Center caps (Merc) for MK VII Lacey Wheels? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Center caps (Merc) for MK VII Lacey Wheels?

Went shopping this weekend for the 96 XR7....she needs new shoes....!

Found a great deal on a set of 4 '93 Mark VIII (Wrong in the title!) lacey or "Y" 16x7's with some runner tires for now, AND a like new set of 16" compatible front rotors, calipers, and brackets!

The only thing that I could not find, were the center caps......

Does anyone have any knowledge (not guesses please) of another Mercury (or Cougar) type center cap that would fit the Mark 8 wheels?

The plain Mark cap measures 6 3/8" in diameter at the outer edge....

Before I spent silly money on a set of Lincoln caps, I figured I'd ask if anyone has fit a set of something else to the wheels to make it "mo Merc!"

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by fastmerc; 09-15-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
mark viiI

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

edited for stupidity.....!

Last edited by fastmerc; 08-15-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
1993 is a mark eight, not a mark seven. the capital "i" was to emphasize the missing numeral.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Doh!

Thanks John...!!! Didn't see the forest thru the trees.....!

SOOOO, I need 6 3/8" diameter caps potentially with a Merc or Cougar logo that would fit on the MK VIII wheels!

One of these days I'll learn to type.....and read.......

Grazi!
Steve
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

We'll see!

OK, been hunting for caps....

Have a Grand Marquis center cap inbound....will see how it fits.

Looks like the stock Lincoln caps were spun metal with 6 tabs on the back.

The GM cap is plastic with 5 tabs.....

There are also GM caps with 6 tabs, but from what I can get from the sellers, they are slightly smaller in diam. Could just be linearly challenged.....

Worst case, we suck it up and buy the Lincoln caps and put 'em on.....

Started cleaning up the wheels this weekend.....man the slimy stuff they sprayed on them at the wrecking yard to "make them look new"(er than they really are) is CRAZY! It took me a good two hours just to do one rim and tire! BUT, it looks great!!! (These are the 93 Mark VIII "Y" rims)

Soap and water doesn't cut the stuff...in fact it seemed like it neutralized my soapy water in very short order! I finally had to just wipe the goo off with a piece of an old towel!!!

What's worse, is that I'd wash a section, then go to another section and the slime would migrate like an oil slick and then get the clean section all dirty again! Anything you touched got slimy....brush...rag...bucket....gloves...hands... ..clothes....

I'm now thinking a pressure wash at the car wash...... may be in order..... That should run about $6 or so!

Onwards!
Steve
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Car wash did little to clean the snail slime off the tires and rims......rearranged the slime! $6 down the drain here! Good ol' towel and elbow grease seemed to do the job the best!

Cleaned up three tires and rims, found three nails of sorts...can plug 'em OK.

Fourth tire looks good.......but the RIM is cracked!!! About a 1" crack on the inside edge, radially! Very odd! Rim will go back for exchange/credit.

Hit the yards on Wed for a quick walk thru......one yard had 6 Mark 8's and only two rims left on them...but wrong type!!! (One had a BEAUTIFUL lite grey leather interior.....if only I had a project that could use them.....ugh! This leather was NICE! Looked almost new.)

Decided to hit one more yard on the way home, and it was a good thing I did! Two Marks....and one of them had ALL FOUR "Y" lacy rims still on it! All of the lug nuts were removed except the lock nuts! Luckily for me, the lock nuts were of the type that my 3/4" deep socket fit over the locking protrusions just fine, with only a little persuasion from my power handle, and the lock nuts came off easy cheesy! (Thankfully they were not torqued to full spec!!!)

Only one rim was "good" and matched the rims I have. Rim guy managed to put a scratch in the outer edge.....so may need to spend some time sanding it down and re-clearing it.....we'll see......

As I was at the first yard, I began to wonder about my spare in the Cougar...... I never ran across the right cars to find a spare and try it....... so while at the second yard, I decided to see what I could find out....does the 15" spare fit or not. I had my suspicion, but since I don't have a stupid phone, I couldn't hit the list! Anyway, I found a 15" spare in a T-bird and sure enough, it does not fit a 16" front brake setup!

The spare in the Mark that I got the wheels off was in pretty good shape, but had a large rim dent in it.....ugh...... wandered over to the second Mark, no wheels......but the trunk was stuffed full of crap from the guys cleaning up the yard.....proceeded to dig through it, and found a brand new unused spare! SHWING!

Spent more than a few hours cleaning all the brake spooge off of the rim. Not sure what pads were used over the years but this stuff is like burnt pizza sauce on the bottom of your oven! I was OK using Scotchbrite pads on the backside of the rim, but eventually gave up on that slow process and used a dull razor blade with a little bend in it to fit the contours... That worked the best on scraping loose the "carbon" like deposits.....and then the scotchbrite took care of the final cleanup.

HOWEVER, cleaning the stuff out of the front of the rims is not so easy!!!! I got all but two corners in two spokes done last night before I gave in for sleep.... That stuff is just too crazy to get out of those corners. These rims were really neglected.

I think I'll go back tomorrow and get one more of the rims...that was in almost good condition as I have one of the original 4 that has a good rim scrape on it...and this other one may be better.... The remaining two were only fair condition.

OH! And in the second Mark, I found a collection of center caps! I found three razor types (plastic) but messed up, and two of the smooth metal ones that I needed...plus a pile of Taurus and Mustang type caps...... What a bonus!

Ordered one GM cap to see how it fits and looks..... we'll see!

Have a great day!
Steve
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
PostWhore

Pics?

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Pictures?

Stay tuned for pic's!

I hope to get the one tire remounted either later today, or tomorrow. Hit the yard again to retrieve one more rim (and some other crap), and then slam the new sport brakes on the car and have it driveable again by evening!

Phew, that's gonna make for quite a day! I'd better start resting up!!!!

Cheers!
Steve
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Almost there!

OK, progress!

Not only did I swap out the 15" front brakes to the 16" Mark brakes yesterday, but it was one of the easiest swaps I have ever done! It took longer to clean all the goop/crap out of the antilock brake rotor than it did to do the swap of the parts!

I took out what I thought was a failing set of front calipers/pads/rotors, only to discover a set of brakes in pretty good condition, but with a good amount of miles on them, with lots of pad left! Stay tuned.....

I swapped out the old 15" rims for the new 16" "Y" wheels and experimented a little with wheel centers. Rear wheels will go on when I get the 4th tire mounted on a new rim.

I went back to the wrecking yard yesterday morning to get another of the "Y" rims for a spare, as there was one more left from the set of 4 that looked very presentable. The remaining 2 rims are a bit more scuffed up but usable! A rim shop could clean the edges up easily..... So now I have a good rim to replace one of the original 4 that I got, which has a good 4" section of curb rash....but it will suffice until the next call for new shoes for kitty! For the $27 it cost for the new rim ($4 for tire removal) it was a good investment. (The guy taking the tires off told me I could get $15-20 for the scrap rim!! ...but they were refunding my money so thanked him anyway! I want them to make the money so that they are still here next time!!!)

I found another center cap in the wrecking yard as well, in the trunk of a Town Car and just today, I tried to mount the centers on for pictures, ONLY to find out that they didn't fit! They were 1/8" too big!!! AHHG! Now I am REALLY going to need to look at part numbers carefully!

The cap snapped in place enuf to get the idea....

Here's a little closer:

I picked up a GM center cap 00-07 or so....and found that it fit perfectly!

Wife says she likes the simple look of the Lincoln cap....so.....we hunt for more caps! I think the chrome blings out the rim a bit from a ways back, but up close I like the consistency of the sorta polished machined look....all about.

Here are a couple of shots showing the new 16 up front compared to the old 15 out back.

Not tooo much of a change, but the Mark wheels stand out very nicely on the Cat!

I'd be tempted to just slap a set of chrome lugs on it and run it naked! AHH! Shiny but crude in a manner of thinking.... looks a little more GRRRR than with the caps on! ok...enuf..

Oh, and the car stops fine!!!! Tracks straight down the road too! I think there were no real brake problems....just bad tires!!! Just got back from a nice 40-50 mile drive on the back roads for a bit before the freeway, and with the moon roof open and the underground radio tunes jammin'....it was nice!

Now, to get the back tires on, and maybe tune up that trans! It shifts waaaay too softly!

Cheers!
Steve

Last edited by fastmerc; 08-29-2011 at 02:00 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Nice, reminds me of going from fan blades to SC wheels, of course I only upgraded the drums to disk for a brake upgrade(you did one better). Add SS soft lines and get the most from your brake set up. I hear it makes it stop better. Its how I'm going sometime soon. The slightly bigger rim does make it handle better so you should be happy about it. THe GM center cap looks cool actually, Id run those. Those wheels look really nice btw you did some magic.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

All righty then!

4th tire is mounted on an uncracked rim..... rear brakes check out OK, so now I have 4 new "Y" rims all around!!!

....now...to find center caps!

Thanks to all for help and encouragement!
Steve
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Call it done-ski!

Just an update....

Found 3 NOS center caps (Lincoln) and 1 used one (still in the mail). Popped the 3 in place and the one GM cap that I got and it looks pretty darned sharp now!

All of a sudden it developed an O2 sensor code (heater P0155) that required a new PCM, so got a new PCM from the yard (and another set of nice 16" front brakes...see for sale!) and installed it (cleared codes) only to now have it beyatch about the EGR passing too much gass! (P0142) I dinked around with the EGR valve and found nothing.....but apparently fixed the issue somehow..... Will remain one of life's mysteries..... in this ol' driveway! Found out the fan actually works! It had never come on that I had noticed....in the past, but our weather was a little warmer this weekend!

Car runs much nicer on the 16" rims, brakes stop much better..... more appropriate for a car this heavy, and it purrs like a kitten now!

Now it's time for a good bath and some wax! ugh! Next oil change we go to synthetic....try and clean the insides out too.....!

Cheers!
Steve
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Where did you find the center caps?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I was able to find a guy selling NOS caps on ebay. He had 4...tried to negotiate a sale of all 4 at once....and he sold one....now he has three....so after looking at trashed used ones, and not all that many of them....I just decided to pull the trigger on three and would scrounge for the 4th. I was under a little bit of a time thing....as the car is going to my daughter and I didn't want it looking like it was vandalized! ...or low rent!

ANYWAY, no sooner than does this guy sell me what I thought were his last three....and I had purchased a 4th used one that was in pretty nice shape, the guy goes and relists 4 more new ones!!! Ya think he coulda asked me if I wanted a 4th??>??? ...of course, now the price is $5 higher each.... probably due to all the maniacs out there listing scratched up used ones for $25 and 30....! Or perhaps he's looking at Town Car caps which are only 1/8" larger in diameter...and unless you know what to look for...could be led astray! ...I have three T/C caps if you need any....ugh!

Of the two cars that had these "Y" rims in the wrecking yards, there was not a proper center cap to be found! Not even a dented one!

The 04-10 Grand Marquis center caps as you see in the pictures also fit just fine! ...and have the new Merc logo.... I have one....!

Cheers!
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in