Nitto 305/40/18 DRAG RADIALS - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Nitto 305/40/18 DRAG RADIALS

So, I May have found a real good deal on some brand new Nitto 305/40/18 drag radials....I have ten inch wide deep dish bullitts...Seems like I would have rubbing issues with these...I already have rub issues with the tires i have (they occasionally will rub the inside of the wheelwell, just above the rear shock upper mount)

So my question is this...Are there any safe to use spacers out there (hubcentric?) or who can I look to, to have pair made up? I won't run cheap junk spacers, I want something that will push the wheels out a bit, becuase as is, a 275-285 will rub on the inside...car has rolled fender lips, however, this seems un-necessary at this point, because with my current setup, rubbing happens on the inside of the sidewall, not the side facing the outside edges of the car...

Any advice on a solution for this that doesn't involve a mustang hub swap? I'm happy with everything else...

Seems like if I where stock ride height or maybe just slightly lowered and not SLAMMED I would not have rub issues...only have rub issues when the suspension compresses....

thanks

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Earl, there was a time where I ran spacers on the car. I don't remember who made them and I don't remember how thick they were, that is the reason behind the rolled fenders in addition I was planning to go lower out back.

There are different types of spacers, there are ones that slide on to the studs and there are some that bolt on to the studs themselves. Your probably going to want to research on some import sites on the pros and cons of each. Zilvia forums is probably a good place to start as 240sx owners are known for running spacers with their wheel set ups.

As far using that large of a tire, i understand you may be wanting to go wide for appearance reasons BUT as far as performance you may not gain anything, possibly lose some performance with a tire that large. If anything you'd definitely lose some MPH in the 1/4 and i'm doubting you'll pick up any time E/T wise.

p.s. nitto 555r's are known to run small respective of their "sizing dimensions" might wanna keep that in mind.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Why would you buy Drag Radials if you dont race the car? If you put those tires on they will last all of about 5000 miles maybe less.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Poster

Spacers

If you want to know about spacers, e-mail me. By the By, spacers thar bolt on are
technically adapters. I can have you built just about any thing you wan't.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd View Post
Earl, there was a time where I ran spacers on the car. I don't remember who made them and I don't remember how thick they were, that is the reason behind the rolled fenders in addition I was planning to go lower out back.

There are different types of spacers, there are ones that slide on to the studs and there are some that bolt on to the studs themselves. Your probably going to want to research on some import sites on the pros and cons of each. Zilvia forums is probably a good place to start as 240sx owners are known for running spacers with their wheel set ups.

As far using that large of a tire, i understand you may be wanting to go wide for appearance reasons BUT as far as performance you may not gain anything, possibly lose some performance with a tire that large. If anything you'd definitely lose some MPH in the 1/4 and i'm doubting you'll pick up any time E/T wise.

p.s. nitto 555r's are known to run small respective of their "sizing dimensions" might wanna keep that in mind.
Oh....thanx for the info....that makes sense now...I wondered why the fenders where rolled yet that wasn't where the rub issue was...Why did you end up getting rid of the spacers? Did you have problems with them? I'm not totally against runnig spacers, I just don't want to destroy anything (have a wheel come off)

I'm not going to do drag radials...it was a passing thought, but really, I was more interested in figuring out how to get around this tire rub issue. I just had a passenger rear tire blow out coming home from work the other day, due to the rub issue...finally tore thorugh the inner side wall...no damage to anything, but it did feel extremely strange having a blowout on such a low profile tire...

anyway, thanks again for the info, it's appreciated.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Oh....thanx for the info....that makes sense now...I wondered why the fenders where rolled yet that wasn't where the rub issue was...Why did you end up getting rid of the spacers? Did you have problems with them? I'm not totally against runnig spacers, I just don't want to destroy anything (have a wheel come off)

I'm not going to do drag radials...it was a passing thought, but really, I was more interested in figuring out how to get around this tire rub issue. I just had a passenger rear tire blow out coming home from work the other day, due to the rub issue...finally tore thorugh the inner side wall...no damage to anything, but it did feel extremely strange having a blowout on such a low profile tire...

anyway, thanks again for the info, it's appreciated.
As I previously stated I planned to go lower in the rear, I sold the car before I got to do so that is the reason why the spacers were removed.

If your not going to do drag radials why are you posting a new thread about Nitto DR's?

If the rub issue is slight, just run a tiny spacer. A 5mm spacer would give you that slight clearance that you need.

2000 Z28 6 Speed
Head/Cam LS2 476 rwhp
11.61 @ 124 (on my old LS1. LS2 numbers coming soon!)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd View Post
As I previously stated I planned to go lower in the rear, I sold the car before I got to do so that is the reason why the spacers were removed.

If your not going to do drag radials why are you posting a new thread about Nitto DR's?

If the rub issue is slight, just run a tiny spacer. A 5mm spacer would give you that slight clearance that you need.
Well, it was just a passing thought...running the drag radials...the rub issue is slight and is only there when the suspension compresses, so, I'm thinking that if I had springs on the car that wheren't quite as low, and maybe some stiffer shocks in the rear (I'm thinking KONI adjustable all the way around) it wold fix this issue

Spacers couldn't hurt...and unrelated but after seeing a guy on here run SC side skirts un-cut with the metal door pieces, while still retaining the original side skirts, I think I might do that...and a fiberglass cobra hood

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
MAMN12 Posse Member

What offset are you running? I don't think mine rub on an 18x10 with a 40mm offset.

I know it's possible, as Blown38 is running a 315 on the back on a 17" or 18" wheel.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTBird93 View Post
What offset are you running? I don't think mine rub on an 18x10 with a 40mm offset.

I know it's possible, as Blown38 is running a 315 on the back on a 17" or 18" wheel.
Right....well, I only have rub issues when the suspension compresses, it rubs just above the rear shock mount...and the only reason THAT happens, is becuase the car is so low...suspension travel would never reach that point with stock springs...With my setup 275's rub, 285's, which I currently have, rub worse...the rub occurs on the inside side wall against the area above the rear shock mount.

So basically, it's either some high quality custom made hubcentric spacers...or stock springs, and at this point, I am OK with either one...but stock springs, would open a larger can of worms than I could handle financially, since they would lead to new koni adjustables all the way around, and a full front end rebuild...which I would love, but don't have the money for...I will be buying a set of stock springs for it to have on hand though, very, very soon, since that is the ultimate plan for the car....I like it low, but it's not practical for me, as a daily driver...now if I get something else as a daily, and retire this car to weekend/track/fun duty, then it can stay slammed for all I care...it's all up in the air right now.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:48 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Right....well, I only have rub issues when the suspension compresses, it rubs just above the rear shock mount...and the only reason THAT happens, is becuase the car is so low...suspension travel would never reach that point with stock springs...With my setup 275's rub, 285's, which I currently have, rub worse...the rub occurs on the inside side wall against the area above the rear shock mount.

So basically, it's either some high quality custom made hubcentric spacers...or stock springs, and at this point, I am OK with either one...but stock springs, would open a larger can of worms than I could handle financially, since they would lead to new koni adjustables all the way around, and a full front end rebuild...which I would love, but don't have the money for...I will be buying a set of stock springs for it to have on hand though, very, very soon, since that is the ultimate plan for the car....I like it low, but it's not practical for me, as a daily driver...now if I get something else as a daily, and retire this car to weekend/track/fun duty, then it can stay slammed for all I care...it's all up in the air right now.
Unless you've changed the springs since you bought the car from its previous owner it does have stock springs, that have been cut down. Yes you can lower a car like this...But is it ideal??? Most deff not. A proper set of lowering springs by Eibach, ST, Vogtland would solve your problems and the car would handle much better, even if you stayed with the stock shock set.

My 94SC is lowered with the 1.5" Eibach Progressive spring set and Im running the Bullits with 275-40-18 Rears with zero rub. Several others are running the same thing with differant spring sets and 275-285MM rubber with zero inner rub.

Spacers are not the answer IMO.

Once again I will reveal the offset of the Bullit wheels. +45MM is the offset and the fit is nothing less than perfect. If I was going to build a Forged Billet 2pc wheel I would use the same specs.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Agreed. Spacers are not the answer. Firm the suspension up in the back.

I'm running 285/40/18 Nitto NT05R Drag Radials on 18x9" rims with a 36mm offset (Thanks Brad for a great product!).

Nearly lifting the front tires on launch I have no rubbing issues.

1.6" Vogtlands with poly spring cups, Cobra Bilsteins and an 1.25" Addco anti-sway bar in the back work wonders.

You could also go with the 1" Vogtlands; either way, a good set of springs is critical.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-31-2010 at 09:10 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Cudaz, Trunkmonkey, thanks for the info, this really, really helps a lot Yes, the car has cut stock springs...I have a set of stock SC / Sport springs on the way, I don't know if they will go on the car, or if it will get some other lowering springs...we'll see...car looks great low, but I'm going for daily driver practicality here...And I know I have said it a million times before, but TM, I love your car more than life itself, that thing is just amazing...reminds me of what I wanted my 95 bird to be...just super super sweet...and that photo is my new wallpaper

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
You're welcome and Thanks so much.

I'm not home right now but when I get a chance I'll send you a larger, higher resolution copy of that picture.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

You have any pics of your car's ride height now with the cut springs?

~Jeff

*signed off
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTBird93 View Post
You have any pics of your car's ride height now with the cut springs?
Sure...I don't have access to putting a pic into this post right now but if you look through my old posts there are tons of photos of the car- it looks great but just too hard to deal with day to day being slammed.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
5th Gear Poster

So were is the 18" slick. There is a guy that might wanna buy em if the deal is right
________
buy glass bong

Last edited by MRCYCOUG; 01-28-2011 at 06:21 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 PM
PostWhore

Man, that is awesome photo Trunk Monkey. That Bird is movin' out!

1997 Ford Thunderbird, Built NA 2V/ T-45
1997 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0L
2003 Lincoln LS V8 Bolt Ons
2009 Yamaha VMax
2011 F-150 Lariat Limited 6.2L 4WD
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Performance Pack, Recaros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in