Difference between FWD and RWD Wheels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to beamerboy46350
Difference between FWD and RWD Wheels

I was at Sears today to see if they had any 18" rims with the 5x108 pattern. They had a couple they could order but said that they could not install or warranty them or the tires because there FWD rims on a RWD car. This didnt make any sense to me? It would seem there would be no difference. Was this guy just a douche and have no idea what hes talking about or am I wrong in thinking theres no difference?

92 Cougar LS 5.0: Air Silencer delete, Flowmaster Cat-back System, Big 3,Cold Air Intake,

77 BMW 530i(no longer running will come spring)
02 Caravan SE(DD 4 kids)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM
PostWhore

The difference is in the back spacing of the rim.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
sousa is correct that the backspacing/offset is usually different on wrong-wheel drive. However the backspacing on our wheels on our cars are more like a FWD setup. Either way, the guy at sears is an idiot, and you don't want someone like that working on your car, so you should go somewhere else.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 AM
PostWhore

You know I have heard that same BS in the past also about how you can't put a RWD wheel on a T-Bird. Been a long time though.

I can't wait to run into the next person to tell me that....LOL

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I ran American Racing Avenger 16x7 wheels on my first 96 bird ten years ago...you guessed it, they are FWD wheels, commonly seen on honda civics...although I've seen them on mustangs and birds and cougars from time to time...I scratch my head in amazement that I thought those where nice looking wheels on a bird...

I guess they're not that bad...I wouldn't run them ever again, though.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I scratch my head in amazement that I thought those where nice looking wheels on a bird...
Lol, I can definitely see why...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

When Ford designed our suspensions, they knew that longer control arms are better. So to get the longer arms to fit, they went with a wider (FWD) offset wheel. And to make sure people didn't put Mustang wheels on which would adversely affect handling, they used the 5 x 108 spacing that was only used on existing FWD cars (Taurus, Windstar, etc.). Anyway, just some history.....

....man, I know too much of this stuff.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
6th Gear Poster

so all that talk about not being able to use FWD rims on birds was just a bunch of BS??

MMMMMMMMMMMMM..........MMM..........MMMMMMMMMMMMM
.......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........
MMMMM........................................

THUNDERBIRD: because everyone else drives a mustang.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

mustangs didnt have 5 lug til 94, I think you meant people trying to put on ranger or f150 rims LOL. THere is no other rims worth swapping in 89.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I went to Tire Barn today and heard the same thing. It's getting really annoying! I would really like to get my rims and tires together and have a warranty, road hazard, lifetime balance and rotate.

I've already picked out my rims: http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/p-4166...-new-2010.aspx

Just finding a dealer that will put them on close enough to have the lifetime balance and rotation. Ugh!

92 Cougar LS 5.0: Air Silencer delete, Flowmaster Cat-back System, Big 3,Cold Air Intake,

02 Caravan SE(DD 4 kids)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
When Ford designed our suspensions, they knew that longer control arms are better. So to get the longer arms to fit, they went with a wider (FWD) offset wheel. And to make sure people didn't put Mustang wheels on which would adversely affect handling, they used the 5 x 108 spacing that was only used on existing FWD cars (Taurus, Windstar, etc.). Anyway, just some history.....

....man, I know too much of this stuff.

Its cheaper to make the front hubs from the taurus fit on the rear of the mn12 too

-Matt
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SoulCalibur
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamerboy46350 View Post
I went to Tire Barn today and heard the same thing. It's getting really annoying! I would really like to get my rims and tires together and have a warranty, road hazard, lifetime balance and rotate.

I've already picked out my rims: http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/p-4166...-new-2010.aspx

Just finding a dealer that will put them on close enough to have the lifetime balance and rotation. Ugh!
If you feel like driving to Kokomo,IN

Discount tire will do them and indy tire will also. Or you can go to a mom and pop have them put the tires on and have tire barn balance them. I;ve had to do that several times in the past.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Why not just order the tires and wheels you want and tell them it's for a taurus. Have the shop mount and balance them and just take them home and put them on yourself. They wont know what you are really putting it on. If a tire failes and you need to use the warranty work, just take it in off the car. They wont know that it didnt come off of a taurus. Im sure the warranty isnt going to be voided because you brought the wheel in off of the car.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Because I want the lifetime balance and rotate. Well worth it to me. ITs a pain in the ass to remove 4 tires, haul them down to wherever let them balance and put back on without a lift and a truck, compressor and airtools.

02 Caravan SE(DD 4 kids)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
4th Gear Poster

Tell them the stock rims have FWD offset and they need to change/update their info to get with the times. It should be no difference if you get tires for stockers on not, as long as they fit properly

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:10 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamerboy46350 View Post
Because I want the lifetime balance and rotate. Well worth it to me. ITs a pain in the ass to remove 4 tires, haul them down to wherever let them balance and put back on without a lift and a truck, compressor and airtools.
You generally get those mentioned services when you purchase tires from some chain stores. I dont see why you cant get your wheels then go into the tire shop and have them lace you up and recieve said services. If they have a problem with plus sizing tires for your vehicle then apparently they dont know what they are doing so simply move on.

Seems normal to expect to not need the tire balanced before it expires however its not rare for this to be needed maybe once during the tires life. I think alot of this has to do with either throwing a weight, poor wear or losing the balanced position of the tire on the wheel during a flat repair, etc...Tire rotation is plain simple enough to do in the driveway but deff worth something as a free service I suppose.

the whole fwd/rwd wheel thing is laughable. Sears?? There has to be a better place to get tire service than Sears, Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Outback Steakhouse, Macy's....You get the idea.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in