Front End Vibration - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Front End Vibration

So as i'm driving more and more, my front end vibration is getting worse and worse. I just took care of my pads and rotors, cleaning up my brakes problems, but this grinding is really getting on my nerves. I know that I've been driving with an alignment problem, so could that be causing whatever's making the vibration noise? Basically i'm asking if anyone knows any simple tests that I could perform to narrow down the possibilities. I do ultimately plan on taking it to a shop to get the problem fixed, but for some reason, most shops are terrible at diagnosing my car. (so as a sidenote, if anyone knows any super reputable shops in the Parma, Ohio region, any suggestions would also be appreciated )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
What kind of vibration, is it at-speed or speed dependent? If so I'd have the tires checked/balanced. The MN12 chassis is very sensitive to wheel vibration.

BTW if you can't get the problem licked I'd be more than happy to meet up with you if you want a second opinion. I'm a little over half an hour from Parma.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 AM
5th Gear Poster

Could be a number of things. Off the top of my head:

You mentioned "grinding". You could raise the car and check play at the hubs (try to wiggle the wheel back and forth, up and down). Does it make a grinding noise when you turn a corner? If so, that's a symptom of worn out front bearings.

Check the condition of the ball joints (if the dust caps are shot, the joints are probably not in great shape, depending on how long the caps have been gone) and the various rubber parts (e.g., strut rod bushings).
None of these rods/joints/parts should be loose.

Wheel balance is a common cause, as theterminator93 pointed out. Not much you can do to check that yourself w/o a balancing machine of some sort (most shops use computer spin balance these days).
That said, there are some things you can check. Look for thrown/missing balance weights. If you see no weight on a wheel (check inside the rims if that's where you had the shop put them) but there are scratch marks on the wheel, a weight was probably formerly there. Of course, the weights and their positions can change, sometimes dramatically, when you change tires. It's rare that a tire/wheel combo is perfectly balanced and will thus need some kind of weight somewhere. If you have no weight on a wheel, that wheel is probably out of balance.
Also, check your tire pressures and make sure they're at the same pressure the tire shop had them at -- you can have an out-of-balance situation with incorrect pressure.

Could be loose/worn steering components or linkage. Check the inner and outer tie rod ends for play. They should be tight. Try to wiggle the steering column all the way from the steering wheel down to the rack. There should be no play.
There could be a fault in the rack and/or pump which is causing pulsations.

Also, just because rotors are new (or turned) doesn't mean they can't be warped/warping. If you get shimmy which is worse while breaking, you could have warped rotors. Raise the car and have someone lightly engage the brakes as you turn the wheels. If the rotors are badly warped, you'll see/feel the difference as the wheel spins.

edit: most of the above relates to steering wheel vibration. I now realize that you are probably referring to entire chassis vibration. You can experience this if something is amiss in the rear, also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a front end problem. Check rear bearing for looseness. Check rear suspension components for play, loose bolts, etc. Check driveshaft for play. Check transmission mounts. As you can see, a great many things can cause chassis-wide vibration.

Last edited by Torque; 06-16-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in