing the wrong way on two of the tires... this is something most people wont bother with.. but fan blades facing the wrong way is just a no. Back to the question. IF I decide to rotate the tires to make sure they face the right way, will this throw off the tire balance and alignment of the wheels? and I just making a big deal out of nothing? Should I be pissed that I asked for the two good tires and only got one back???

Thanks in advanced guys.
Unless the shop that did your wheel balancing did the balancing with the wheels ON the car (highly unlikely; almost no place I know of does that) then no, rotating your wheels and tires should not appreciably affect wheel balance or alignment. If the wheels were balanced ON the car, then that takes into consideration the balance of the hub/brake rotor assembly in addition to the wheel and tire. In that case, moving the wheels and tires from the positions they were in when they were balanced would probably throw-off the balance. But that still wouldn't really affect wheel alignment.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Alright, yeah they are not directional. And its a good reputable shop so I doubt they balanced the wheels on the car. And after I cooled off I checked the rims and its only the rear two so that should be fine :-D thanks!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Poster

Cool wheel balance

take the car back...air there wheel weights on the outside of your wheels? is the
air set to mfg specs? what did they torque your wheels to?? you should not have to redo something you paid good money for...did they give you before and after
print outs of alignment specs or was it "set the toe and let it go" thats what i
make a living at - fixing someone else's blunders (and yes i still occasionally spin
balance on the car) you can balance alloy wheels without "hockey pucking" weights to the outside - tire baron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in