Another 97 Sport center cap issue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Another 97 Sport center cap issue

aaa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4624a.JPG (390.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4622a.JPG (364.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Putergirl; 04-22-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The Sport wheel was 96/7 only, the basic casting is based off the 93-95 Supercoupe wheel which use a flat pop in center cap requiring the notch.

-Matt
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you change to sc/lx caps you'll need to change lugnuts to the open ended type as the closed ended ones stick out to far and don't let the cap clip in the wheel

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I have a '97 Thunderbird sport which originally had the 16" sport wheels with the center caps with the 4 holes/exposed lug nuts. That, in my opinion, is a FUGLY look.

FYI - FUGLY=f**king ugly, LOL!

Shortly after I bought the car, I put a set of wheels on it that were originally standard on the 1999 Taurus SHO (I had previously used them on a 2004 Mercury Sable I used to own). Those are, in my opinion, nice looking wheels. They have a brushed finish to them, with silver sparkle paint in the pockets; there was a version with charcoal paint on the pockets used on the 2003 Taurus with the 100 year anniversary package that I thought would look really nice with my Pearl White paint, but those weren't the wheels I had, unfortunately. However, the offset of the Taurus wheels is different from the T-Bird wheels, and they didn't look "right" on the rear of the car - they looked like they were too far into the wheel wells. I wish I could've figured out a safe way to make the rear wheels stick outward maybe another -1", because I'd have kept that style wheel on there (on the front of the car, the Taurus wheels looked perfectly fine).

But, I didn't like how the rears looked, so in 2012 I ordered a set of reconditioned '94-'95 Thunderbird SC wheels, with the notch in the wheel for the center caps, and I put those on my car, along with the flat, press on center caps that completely hide the lug nuts. That, I think is a much better look than the center caps that expose the lug nuts.

I'm not at home right now (I drive a tractor-trailer for a living, and I'm in Kansas, at the moment), but when I get home, I can post a couple of pictures of the wheels so you can see them.

By the way, hello from a fellow Arizona T-Bird owner!

Dennis
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
I have a '97 Thunderbird sport which originally had the 16" sport wheels with the center caps with the 4 holes/exposed lug nuts. That, in my opinion, is a FUGLY look.

FYI - FUGLY=f**king ugly, LOL!

Shortly after I bought the car, I put a set of wheels on it that were originally standard on the 1999 Taurus SHO (I had previously used them on a 2004 Mercury Sable I used to own). Those are, in my opinion, nice looking wheels. They have a brushed finish to them, with silver sparkle paint in the pockets; there was a version with charcoal paint on the pockets used on the 2003 Taurus with the 100 year anniversary package that I thought would look really nice with my Pearl White paint, but those weren't the wheels I had, unfortunately. However, the offset of the Taurus wheels is different from the T-Bird wheels, and they didn't look "right" on the rear of the car - they looked like they were too far into the wheel wells. I wish I could've figured out a safe way to make the rear wheels stick outward maybe another -1", because I'd have kept that style wheel on there (on the front of the car, the Taurus wheels looked perfectly fine).

But, I didn't like how the rears looked, so in 2012 I ordered a set of reconditioned '94-'95 Thunderbird SC wheels, with the notch in the wheel for the center caps, and I put those on my car, along with the flat, press on center caps that completely hide the lug nuts. That, I think is a much better look than the center caps that expose the lug nuts.

I'm not at home right now (I drive a tractor-trailer for a living, and I'm in Kansas, at the moment), but when I get home, I can post a couple of pictures of the wheels so you can see them.

By the way, hello from a fellow Arizona T-Bird owner!

Dennis
Kind of not related to the topic, but I'd love to see the SC Wheels on a 96/97 Bird as I'm looking into getting some for mine!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 PM
PostWhore

I have a set of the later style 16x7s which have the 5 snap tabs inside and used the center caps with lug nut holes on my '95 LX. I never did like the 5 lug nut hole centers though.

I modified them by adding a small "slot" for removing the flat cap and I installed a set of flat caps with some "T-bird" decals ..... I also slightly worked the "hump" of the 5 tabs to ease install and removal in the hope to not destroy the plastic caps. 5 humps really mashed in on the retainer ring.

I bought 20 lug nuts.

The slot is there, it is enough that I can use a FB screw driver and gently ease the centers off, mine are 180 degrees from the valve stem.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Weird, I've always loved the 5 lug caps that the 96/97's had. In fact I just mounted a set on my 95 the other day.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
I have a set of the later style 16x7s which have the 5 snap tabs inside and used the center caps with lug nut holes on my '95 LX. I never did like the 5 lug nut hole centers though.

I modified them by adding a small "slot" for removing the flat cap and I installed a set of flat caps with some "T-bird" decals ..... I also slightly worked the "hump" of the 5 tabs to ease install and removal in the hope to not destroy the plastic caps. 5 humps really mashed in on the retainer ring.

I bought 20 lug nuts.

The slot is there, it is enough that I can use a FB screw driver and gently ease the centers off, mine are 180 degrees from the valve stem.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps235e7f97.jpg
Can you get me better pictures of that? I have SC center caps in the garage and was trying to think of how I could put them on without breaking the cap or scratching the crap out of the rim.

-Daniel

My driving is a constant struggle between wanting good gas mileage and driving like I'm Mario Andretti.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134659&page=4

1997 Pacific Green Thunderbird LX- Stock 201xxx miles Daily Driver
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:56 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperThunderbirdLX View Post
Can you get me better pictures of that? I have SC center caps in the garage and was trying to think of how I could put them on without breaking the cap or scratching the crap out of the rim.
First, I used a dremel with a thick HD cutoff wheel held sideways to cut a shallow screwdriver notch that blends into one hump that grips the snap ring, I chose the one opposite the valve stem .... doesn't take a deep one either.

Then
use same to lower the profile of the "humps" as they really squeeze the stainless steel snap ring tight, and with 5 of them instead of three, there's less room for the excess. Go slow and make frequent test fits.

I did later wrap a round of masking tape around snap ring exterior, it aids in friction. In well over a year, no loss of centers. I bought these centers cheap off Ebay and repainted and applied Bird stickers I got from a member here. I have a like new set of the centers with OEM decals that fit my Blades, they are same part numbers.

Go slow, do not erase the whole hump ..... just lessen it a little and try to do each equally. Test fit often. I did mine "off the car" in my shop.

This Spring I am going to repaint the wheels themselves with same paint as used on these centers.

Here's pics.

There is a notch there!

Notice 5 humps, but only the one opposite the valve stem got the blend all the way to make a screwdriver notch. The others just a little massaging.

Notch area closeup:

Other hump massaging:

Wheel sans center cap:

Wheel with cap, though I meant tp place cap with Tbirds head to valve stem ....

Hope they help?

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 05-02-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in