New Wheels - Need Info RE: Offset & Backspacing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
New Wheels - Need Info RE: Offset & Backspacing

I want to buy some new wheels for my 1997 Thunderbird LX Sport. I currently have a set of wheels from a 1999 Taurus SHO on the car, and they are in poor condition (corroded badly from road salt). Plus, I am not real happy with they way they look on the car because their offset differs from what my original wheels were; the rear wheels don't look right because they don't stick out far enough into the wheel openings like the OE wheels did (the fronts, for some reason, appear just about the same as the stock wheels that were on there before). I am not real crazy about the style of the OE wheels that were on the car when I bought it, either - that's kind of the reason I changed the wheels. Anyway, I'm thinking about buying 1 of 2 different styles of wheels I like that are sold by the Tire Rack. One style has offset of 40mm and backspacing of 5.59"; the other wheel has offset of 42mm and backspacing of 5.90". Which wheel will stick out farther, or are they about the same? I'm not sure I really understand the relationship between offset & backspacing, and I want to get some wheels that will stick out farther, like the stock wheels that came with the Thunderbird Sports!

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Are they the same width? They probably are not the same width since the offset is only 2mm different but the backspacing is 8 mm difference. We could probably guess at the widths then do the math to find out which one has more "front space".

Offset is basically just how far away from the center line of the wheel the mounting face is, you have to know the width to get the backspacing/front spacing.

Take the width, subtract the backspacing to find the "front spacing" and whichever one has a larger "front spacing" that one would be close to the fender (or sticking out).

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Sorry, here is all the info:

Wheel #1:
Size: 16" x 7"
Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 5.59"

Wheel #2"
Size: 16" x 7.5"
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.90"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Wheel #1: 8 - 5.59 = 2.41 front spacing
Wheel #2: 8.5 - 5.9 = 2.6 front spacing

so Wheel #2 would be closer to the fender edge than wheel #1, by less than a quarter of an inch.

Wheel #1 is close to stock, which is 7 inches wide and 39mm offset, so Wheel #2 should be slightly closer to the fender lip than stock.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in