what size drag radials does nitto make in 18 inch size and what would fit the bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
On Probation

what size drag radials does nitto make in 18 inch size and what would fit the bird

I am wondering what size nitto drag radials are available that will fit the 18 x 10 wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
On Probation

I found that mickey thompson makes a et street drag radial in a 265 40 18 tire size. If anybody has used this tire in this size please let me know. I am concerned that the side walls might be too stiff to allow great traction.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Trunk Monkey has 18" Nitto DR's...

~Jeff

*signed off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I run the 285/40R18 Nitto NT05R's on 18" x 9" rims. They hook very well and look amazing on a Tbird.

They should fit nicely on a 10" rim.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-02-2011 at 01:37 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
PostSlut

damn!!!!!!!!!

almost some air under that tire!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea. Full weight, full size fronts and she nearly picks 'em up up off the ground. I have no doubt that if I had skinnies on the car they'd be in the air.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Yea. Full weight, full size fronts and she nearly picks 'em up up off the ground. I have no doubt that if I had skinnies on the car they'd be in the air.
right on!

I have a feeling I won't have a problem of lifting at least 1 wheel...

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
right on!

I have a feeling I won't have a problem of lifting at least 1 wheel...
LOL I'm sure you could with all the "weight-removal" that you've done.

Great car you've got too.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have 305/40/18's on mine... the car has pretty much been parked for three months though, so, I can't speak for what the tires can do

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I have 305/40/18's on mine... the car has pretty much been parked for three months though, so, I can't speak for what the tires can do
How wide are your rear wheels? Do you have any rubbing? I need all the tire I can get.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfastenough View Post
... I need all the tire I can get.
How much HP are you making? What's your current set up? Is traction an issue now? What are your future plans?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

For what it's worth, Blown38 is running 315's in the back.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
How much HP are you making? What's your current set up? Is traction an issue now? What are your future plans?
502rwhp 518tq. I have Irs with intrax coils, stock motorcraft super coupe shocks, 3.27 with cobra trac lok clutches. Air lift bags also. Spins 1st 2nd and 3rd. Future plan is to up the boost from 17psi to something more fun. Probably settle around 600rwhp. Car is a 5spd BTW. Blown38 also is running I think a 17in stang wheel with a different offset. Think he had someone widen then also. Im on 18x9's I think 36mm offset, the ones brad sells.

Corey

Last edited by neverfastenough; 11-03-2010 at 12:51 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I think the 285/40R18 NT05R's would be perfect for you. They're really more than I need now but hey, I've got room to grow into them.

What tires (brand and size) are you running now? Street or strip?

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-03-2010 at 01:10 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear Poster

On the street I run 245/45/18's maxxis victra's. On the track I used 26 9.5 16 hoosier qtp's. Havent gotten a goold launch with them on the new engine setup. They are old though, might try another pass on them this year. I also tried a 28in mickey thompson. Couldnt hook those either. I need to run a full slick on the teack with a good side wall, the more flex the better since this M5R2 isnt loving the power, and I snapped a cv last pass attempt. Id really like to hook on the street as best as possible, Have you tried the NT05R's on the street, will they live more than a few thousand miles?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I have driven them on the street some and they do hook just as well on the street (ask anyone who drove around with me at the JBMN this past August) .

I don't make a habit of driving them on the street much since they do have a zero treadwear rating and I wouldn't trust them on wet pavement.

I would like them to last for more than a few thousand miles so they only go on the car when I'm headed to the track, otherwise I run the 245/45 Sumo's in front and 275/40/18 Sumo's in back as my daily tires. They have a 300 treadwear rating.

If you don't daily drive your car and use it more as a fair weather weekend warrior I think the NT05R's would work just fine for you as a street tire without wearing out to quickly (depending on how you use them. )

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I have a terribly heavy foot. Ill probably just use a street tire on the street. How well do your sumo tires hook?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
How wide are your rear wheels? Do you have any rubbing? I need all the tire I can get.
18x10 rears...no rubbing issues at all....well, now that it has stock springs, that is. Any lowering at all and there would probably be rub somewhere at some point.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I have a terribly heavy foot. Ill probably just use a street tire on the street. How well do your sumo tires hook?
The Sumo HTR Z III's hook ok for street tires (Treadwear 300) and they cost less than the Nitto's. I do not street race with them, however I have taken them to the track and they handle excellent. I've also road tripped them from Charlotte, NC to Carlisle, PA and the JBMN in Martinsburgh, W. VA. and they ride great. Very stable and quite. I've run them up to 135 MPH without a bit of trouble. They're capable of much, much more.

I've had these tires since May of 2008 and they still have some tread life left on them.

I'll probably replace them with NT555's in a 285/40 size or Nitto NT05's in a 275/40/18 size when it's time to replace them; the NT 555's have a treadwear of 300, the NT555R's have a treadwear of 100, the NT05's have a treadwear of 200 and the NT05R's have a treadwear of zero.

Quote:
On the street I run 245/45/18's maxxis victra's. On the track I used 26 9.5 16 hoosier qtp's. Havent gotten a good launch with them on the new engine setup. They are old though, might try another pass on them this year. I also tried a 28in mickey thompson. Couldnt hook those either. I need to run a full slick on the track with a good side wall, the more flex the better since this M5R2 isnt loving the power, and I snapped a cv last pass attempt. I'd really like to hook on the street as best as possible, ...
What exactly are you looking for? Good street/track handling performance or just straight up off the line performance or the best of both worlds?

Which Maxxis Victra's are you running? The MA-Z1, the M35, the MA i-Pro or the MA-Z4S ? What tire pressures are you running at the track?

I tried a set of 28" Mickeys too and wasn't impressed. Those were old too which may have had a bearing on their performance.

I think for the best of both I'd go with the NT05's at a 200 treadwear for your car.

I recommend checking out the Nitto website and other online reviews.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-04-2010 at 09:05 AM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Im looking for something really not possible with the power I have, and thats hooking on the street. A drag radial would probably help some, but i currently daily drive the car. I cant see a DR liking that. I commute to class in it every morning. I use the MA-Z1, they are junk. Worst tires ive ever owned. They are nowhere near round and got me 10k miles. Over 70mph the car is terrible. Handling and stuff im not too worried about, I think it handles like crap to begin with, plus it has stock brakes and you cant really party with those. For the track I use my hoosiers, never street tires, so Im not looking for a 18in tire to take to the strip. I only go to the strip a few times a year anyway. I pretty much dd the car and street race if the opportunity shows up. Id be stoked if I could get it to hook from a 40mph roll.

As for tire pressure at the track, usually between 15-18psi, with a healthy burnout.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
The Sumo HTR Z III's will hook from a 40 MPH roll with no problem and will give you good tread life, they're not the best street/strip tire though. I took my car down to the local 1/8th mile strip on a whim and ran it on the Sumo's. I really had to nurse it off of the line to keep the tires from breaking loose.

If I were you I'd also seriously consider the Nitto NT555's or the NT05's. Since you daily drive the car. Let me know what you decide to go with and how you like them. I hope my thoughts on, and experience with these tires was helpful to you.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Toyo also makes a nice drag radial tread wear 0 and the have lots of grooves which should help in the rain

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 AM
PostSlut

the 555 DR's are damn good.
So are MT et streets.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 AM
5th Gear Poster

Yea, just dont get stuck in the rain. you will think it snowed

93 Mark VIII - Vortech S/C 8psi, Kooks headers, 3800 stall, DD valve body, 4:10 gears w/trac-loc, 2 1/2 true duals with a Magnaflow X-pipe resonator, Electric Water Pump, Meth Injection, 17 in Cobra R wheels. [email protected] Pictures http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/for...o=hall&u=16112 Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1210291341?feature=mhee
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pfau View Post
Yea, just dont get stuck in the rain. you will think it snowed
no kidding.....

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in