O.K., Now A Few Questions RE: Mustang Hub Swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
O.K., Now A Few Questions RE: Mustang Hub Swap

O.K., Now I'm considering doing the Mustang Hub swap so thati can put a set of the charcoal accented Mustang Bullitt wheels on my 1997 T-Bird, and I have a few questions that I can't seem to find definitive answer to on these forums:

1. Where is the cheapest source for the rear Cobra hubs (besides a junkyard, where I'm thinking it's going to be next to impossible to find Cobra rear hubs)!

2.My '97 T-Bird with the sport option has the bigger front brakes - what size rotor does it have? Is there a Mustang rotor I can buy that will fit right over the new Mustang Hub I'll be using (so that I don't have to redrill my stock T-Bird rotors; I think I need a new set of rotors anyway) & allow me to use my stock T-Bird brakes? I'm trying to be able to fit the Mustang Bullitt wheels as cheaply as possible, otherwise I'd upgrade my brakes, too!

3. Is there a Mustang rotor that will fit my new Mustang rear hub, but still allow me to use my stock T-Bird caliper (I realize that I'll have to get caliper relocation brackets; are those even still available?); if so, what year/model Mustang would I need rotors for? All the info I've found seems to be for upgrading to the Mustang PBR brakes, but I don't really have the money to do that currently.

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
While your car will look cooler with Bullitt wheels, I'd be worried about upsetting brake balance if you only upgrade your rear brakes without touching your front ones as 80% of a car's braking is done by the front set.

You might want to hold off on the upgrade until you buy some PBR brakes.
You can buy remfg A1 Cardone calipers for only ~$40 + core from Rockauto.com and they will come with pads (not great ones but usable ones).

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
While your car will look cooler with Bullitt wheels, I'd be worried about upsetting brake balance if you only upgrade your rear brakes without touching your front ones as 80% of a car's braking is done by the front set.

You might want to hold off on the upgrade until you buy some PBR brakes.
You can buy remfg A1 Cardone calipers for only ~$40 + core from Rockauto.com and they will come with pads (not great ones but usable ones).
I think you may have misunderstood me; my intention is NOT to upgrade any of the brakes (I certainly would were cost not an issue; I'm already going to incur the cost of the Mustang Bullitt wheels AND the 17" tires to fit them, in addition to the Cobra rear hubs!), but to simply buy new Mustang rotors that will already fit the Mustang hubs I'm going to put on my '97 T-Bird AND work with the stock caliper/pads that my T-Bird already uses. I simply want, if possible, to eliminate the hassle of having T-Bird rotors re-drilled to fit the Mustang hubs.

Is that possible?

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear Poster

subscribing

1997 Thunderbird LX
2003 Mach 1
2002 Escape
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If you want to keep the sport fronts and rears there's no other option but to redrill your current rotors. Ford never made them in the sizes your sport has in the 5 x 114 bolt pattern.

Since you understandably don't want to do that, the cheapest and more than adequate option for bolt on rotors is using SN95 GT/V6 rotors with 99-04 PBR calipers up front and cobra rear rotors with relocation brackets in the rear.

Cheapest option for rear hubs is getting a pair of MN12 ones redrilled in the bolt pattern. Otherwise keep an eye on ebay for cobra rear knuckles as they usually still have the hubs attached and can be had for a bargain .

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 08-06-2012 at 08:44 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
If you want to keep the sport fronts and rears there's no other option but to redrill your current rotors. Ford never made them in the sizes your sport has in the 5 x 114 bolt pattern.

Since you understandably don't want to do that, the cheapest and more than adequate option for bolt on rotors is using SN95 GT/V6 rotors with 99-04 PBR calipers up front and cobra rear rotors with relocation brackets in the rear.

Cheapest option for rear hubs is getting a pair of MN12 ones redrilled in the bolt pattern. Otherwise keep an eye on ebay for cobra rear knuckles as they usually still have the hubs attached and can be had for a bargain .
Let me get this straight; if I want to convert over to the Mustang bolt pattern by changing over to the Mustang hubs, but DON'T want to re-drill my stock T-Bird rotors to fit, I'll need:

1. New front calipers from any 1999-2004 Mustang GT?

2. New front rotors for any 1999-2004 Mustang GT?

3. New rear rotors from a 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra?

4.Rear caliper relocation brackets - where can I obtain those?

5. Will a Mustang Bullitt 17" x 8" wheel with 29.5mm offset fit my T-Bird correctly after converting to the Mustang bolt pattern?

Thanks!

Dennis
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The front calipers can also be sourced from the 99-04 V6 as they were the same as GTs. Relocation breackets are sold by Fast Ed and I believe XR7 Dave.

The wheels will fit perfect.

-Matt
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I've been reading this article:

http://members.tccoa.com/dlf/Article.html

Is it true that material needs to be ground off the underside of the rear calipers to clear the Cobra rotors I'd be using?

Also, this article:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12ho...ke_upgrade.htm

...seems to indicate that the Mustang GT front PBR calipers are a direct bolt-on to a Thunderbird with '93-up front spindles - I thought some material needed to be removed from both the PBR calipers AND the T-Bird spindles in order to bolt the PBR calipers on the front of the T-Bird. Is that right or wrong?

Dennis
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
Also, this article:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12ho...ke_upgrade.htm

...seems to indicate that the Mustang GT front PBR calipers are a direct bolt-on to a Thunderbird with '93-up front spindles - I thought some material needed to be removed from both the PBR calipers AND the T-Bird spindles in order to bolt the PBR calipers on the front of the T-Bird. Is that right or wrong?

Dennis
Either the calipers, the spindles, or some off of both.

I did all off the spindle.

According to an engineer friend of mine who does FEA as a living, and has for over 50 years, as long as I avoid shocks in excess of 750G I'll be OK.

RwP
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
I've been reading this article:

http://members.tccoa.com/dlf/Article.html

Is it true that material needs to be ground off the underside of the rear calipers to clear the Cobra rotors I'd be using?
Absolutely. And also from the knuckles to clear the relocation brackets, as shown.

I wrote that article.

http://home.comcast.net/~dlfraleigh/Article.html

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Anybody know of a place I can ship all (4) of my Thunderbird rotors (they'll be new rotors, not the ones on the car at the present time) to so that I can have the centers bored out to fit on Mustang hubs & the wheel stud holes re-drilled in the Mustang bolt pattern? I seem to be having a hard time finding a place here in Phoenix to do the work.

If so, please give me their contact info, so I can contact them to discuss having this done.

At the present time, I'm not really able to do any of the modifications I'd need to do in order to use Mustang brake parts on my T-Bird; I'm temporarily staying with relatives, and all of my tools are in a storage facility. Space to work on my car is also limited, as well as my time (due to my freakin' job I work, like, 65 hours a week at)! I'll be getting my own apartment in the next two weeks, but even then I'll still need to work on my car here at my aunt & uncle's house, and changing the rear hubs is about all I can expect them to put-up with in one weekend!

Dennis
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Do you already have the mustang rims? If not it might be cheaper and certainly easier to just get a set from Brad in the Tbird pattern. That is what I did and use my Sport wheels in the winter.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2

Last edited by Dusty; 07-28-2013 at 11:38 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 AM
̇

Garage
IRS Machining Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814
Anybody know of a place I can ship all (4) of my Thunderbird rotors (they'll be new rotors, not the ones on the car at the present time) to so that I can have the centers bored out to fit on Mustang hubs & the wheel stud holes re-drilled in the Mustang bolt pattern? I seem to be having a hard time finding a place here in Phoenix to do the work.
I'm sure these guys can hook you up..

They offer several different services for the MN12..

Check out their website or give them a call..

Click Here: IRS Machining Services

Click Here for some Reviews: IRS Machining Services Topic & Reviews

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Do you already have the mustang rims? If not it might be cheaper and certainly easier to just get a set from Brad in the Tbird pattern. That is what I did and use my Sport wheels in the winter.
Do you mean Brad as in The Custom Wheel Shop? If so, then the reason is they seem to only have the Bullitt wheels in an 18" diameter, and I don't want 18" wheels (name-brand 18" tires, which is all I'll buy, are way too expensive)! Also, I want all four wheels on my car to have the same width (not 9" up front, and 10" in the rear) - no particular reason why, just a personal preference.

If they had Bullitt wheels in a 17" x 8" size for out T-Birds/Cougars, I'd definitely buy a set from them!

Dennis

Last edited by dmw_4814; 08-25-2012 at 04:11 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Do you mean Brad as in The Custom Wheel Shop? If so, then the reason is they seem to only have the Bullitt wheels in an 18" diameter, and I don't want 18" wheels (name-brand 18" tires, which is all I'll buy, are way too expensive)! Also, I want all four wheels on my car to have the same width (not 9" up front, and 10" in the rear) - no particular reason why, just a personal preference.

If they had Bullitt wheels in a 17" x 8" size for out T-Birds/Cougars, I'd definitely buy a set from them!

Dennis
Yes, Custom Wheel Shop they are 18" and 10" rear - I like them. I think they had 17" once.

I would imagine you could get some Mustang wheels filled and redrilled to the Tbird pattern. I don't know what that would cost. I see the 17" Bullets used for sale fairly often, $300-$400.

18 inch tires are coming down in price. I can remember when 16 inch were expensive when 14 and 15 were the norm. Now that there are lots of 20 inches out there I expect the price of 18 inch to keep falling.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear Poster

i know i am going to have to up grade my hubs due to they do not make a wheel that will work on my car i would like to go 4 1/2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in