The cheap & easy way - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

The cheap & easy way

Because of a very lmited budget at the present time, I decided to go another route when converting to Mustang wheels on my 95 T-Bird. Since my car is more show than go, I kept the stock brakes.I got SN95 front hubs and rotors from NAPA for less than $200. Instead of Cobra rears, I got a pair of 3/4" adapters from Motorsport-tech.com. Their adapters are available in virtually any configuration you want. They are also hubcentric to the vehicle and wheelcentric to the wheels. The cost was only $145 including shipping. I have 255/45/17's on 1999 Cobra wheels, and they fit almost flush with the fenders( they actually stick out a little less than 1/4' at the top) I'm sure any 2005 or newer Mustang wheel with a little more offset will work better. If I can ever get my camera downloading to my computer again, I'll post pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I know hubcenteric wheel adapters are better than the old cheap adapters that just kinda hang there but I don't know if I really trust them. Especially being on the rear wheels..

Love the 99 cobras! Would like to see pictures!

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
4th Gear Poster

I would like to see some pics too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The cheaper and better way is to have a pair of MN12 hubs redrilled in a dual pattern. The adapters are half the price of a pair new cobra hubs.

-Matt
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM
PostWhore

Thumbs up

Speaking in general terms .... I see no reason a quality set of adapters aren't just as strong as the wheel center itself .... and I'll say they are likely even stronger ....
.... and they put no more strain on the hub / lugs than adding some dish to a wheel does as they only add an inch or inch and a half to offset (reduced backspace).

Back in the old days, many guys ran 8 or 10 deep dish Cragars / Keystones on the GM products that had all of five 7/16-20 studs (not even 1/2", like on Mopars and FoMoCos). Big motors, heavy flyweels, some gear, and all in a car every bit as heavy or heavier than these MN12s .... I never saw properly tightened lugs / studs fail in all our time street roddin and days at the local drag strip on a street driven car. I had a '65 GTO with a later model RAIV 400, Hays 40lb flywheel in a Lakewood can, Munci 4spd, 67 Chevelle 12 bolt with 4.10s, ran mid 13s on Road Hugger L60-14 rear tires (just street tires, not drag radials, etc .... this was in early '70s) on 14x8 Cragars always and never a problem. I know that those Cragars had more offset to the outside that these late model Mustang wheels on adapters.

Search for "failed wheel adapters" sometime. Don't consider those improperly installed, that happens with stock wheels as well .... seen it hundreds of times even on the Interstate as travelers had wheels break studs or simply come loose and they kept driving with a noise. But look for wheel adapters that failed.

My concern would be more towards shortened wheel bearing life which is more likely any time you move tire center in relation to two wheel bearings sitting side by side on a stub in a control arm as found in an independent suspension setup.

JMHO ... it's worth what it cost you to read.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Roller View Post
Because of a very lmited budget at the present time, I decided to go another route when converting to Mustang wheels on my 95 T-Bird. Since my car is more show than go, I kept the stock brakes.I got SN95 front hubs and rotors from NAPA for less than $200. Instead of Cobra rears, I got a pair of 3/4" adapters from Motorsport-tech.com. Their adapters are available in virtually any configuration you want. They are also hubcentric to the vehicle and wheelcentric to the wheels. The cost was only $145 including shipping. I have 255/45/17's on 1999 Cobra wheels, and they fit almost flush with the fenders( they actually stick out a little less than 1/4' at the top) I'm sure any 2005 or newer Mustang wheel with a little more offset will work better. If I can ever get my camera downloading to my computer again, I'll post pictures.
Did you ever mange to get your camera to upload the pics to your computer? If so, could you please post pics of your car with the rims on the hubcentric adapters? This has caught my attention because I want to put a set of 1996 Cobra rims on my 95 Tbird and don't want to have to re-drill hubs etc. I was also thinking about Bullitt and/or 2003 Cobra rims. I work at NAPA and can get the sn95 parts for the front at a discount I plan on buying the loaded PBR calipers from work too. Might as well do a brake upgrade when I swap out the hubs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in