CHEAPEST 22560X16 Tires?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink CHEAPEST 22560X16 Tires??

Looking for CHEAP, NEW 22560R16s for my '97 Sport model TBird because the present tires are over the 6 year time period that everyone now recomends replacing tires at, and they look NEW still, so I figure that I should not spend the big bucks on a high end tire that I will eventually remove looking new as the B F Goodrichs I have on now do and we really don't drive the car that much, but want to be safe and able to depend on it when we need to. Thanks for any suggestions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 AM
PostWhore

Cheap tires suck.. They are usually made out of the hardest rubber out there and give you a choppy ride. I had a set of Kumho Solus KR21s that were the worst tire I have ever had. Keep in mind a lot of the cheapies are made in China. Since the tires are the second most important (behind brakes) part of your car, why gamble?

Tire Rack is selling a set of BFGoodrich Advantage T/A tires for $81.00 each.. Check it out here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

If you never bought from Tire Rack, they are a fantastic company. They will ship tires to your door or they can send it to an installer. If you use one of their preferred shops, it has the mounting and balancing price right there.

Can't go wrong.. $81.00 + maybe $15 each to mount is a nice deal.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Kumho Solus KH16
General Altimax HP (performs like a tire that costs 10x the cost)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
PostWhore

See? One guy likes Kumho Solus, another hates them.. Its funny how that works out.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Well the Solus is like the most desperate choice, I should have listed the Altimax 1st LOL!
Not sure HOW cheap he wants, hence the Solus mention
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Weird, I know they're "cheap" but the Ecstas have a very high rating on TR. One of my friends have Ecstas on his BMW, and he thought they were better than the OEM Contis...
The Solus KH16s I had were VERY smooth and quiet, just nothing SPECIAL. For the money it was well worth it. For everyday use, I thought they performed very decently.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
Looking for CHEAP, NEW 22560R16s for my '97 Sport model TBird because the present tires are over the 6 year time period that everyone now recomends replacing tires at, and they look NEW still, so I figure that I should not spend the big bucks on a high end tire that I will eventually remove looking new as the B F Goodrichs I have on now do and we really don't drive the car that much, but want to be safe and able to depend on it when we need to. Thanks for any suggestions!!
Keep your tires, keep them properly maintained and keep an eye on them....

Just my opinion, but the whole "tire aging" stuff is BS because there are many, many variables to be considered.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

Quote:
How many years will tires last before aging out? Unfortunately it's impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and tire manufacturers are currently studying the many variables. Exposure to the elements (sun and atmospheric), regularity of use (frequent or only occasional) and the quality of care (maintaining proper inflation pressure, wheel alignment, etc.) will all influence the answer. So while tire life depends on the service conditions and the environment in which they operate, the difficult task remains how to identify all of the variables that influence a tire's calendar age and attempt to quantify their influence.

The current industry association recommendations regarding inspecting and replacing tires due to age originate outside the United States.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."
But just my opinion.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink

These tires have a better customer satisfaction rating than the Kumho Solus KH16s
Anyone got these?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...03385&sw=false

4 of the Fisk's out the door will cost me $369.00 W/O disposal fee because I'm going to give my friends Son my old tires to screw around with on his Camaro.

Anything cheaper out there? I understand that the Fisk's are made in the USA and are a company originally owner by Uniroyal which is now owned by Michelin......

Last edited by Pearl97LXSPORT; 12-28-2010 at 09:26 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Never heard of them....
General Altimax HP is $80 a tire I think at TR. And they're among the top 3 in their class.... (They LOOK great too, and are on my wife's Elantra - the wet weather performance is GREAT, and it even has very high marks for light snow)

Last edited by ortbird; 12-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Interceptor
I have Sumitomo HTR A/S P01's on my bird in that size. Good grip and wear wet and dry. They are also quiet. They also tested well versus other tires in that category. I think I paid $73.00 ea. for mine but now they are up to $80.00 or $82.00 for V rated.

1993 Tbird LX 5.0 Midnight Opal
1996 Mark VIII Diamond Anniversary Edition
Cordovan Metallic
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Looks like the Fisk's have it price wise so far.......I would rather put new cheap tires on my car for the type of driving that we do with it than risk the older tires we have now.
I know that there are varying views on tires aging, but I've seen far too many horror stories to take the chance.
My local (new to town) Discount tire company has the Fisk's and I like the reps that they are getting........
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Aren't the Fisks the same price as the General Altimax?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

I've got the fisks on my 96. I bought them about a month ago to replace my falkens and I was really impressed with the ride. For the monet they can't be beat. The falkens were noisy and wore out after 18k.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
See? One guy likes Kumho Solus, another hates them.. Its funny how that works out.
One doesn't like Kumbo KR21 and one likes KH16 - very different tires. KR21 is a touring tire with over 700 tread rating. KH16 is more performance oriented.

I run KR21 on my Town Car for the smooth ride and long mileage. I have KH16 as winter tires for the Tbird. Both good tires for different types of driving.

I have General Exclaim UHP for summer tires on the Tbird.

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX on the TransAm, even more performance oriented, also a very good tire.

I too do not worry too much about the 6 yr rule of thumb. A tire on a garaged car will last hold up better than one sitting out in the weather all the time. If there are no spider web cracks in the side walls, then I run them for up to 10 yrs.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2

Last edited by Dusty; 12-30-2010 at 07:30 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
For what its worth, while they aren't the cheapest tires out there, the Falken Ziex is a great performing tire, with a good ride, and they are pretty cheap compared to their competition. The only downside to them is that they wear out real quick, but it sounds like that wouldn't be a problem for you. With that being said, I would tend to agree with 94DD that if the tires look good and have good tread, and there are no dry-rot cracks, then you're better off to leave them alone.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 PM
PostWhore

Today I went and picked up a pair (two) 225 60/15 Kelly Ultra GT tires, which I was told are manufacured by Goodyear. They are a 50K mile. They were $100 + tax each mount/balance/vs/tire removal. I put about 40 miles on them so far and they seem to be a decent tire. Gave a MUCH nicer ride than the worn to crap coopers that I had on it. Road noise was low and grip was pretty good on wet/dry roads. Snow and ice were so/so but I also dont have weight in the rear of the car so ANY tire is just going to slip.

I'm happy cause I was able to get the tires for my blacked out sport rims so she looks like this again

but with salt all over it.........

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Fuzion HRI's

Fuzion HRI's on TireRack are only $68 ea. plus shipping.
I had a set on a '93 SC a couple years ago & they seemed
to be a good tire.

Just bought '94 SuperCoupe 5-speed.
Pearl White w/Gray leather.
122K, and at Dave Dalke's 1-16-09
for head gaskets, a little suspension, and DEFINITELY
some exhaust work!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Guys, Yesterday I had a VERY pleasent experiance in purchasing tires at our local Discount Tire here in Palm Bay, Florida.
I actually ordered the Fisk Classics online and they were to be shipped in 24hours-this was Sunday night.
Tuesday morning I called to check and they were waiting for 1 tire to be delivered by FedEx.
Called back about 1pm and still no tire so the manager Andy said come on in and he would upgrade me at no charge to the "next" tire in line (a 6ok tire over a 45k tire) so I did and they installed 4 Riken Raptor tires that they tell me are made by Michelin, they look great and ride great as well, and again the service and attitude couldn't have been any better.
I would highly recommend checking out Discount Tire when you are ready for your next set based on my experiance here in Palm Bay!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 AM
5th Gear Poster

Yeah I love discount tires' service. They can be really helpful. Funny though, they told me my fisk tires are made by michelin. Makes me wonder if they tell you that as a sales gimmick.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in