New 20" Wheels on the cat. - TCCoA Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

New 20" Wheels on the cat.

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

let me know what you guys think of the new wheels. Not sure if I posted the pics correctly but if not here's a link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/297953...-cougar/page-3

1991 Cougar LS : 5.0L HO Swap, Ported&Polished Intake/Pleanum, E-303 Cam, Ford Racing Dizzy, 9mm Ford Racing Wires, 1.7 Rollers, Crane Rods, EGR Delete, JEGS Equal Length Headers, 2.5" True Duals w/ Super 44 Series Mufflers, Magnaflow Hi-Flo Cats, Custom Cold Air Intake, March U/D Pulley Set, 20" Boss 328 Wheels, 245/35ZR20 BFG, Custom Black Metal Flake Paint, Thunderbird SC Rear Bumper and Sideskirts, Custom Taillights, Clearcorner Lens', Shaved Emblems, Viper 2-way LCD Alarm.

Coming Soon: T64 Turbo System Running 10lbs Boost, 2" Lowering Kit, 42lb Injectors, 255lb/hr Fuel Pump, MSD 6A Ignition, Upgraded/Tuned EEC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
You have to have the pictures on a URL to post them we do not have your hard drive so we cannot see the pics that way. The cardomain link did work.
I have no comments on the 20's if they make you happy congrats. I think they make these cars ride like crap.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
You have to have the pictures on a URL to post them we do not have your hard drive so we cannot see the pics that way. The cardomain link did work.
I have no comments on the 20's if they make you happy congrats. I think they make these cars ride like crap.
Alan
Got that right Alan .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 AM
4th Gear Poster

It looks good but that low profile tires are dangerous if you like to run one little bump and say good bye to 200 dollars!!!

PACO.
I wish I can have enough time and money to work on my thunder.
------------------------------------------------------------------
“The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise.”
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jc91sc
I thought to go with the Boss 328 on my SC...I think they look nice. You should think about lowering it a bit so the wheel fills the wells a bit more. Good look, though.

James E.

R.I.P to my 91 Titanium Frost/ Current Red SC
Welcome Home 97 White/ Blue Cloth LX 4.6
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Boost!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix View Post
It looks good but that low profile tires are dangerous if you like to run one little bump and say good bye to 200 dollars!!!
yup at least ! AND that is if you dont get into the wheel...

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
As everyone has said - some more politely than others - 20's are more for show than go.

If you're serious about making your car more performance oriented (as indicated by your signature) then you need to look at smaller rims with more room for tire.

I run 18's and recommend not going any larger than that size. So, now that you've got them on the car, other than how they look, are you satisfied with how they perform?

BTW, your cardomain page says it's for sale for $6,000. You wouldn't happen to be trying to sell it would you?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKRS1 View Post
IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

let me know what you guys think of the new wheels. Not sure if I posted the pics correctly but if not here's a link.
They suck on your car. Also you are somewhat in nomansland with 20's! To big for performance and to small for the bling! May trade em for something that reflects the work you but into the engine bay. The stockers painted black would properly look better, but thats me.

-Maic

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jc91sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
They suck on your car. Also you are somewhat in nomansland with 20's! To big for performance and to small for the bling! May trade em for something that reflects the work you but into the engine bay. The stockers painted black would properly look better, but thats me.

-Maic
I don't know, Man...I'm inclined to agree with you, but to a point! Our cars are too heavy to start with to try and make them 1/4 mile cars. So if he's going, it's more distance and around curves...I had staggered 19s on my SC and it was set more for road course balance and grip than for straight-forward, pin you to your seat speed...they worked QUITE well for me. I may go staggered 20s on my 97 LX. It's all in suspension, gearing, and tranny whether or not she'll just show...or get off her a$$ and go!

James E.

R.I.P to my 91 Titanium Frost/ Current Red SC
Welcome Home 97 White/ Blue Cloth LX 4.6
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 PM
PostWhore

Sorry but I'm not digging the big wheels. That style in a 17 or 18(MAX) would probibly look tons better and not make it look like a 4x4.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 AM
6th Gear Poster

wow, alot of harsh words.
Congrats on the new wheels!
If you want 20s i like this style of wheel, im glad its not the "bling bling dubs" looking 20's.
Just got to get it lowered and you will be all good.

What is up with all the flaming? There are other performance mn12's with 20's and they get glorified, just wondering why this guys getting the shaft. They aren't a bad looking wheel.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM..........MMM..........MMMMMMMMMMMMM
.......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........
MMMMM........................................

THUNDERBIRD: because everyone else drives a mustang.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice217 View Post
wow, alot of harsh words.
Congrats on the new wheels!
If you want 20s i like this style of wheel, im glad its not the "bling bling dubs" looking 20's.
Just got to get it lowered and you will be all good.

What is up with all the flaming? There are other performance mn12's with 20's and they get glorified, just wondering why this guys getting the shaft. They aren't a bad looking wheel.
I don't see harsh words just honest opinions. It is his car he can do what he wants and we could all care less. I have driven a thunderbird on 20's a few times and they drive like crap. 18's is the max size I suggest and I really think 17's are even better. I still have 16's and have no intention on changing them. I however do not care about tthe bling.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Glorified? Ner. Save the 20's for the SUV's... hate to say it but anything bigger than 18 on a car is stupid looking and makes the car look gaudy.. Its just my opinion but i mean we all have our own taste..

1996 Ford Thunderbird
170k miles 4.6V8 Auto
project started: 12/10 - project ended: never
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Zanting
Well at the very least it's not like one guy I saw on YouTube who put 24's on an MN12.

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX
4.6L SOHC V8 | Main Project

Clear Corner Signal Lights, New Headlights
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanting View Post
Well at the very least it's not like one guy I saw on YouTube who put 24's on an MN12.
lol which one? Take your pick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1CMG6n5ENs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKTKriX51Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCptpEgEGyI
http://youtu.be/Zg3fKuaf_oM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274Rv...eature=related

like a graveyard of lost soul thunderbirds lol

1996 Ford Thunderbird
170k miles 4.6V8 Auto
project started: 12/10 - project ended: never
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanting View Post
Now that's just reDONKulous! I love seeing people put thousands of dollors of rims on a car that isnt worth ****(not saying that about or cars). I've seen beat up chevy celeberity's that have 10 different colors, rusted to crap but they have the bling bling 20" rims. Needless to say I'm sure *I* paid for them, if you get my drift.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

To the original poster, i think it looks nice. dont let these guys opinions get you down bro and honestly its better to not ask for their opinions because you will always get harsh feedback if you dont follow the traditional Tbird mods to make yours look and perform just like most of the cars in here. Put on a spoiler, the same wheels as the majority of the birds have here, an exhaust and a few go fast goodies and you will fit right in.
This place just seems to be over run with picky, pampered and OVER opinionated babies.

This is not directed toward anybody in particular in this thread but im just tired of seeing the negative comments when it comes to this.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged95 View Post
To the original poster, i think it looks nice. dont let these guys opinions get you down bro and honestly its better to not ask for their opinions because you will always get harsh feedback if you dont follow the traditional Tbird mods to make yours look and perform just like most of the cars in here. Put on a spoiler, the same wheels as the majority of the birds have here, an exhaust and a few go fast goodies and you will fit right in.
This place just seems to be over run with picky, pampered and OVER opinionated babies.

This is not directed toward anybody in particular in this thread but im just tired of seeing the negative comments when it comes to this.
If he didn't want peoples opinions he shouldn't have asked!
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 AM

I think this is a little BS...this poor guy is getting absolutely hammered with bad/negative comments due to his 20" wheels. Which i guess i just don't get because iv seen other threads on here where guys have 20"s and not one thing is said about how bad of an idea they are and how stupid it is...actually about 99% of the comments are positive and encouraging.
For example: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=135532
Why is it okay here? Whats the difference?

I guess it brings us all back to kindergarten when we were taught "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing at all" and "treat everyone equally"

Getting new wheels is a fun and exciting big purchase. Showing them off is half the fun of getting new wheels. I feel bad for him that alot of you guys just threw it in his face...

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck712 View Post
I think this is a little BS...this poor guy is getting absolutely hammered with bad/negative comments due to his 20" wheels. Which i guess i just don't get because iv seen other threads on here where guys have 20"s and not one thing is said about how bad of an idea they are and how stupid it is...actually about 99% of the comments are positive and encouraging.

I guess it brings us all back to kindergarten when we were taught "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing at all" and "treat everyone equally"

Getting new wheels is a fun and exciting big purchase. Showing them off is half the fun of getting new wheels. I feel bad for him that alot of you guys just threw it in his face...
Or you can quote me on this one
If you don't want my opinion don't ask for it!
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
My only dislike really is that they're chrome, the tire is too small and it's too high, otherwise it looks alright to me. I like the SC GFX on it and the basic style of the wheel isn't nearly as bad as you'd expect for the typical chrome 20"+ offerings.

My honest opinion on 20s is they look good on these cars IF there's GFX all the way around to fatten up the body, the brakes are at a MINIMUM upgraded to 13" cobras or more, the wheels aren't "designer wheels" and most importantly they complement the rest of the car. PHATBRD has put a whole lot of time and money into his car and has stayed devoted to the platform longer than most around here would dare to and it's as much substance as it is looks now (go back 5 years ago or so and compliments weren't so nice in many cases)

My opinion on everyone's opinion is that this is a discussion forum and if no one said anything but cookie cutter compliments it would be a dead topic within an hour. I've been criticized and flamed just because I tend to point out details I'd change or just plain dislike so not everyone will agree with my stance and I'll likely get called a hater or some other stupid flavor of the month phrase for saying this. Disliking others opinions is no better than disliking others cars.

This forum is by in large fare less intolerant to different styles than many other clubs out there. You can call mechanical upgrades many of us choose to do "cookie cutter" all you want but in the end there's still only a handful of us out there who even care to do so to these dinosaurs.

-Matt
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck712 View Post

-Maic

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM
4th Gear Poster

That doesn't look bad at all. A lowered suspension would make it look very nice.

But I'm old.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcavill22 View Post
Glorified? Ner. Save the 20's for the SUV's... hate to say it but anything bigger than 17 on a car is stupid looking and makes the car look gaudy.. Its just my opinion but i mean we all have our own taste..
Fixed it for ya!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcavill22 View Post
Glorified? Ner. Save the 20's for the SUV's... hate to say it but anything bigger than 17 on a car is stupid looking and makes the car look gaudy.. Its just my opinion but i mean we all have our own taste..
Fixed it for ya!

Al
Another fine opinion brought to you by TCCoA.

I think it's funny how (as is usually the case with these threads) the OP started this thread, it's taken off, and (as of this posting - almost two weeks later) they haven't been back since starting this discussion to see what's been said about the topic ...

It's probably just another lame way to boost the hit count on his cardomain page. IDK ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by modularbird View Post
yup at least ! AND that is if you dont get into the wheel...
You are right mbird I see a couple guys at work they have to buy a new set of 2000dls wheels thanks to that tires and the rail roads they sell it to me at 250 I weld it at my brake times and then i sell it lol 350 bucks profit

PACO.
“The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise.”
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Another fine opinion brought to you by TCCoA.

I think it's funny how (as is usually the case with these threads) the OP started this thread, it's taken off, and (as of this posting - almost two weeks later) they haven't been back since starting this discussion to see what's been said about the topic ...

It's probably just another lame way to boost the hit count on his cardomain page. IDK ...
They havent been on.. or they haven't signed in? Funny that lots of casual visitors to forums dont click on 'Remember Me'

OTOH I {who has prolly reg'd on over fifty MB's in ten years} dont if I just join to make a singular statement, so there's that.
__________________________________________________ _________

All considered if you MUST have 'big wheels' on a bird those are a good choice.. but..
I've been watching car nuts bling their rides since the fifties. And I find wheels over 17" to be lots less stupid than spinners. And about equal with 'Continental Kits'.. That's those spare tire rear porches you just about only see on 55-57 Birds.

But they are on the list of useless eye candy, for sure.. there is no practical use for them and they disrupt the aesthetics of anything less than a gold plated and chrome bedecked, hydraulics equipped, low riding Escalade.

Making it more toy-like is the wheel-brake aspect. As a car geek, I wanna see nothing but brake rotor through those slots.

ADDED: Just ran across R8D-xxx's bird:

Now THAT is great balance of Bling and brawn. But if some is good, more is not always better.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 07-28-2011 at 10:49 AM.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
4th Gear Poster

And about the opinion behavior I guess some of us discharge our angry with posts like this one and I know he ask our opinion but you scare the people like that this guy don't posted anymore lol I don't mean be the sweetest persons but I lil bit more of ethic will be great cuz that why we ask because we want to know I'm agree with the people do the same question when the answer is there without search it and turn kind annoying seen the same a like post question over and over well at least that's my opinion I don't have nothing against nobody but sometime both parts cross the line.

PACO.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM
5th Gear Poster

18's with a 50 side wall with a 1.6 drop thats hot non-dubbed 20's with a 1.6 drop is mad cool its a matter of functionality,to flare...you can have both thats why i'd love some bbs 18's with a 50 sidewall on some sticky street tires

Beater lx,current mods: cold air,drilled and slotted rotors,glass pack muffler. Scrapped
Teal terror 94...trans slip and a fram air hog filter!
94 Sc :Cobra R hood,96-97 Front lights,3.73 Trac Lok,1" Raised top,5% OD Blower Pulley,CAI,Removed resonator,Gutted cats,No mufflers. "It roams around in a open loop speed density tune. killing small children and raping helpless mothers at night."
....THAT DOES NOT MATTER!....
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
If he didn't want peoples opinions he shouldn't have asked!
Alan

Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and they all stink.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in