Which Wheel Style? (Pics) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Which Wheel Style? (Pics)

These are the Cobra R 17" Replicas. Which style do you like better on this T'Bird?

Stockers

Propped up

I come from a dusty place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The all charcoal one. I'm not a fan of the body color lip look, that's already passe.

-Matt
Old 05-02-2014, 12:40 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The all charcoal one. I'm not a fan of the body color lip look, that's already passe.
I second this, yuck to the white lip!

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 AM
PostWhore

Solid dark color, no doubt about it. Kinda reminds me of my car LOL

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 AM
PostWhore

Stock wheels FTW! I am a retro guy.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PRLBRD View Post

http://www.mn12tech.com/images/sc-body/96-tbird-sc3.jpg
X3!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 AM
PostWhore

All black. Your welcome.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Stock wheels FTW! I am a retro guy.

Al
Technically that wheel design is from 1995 so they're as retro as the car

-Matt
Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:

Beautiful car!

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-03-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Remove quoted image
Old 05-02-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This car has had the stock fanblades for 19 straight years now. Time for a change lol

I gather that the black setup is preferred, but can I get away with the color-matched painted lips without TOO much ridicule and criticism? Or is it just plain overboard?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4point6r0x0rz View Post
...but can I get away with the color-matched painted lips without TOO much ridicule and criticism...
NO! I'll bug you daily about it

Old 05-03-2014, 01:34 AM
PostWhore

Charcoal, no doubt about it.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
What you do is up to you, of course, but why ask us for opinions about which we prefer if you've already made up your mind?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
X3!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post
Charcoal, no doubt about it.

Go with the all charcoal.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
I gather that the black setup is preferred, but can I get away with the color-matched painted lips without TOO much ridicule and criticism? Or is it just plain overboard?
It's just plain UGLY.................

All dark is the way to go.................

94 SC AUTO - $$$$ Pit

Last edited by nickleman60; 05-03-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:53 AM
PostWhore

If you like color on your wheels, you could go overboard like this:

Hey, it's your car and your wheels, do what YOU want, but we're all entitled to our opinions

Old 05-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm not crazy about either one really. I think all chrome or silver would look better

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PRLBRD
NO! I'll bug you daily about it
haha that's a big incentive for me not to choose it then
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
What you do is up to you, of course, but why ask us for opinions about which we prefer if you've already made up your mind?
I was truly undecided and obviously I don't make wheel choices that often. I just want to make sure one choice is not pallatable at all before I eliminate it and go with the other.

Quote:

Hey, it's your car and your wheels, do what YOU want, but we're all entitled to our opinions
Oh wow , strangely I wouldn't hate on that lol It's unique at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
I'm not crazy about either one really. I think all chrome or silver would look better
I can't go back to chrome or "brushed" on these two, and it would definitely be too ridiculous if I rolled around with two chrome and two painted.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:

Oh Bless you
Old 06-04-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Wheels mounted today and short term panic ensued...

Well I finally got my wheels and tires on and I was really stunned at how good they looked when the tire shop pulled the car around. I was quite pleased with the way they looked. I went with Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance 255/45-17s.

Got my keys, jumped in and immediately noticed a clearance problem on the fronts. The inside rim lip and weights were hitting the suspension somewhere with me and my friend in the car (both 300+). I was the last customer at Discount for the day after hours and they said they don't provide spacers any way so we tip-toe'd the bird across the street to a run of the mill tire shop and they said they didn't have spacers (in Spanish). Walked to the VatoZone next door and found some 1/4" spacers that were too large in diameter. Exchanged those for some smaller diameter 5/16" spacers that ALMOST fit. My friend asked the tire shop for a die grinder but they said they didn't have one Turned in the spacers and had the other tire shop put my front stockers back on. Drove to the other side of town where my buddy lives (stopped for a nice dinner at Sea Island...why not enjoy life a little while panicking haha) and found some 5/16" spacers at O'Reilly's to work with. We went to his house and he ground off enough material to fit the spacers on. The front wheels of course stick out of the front fenders a little bit in the front now but overall I think they still look great. Another issue I noticed is that with my 4 stockers loaded up + me at 330+ lbs it scraped the exhaust a little on speed bumps if I didn't go over less than 5mph. Oh well, the price of great looking wheels and 3/4" Vogtland lowering springs.

Tomorrow we're gonna put the custom T'bird emblems on the center caps, pop them on and then take pics to post! Now I need to paint the car and the calipers just to match the wheels LOL

Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have to run 3/16 spaces on my bullitts on the front. I also have to have stick on weights, the edge weights hit the spindle.

3/16 is perfect for me with stick on weights, I would have to run 5/16 with clamped on weights.

At first everyone told be it was a problem with my car, but this is the third car I have had them on, and they hit the spindle. I originally tossed them on my 89 Cougar with the original spindles until I found the thin spacers, but they hit the spindle on my 97 Cougar, 89 Cougar with 93+ spindles, and currently on my 97 Mark VIII.

I am going to go with 255/45/17 all around on my car, I currently have 255/45/17 in the rear and 245/45/17 in the front. It will be nice to be able to rotate the tires (I was hoping to find some asymmetrical tires I like, but only find directional, but front to back rotation is better than nothing). I need to try out my current 255/45/17 on the front, but I don't think I will have any problems.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Wheels mounted today and short term panic ensued...

Well I finally got my wheels and tires on and I was really stunned at how good they looked when the tire shop pulled the car around. I was quite pleased with the way they looked. I went with Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance 255/45-17s.

Got my keys, jumped in and immediately noticed a clearance problem on the fronts. The inside rim lip and weights were hitting the suspension somewhere with me and my friend in the car (both 300+). I was the last customer at Discount for the day after hours and they said they don't provide spacers any way so we tip-toe'd the bird across the street to a run of the mill tire shop and they said they didn't have spacers (in Spanish). Walked to the VatoZone next door and found some 1/4" spacers that were too large in diameter. Exchanged those for some smaller diameter 5/16" spacers that ALMOST fit. My friend asked the tire shop for a die grinder but they said they didn't have one Turned in the spacers and had the other tire shop put my front stockers back on. Drove to the other side of town where my buddy lives (stopped for a nice dinner at Sea Island...why not enjoy life a little while panicking haha) and found some 5/16" spacers at O'Reilly's to work with. We went to his house and he ground off enough material to fit the spacers on. The front wheels of course stick out of the front fenders a little bit in the front now but overall I think they still look great. Another issue I noticed is that with my 4 stockers loaded up + me at 330+ lbs it scraped the exhaust a little on speed bumps if I didn't go over less than 5mph. Oh well, the price of great looking wheels and 3/4" Vogtland lowering springs.

Tomorrow we're gonna put the custom T'bird emblems on the center caps, pop them on and then take pics to post! Now I need to paint the car and the calipers just to match the wheels LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
I have to run 3/16 spaces on my bullitts on the front. I also have to have stick on weights, the edge weights hit the spindle.

3/16 is perfect for me with stick on weights, I would have to run 5/16 with clamped on weights.

At first everyone told be it was a problem with my car, but this is the third car I have had them on, and they hit the spindle. I originally tossed them on my 89 Cougar with the original spindles until I found the thin spacers, but they hit the spindle on my 97 Cougar, 89 Cougar with 93+ spindles, and currently on my 97 Mark VIII.

I am going to go with 255/45/17 all around on my car, I currently have 255/45/17 in the rear and 245/45/17 in the front. It will be nice to be able to rotate the tires (I was hoping to find some asymmetrical tires I like, but only find directional, but front to back rotation is better than nothing). I need to try out my current 255/45/17 on the front, but I don't think I will have any problems.
How wide are your wheels? And do you know off hand what offset they are?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang46kid View Post
How wide are your wheels? And do you know off hand what offset they are?
They are 17x9 and supposedly 36mm offset, but I need to have that 3mm spacer to keep them off the spindles. I haven't actually measured the backspacing recently, but it didn't seem to be what it should have been. All 4 wheels are the same, and I had gotten them in 05.

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

Are they T-Bird specific wheels or have you done the Mustang hub swap?

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED
Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
They are 17x9 and supposedly 36mm offset, but I need to have that 3mm spacer to keep them off the spindles. I haven't actually measured the backspacing recently, but it didn't seem to be what it should have been. All 4 wheels are the same, and I had gotten them in 05.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post
Are they T-Bird specific wheels or have you done the Mustang hub swap?
Mine are T'bird specific...17x9 Cobra R replicas with 36mm offset from SCP

Old 06-04-2014, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
I'd go black or a silver satin.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:

I always thought 17x9s would fit these cars without any issues. I'm converting mine to Mustang hubs pretty soon so hopefully I won't have this issue as I'm going with 17x9s as well.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED
Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Any rubbing issues with that width and offset?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang46kid View Post
Any rubbing issues with that width and offset?
I know your asking the OP, but as I have what is supposed to be the same specs, I can say that on my lowered 97 Cougar I only barely hit the rear wheel well once with 3 adult men in the back seat and hit a pretty deep dip at 45 mph.

I also have lightly touched the rear inner fender on the Mark VIII with two people in the back seat and 200 pounds of salt in the trunk.

I haven't tried 255/45/17s in the front yet, but I don't see any interference spots with the 245/45/17s.

--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in