Classic cool wheels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Classic cool wheels

So, I've decided I'm going to take my t-bird the "classic cool" route with the modifications I'll be doing to it. Other than the bullit/torque thrust/talon 612 type wheel, can anyone suggest or post a pic or two of some cool classic wheels that would fit the MN12? I'm talking about old cragar's, American Racing, etc. The kind of wheel you like to see bolted to a classic muscle car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatspace View Post
So, I've decided I'm going to take my t-bird the "classic cool" route with the modifications I'll be doing to it. Other than the bullit/torque thrust/talon 612 type wheel, can anyone suggest or post a pic or two of some cool classic wheels that would fit the MN12? I'm talking about old cragar's, American Racing, etc. The kind of wheel you like to see bolted to a classic muscle car.
Einki RS6's 17" or 18" they are classy and really go well with the car my roommate had them on a black 95 it looked awesome.

I personally owned these wheels and they were 17"s. In my neck of Phoenix/Avondale 22" wheels are common cars and trucks. They are everywhere you turn here. So it says something if I still got compliments almost daily on my 97 GM GS for these little wheels from people on the street/cops even/customers at work. You can see pics on my gallery.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Last edited by Splattered; 05-26-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Poster

I love this. This is exactly what my plan is for my bird. I feel that classic muscle cars look best with wheels they rolled off the show room floor with. But if you are going to upgrade wheels I would say nothing bigger then 15s with big bubbled tires...you don't need 18s to fill the fenders and lots of rubber just looks mean IMHO. The only really good looking muscle car like wheels I have found in our original lug pattern are Centerline convo pros. I know that no production muscle car came with wheels like these but they really look good on any classic muscle. They are the ones I'm buying. Will need to roll the fenders after I lower the car some more in the front and back but I can't wait.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l sohc - lots of plans but short on time and cash

Last edited by xgrimlinex95tbird; 05-26-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrimlinex95tbird View Post
I love this. This is exactly what my plan is for my bird. I feel that classic muscle cars look best with wheels they rolled off the show room floor with. But if you are going to upgrade wheels I would say nothing bigger then 15s with big bubbled tires...you don't need 18s to fill the fenders and lots of rubber just looks mean IMHO. The only really good looking muscle car like wheels I have found in our original lug pattern are Centerline convo pros. I know that no production muscle car came with wheels like these but they really look good on any classic muscle. They are the ones I'm buying. Will need to roll the fenders after I lower the car some more in the front and back but I can't wait.

Snazzy, I might look into these. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Einki RS6's 17" or 18" they are classy and really go well with the car my roommate had them on a black 95 it looked awesome.
You mean Enkei RS6's? I wouldn't exactly call them "classy" in the same sense the OP is. I had them on my car years ago...they looked good but they were FWD offset so they didn't look 100% clean fitting.

~Jeff

*signed off
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM
PostWhore

Those theings will stick out so far past the fenders it won't be funny. Our cars need a positive offset wheel. Those are a negitive offset.

Last edited by LOLA; 05-26-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Don't do it or your car may end up on the the ugliest car thread here. LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91bluecoupe View Post
Don't do it or your car may end up on the the ugliest car thread here. LOL
Does that thread exist?

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The ghetto thread could qualify.

The wheels pictured in here aren't even remotely classic looking, they look like something from a good year wheel display in 1996.

The problem with true cragars, torque thrusts, ect. is that they are made for very old cars that require no or negative offset, and not to sound overopinionated like usual but the MN12 is a very modern looking car and looks best with modern looking wheels. I feel the same way that modern/larger wheels look like poo on classic cars.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 05-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Hmmm. I see what you mean about the offset. as for the look of the tbird with classic wheels, I've been working with photoshop a bit and I kinda agree with you on that note. I was looking at some of these and thought that even though they look an awful lot like the stock wheels off a 90's camaro, they still have some individuality. in all reality, buying wheels and tires isn't my top priority (though it's certainly up there) so I'll keep looking. I may just concede and go with the GT500's from the onsite vendor. They're still sexy...
Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The ghetto thread could qualify.

The wheels pictured in here aren't even remotely classic looking, they look like something from a good year wheel display in 1996.

The problem with true cragars, torque thrusts, ect. is that they are made for very old cars that require no or negative offset, and not to sound overopinionated like usual but the MN12 is a very modern looking car and looks best with modern looking wheels. I feel the same way that modern/larger wheels look like poo on classic cars.
thats the reaction I always get from my 73 bird.....man! you should put at least 20's on that thing! How about, No....

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA View Post

Those theings will stick out so far past the fenders it won't be funny. Our cars need a positive offset wheel. Those are a negitive offset.
Haha I didn't mean those exact wheels but that style wheel. They do make these in a positive offset...and in the 5x4.25 pattern.

To everyone ripping on this idea...why? Why must everyone insist on 17 inch cobra r wheels like everyone else. Not everyone, but it is by far the most popular wheel setup for these cars. When did modifying a car turn into mimicking what the other guy is doing? I know its easy to see something or read something and do the same thing but where's the fun in easy. How did the first MN12 owner know they could swap out front hubs with a Mustangs? They didn't until they tried it and guess what, now everyone is doing it. Just my $1.25

Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

Combatspace,

If you find some wheels you like but don't come in our bolt pattern try contacting the company and ask for a special order. I know Crager will take a blank of the wheel and drill the pattern...you will pay more but you can get the wheels you really want and will cost less then the hub swap. I'm sure other companies will do the same just takes a call and some people skills.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I dont think it would look right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrimlinex95tbird View Post

To everyone ripping on this idea...why?
You did ask for opinions, correct?

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post

I personally owned these wheels and they were 17"s. In my neck of Phoenix/Avondale 22" wheels are common cars and trucks. They are everywhere you turn here. So it says something if I still got compliments almost daily on my 97 GM GS for these little wheels from people on the street/cops even/customers at work. You can see pics on my gallery.

I really like these. Charcoal gray with the chrome or machined lip.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunnner View Post
I dont think it would look right.

You did ask for opinions, correct?
When in Rome!! Does that even make sense? Maybe TOUCHE is the rite word. Rough week...took it out on the forum. To each his own and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Time for a nap!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
̇

Garage
Classic Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrimlinex95tbird
To everyone ripping on this idea...why? Why must everyone insist on 17 inch cobra r wheels like everyone else. Not everyone, but it is by far the most popular wheel setup for these cars. When did modifying a car turn into mimicking what the other guy is doing? I know its easy to see something or read something and do the same thing but where's the fun in easy. How did the first MN12 owner know they could swap out front hubs with a Mustangs? They didn't until they tried it and guess what, now everyone is doing it. Just my $1.25
These are nice Classic 18" wheels not everybody's using..You could try these..Just to be different..They are staggered though..The Front offset on these is +31.5mm..The Rear offset is +33.95mm..Compared to the MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar at +39mm Front and Back..The Front wheel is 7-1/2" wide..The Rear Wheel is 10" wide..Compared to the MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar wheels at 6-1/2" wide Front and Back..The Center Bore is slightly larger as well at 67mm..Compared to the MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar at 63.4mm..I'd recommend a good Hubcentric Ring for that..The Bolt Pattern is perfect..

Rayo...

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Are those Terlingua wheels? nice find. I might just have to see where abouts to price some of those out. I dunno, like I said, I'm in no particular rush to get these, so I'm just seeing what everyone comes up with...
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatspace View Post
Are those Terlingua wheels? nice find. I might just have to see where abouts to price some of those out. I dunno, like I said, I'm in no particular rush to get these, so I'm just seeing what everyone comes up with...

Close..Those are 360 Modena Wheels..

Rayo...

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
Old 05-28-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Close..Those are 360 Modena Wheels..
Yanno...I was hoping against hope that they weren't Ferrari wheels, simply because to acquire them is going to cost an arm and a leg...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in