Tires for my Ranger Question.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Tires for my Ranger Question..

I have a set of Kumho KR21, which is the worst tire I have ever had on a car or truck. These China 80K tires are a big joke. The ride is choppy, the tread is really narrow and it shakes the wheel on any kind of bad pavement. I have had the tires re-balanced a bunch of times and are still awful. I don't expect my truck to ride like a Lincoln (or a Taurus for that matter), but there has to be better tires out there.

The tire size that is currently on the truck is P215/75R15. I would like to either use the stock tire size or go with P225/75R15. My question is, for ride quality, would it be much of a difference is I get the 75 or 70 series? My truck never leaves the road but I travel in snow conditions quite often.

I am looking at these two tires:

70 series: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Ranger Reg 2wd XLT&autoModClar=

75 series: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Of course, I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks!

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:15 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Sure there isn't something wrong with your wheels or truck?

I got some KR21s for my Town Car 215/70-15 last December and they are smooth as silk. Actually pretty good grip for a Touring tire. But this is a Town Car, I wouldn't put them on my Bird. But I go through 3 sets on my Bird for 1 set on the Town Car.

As far a ride quality, I don't think you will notice much difference between 75s and 70's.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I have brand new KYB Gas-A-Just on the truck. It helped but not by much. I have no complaints on the grip, they are pretty good in snow due to their narrow tread. Rain and puddles aren't too bad. The wheels are also brand new and the problem followed the wheels. I have replaced everything except the tires.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Any one in particular? Use a hydraulic floor jack and switch the spare onto each spot until you don't have the problem.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Poster

if the steering wheel shakes on bad roads you have a steering linkage problem. (idler, pittman,
drag link, or tie rod ends. tire imbalance will come in when the tire reaches shape (50+mph)
if the steering wheel shakes side to side it stands to reason the tires are doing the same while going down the road. jack the truck up under the control arms on both sides, then grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and shake side to side while a partner looks at all of the joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in