Bought wheels and tires - TCCoA Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Bought wheels and tires

So I noticed on Saturday that the alignment I've been putting off till I can afford wheels and tires has eaten the inside of my passenger front tire down to the belts, so the GT Bird is stored for the winter now until I can afford tires.

I have 3.73:1 gears, and the car was rolling on 255/50/16's when I got it from Traveler. Tires were worn due to overinflation, so I knew this was coming. Speedo reads perfectly according to my GPS, timing a mile, and the police "Your Speed Is" signs. Anyway, the only tires I can find in 255/50/16 are BFG Sport Comp 2's, which look like a good tire, but even though I only use the car in the summer I have trouble buying a 300 treadwear tire. I've had good luck with General Altimax AS-03's on my 1999 Mustang GT, great treadwear, great traction in rain and dry, and although I haven't used them in snow, would I be caught in snow they supposedly would work ok, so I found some in 255/40/18.

I went ahead and ordered these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Whe...143979?vxp=mtr

According to this website, the tire will be close enough (off by .1" height, .3mph at 60), and the wheels with the 35mm backspace will clear my suspension and only be silghtly further out than the stock wheels, which tend to tuck in somewhat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:29 AM
4th Gear Poster

Let us know how those wheels are. I like a few of the designs that the seller has, and they are a good price. They have a set of 7 spoke 17s I was looking at getting for my cougar this spring.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Let us know how those wheels are. I like a few of the designs that the seller has, and they are a good price. They have a set of 7 spoke 17s I was looking at getting for my cougar this spring.
I will test fit the wheels and post pics when they arrive. No tires 'till later this winter, but I know I'll have a 1/2 overlap of tire, and the general location of the tire since they're the same OD as my current ones, so I'll make sure they fit. He has them in a 38 backspace too, but I was afraid of internal clearance.

The wheels are Chinese, not sure if that's good or bad, and if you buy 100 of them you can get them for $50 each from the distributor... Not sure what I'd do with 96 extra wheels though...

These? I like them. Always liked the Cougar 7 spoke.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Whe...-/181907639870

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-29-2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Merge posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Test fitted the wheels with the car in the air. I don't have tires yet, so I can't put it under it's own weight, but they do (just) fit nicely. I took measurements of how my current 16x7 stock with +39offset and 255/50/16 tires fit in my wheelwells. Then I plugged in the appropriate 255/40/18 tire on my 18x9 +35 offset new wheels and it "should" clear everything. I will of course use the calibrated eyeball before driving on it and roll the fenders if needed.

This is the page I use for the calculations. Very handy!
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

This has all of my measurements with my tires plugged in already. Do your own measurements and plug your data in. I know that my new wheels have about 1/2" clearance to the spindle, but since tire size and width are identical, I should have no issues there. I did discover that when I turn my wheels to the lock toward the right, I am just barely rubbing my oil filter relocation lines, so I need to re-route and secure them. Glad I saw it before I made them leak. Going to replace that with braided this winter anyway.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

Yup those are the ones! Kind of like a modern update on my OEM 7 spoke wheels.

My Cougar is away for winter so unless I find something I like better by spring, im going to get those. Glad to hear you used that seller and they worked out well so far.

Do they have any brand name or anything on them?
Woodman likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

My Cougar is away for winter so unless I find something I like better by spring, im going to get those. Glad to hear you used that seller and they worked out well so far.

Mine were in boxes, w something I had never heard of. I went to the website and the wheels weren't there.
I'll look it up when I get home and post.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:02 PM
JAB

Garage
Nice wheels. Can you post pics when you get the wheels and tires on? I'd like to see how those look on the car.
Woodman likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Nice wheels. Can you post pics when you get the wheels and tires on? I'd like to see how those look on the car.
Thank you!
Yes I will. I have the wheels, just got the hubcentric rings in, and should be able to buy tires in January. I'll get them mounted and installed then, and shoot some pictures.

Quote:

I forgot to look at the boxes, sorry!

The wheels came from here...
FREEMAN RACING WHEELS

I cannot find the actual model on their website though.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-29-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Checked out the wheels you purchased. Seems like a really good price for them. Not sure how the "Made in China" will work out but I would image they aren't going to be much different than most other countries that produced wheels that aren't produced in the US or European countries. Would suggest you have the wheel put on a spin balance machine if possible to see how they balance out before mounting tires.

I noticed the size listed for the ones you purchased had a 40mm offset. Wondering if a 38mm would work as well since I'm considering these wheels for my Cougar... 18 18x8 Verde V55 Kaos 5x108 38mm Hyper Silver Wheels Rims | eBay. They aren't as low priced as the ones you got but fairly reasonable compared to some others. And I like the pattern so the few extra dollars for my tastes are feasible. Would like to see them when you have them mounted. Maybe start a thread of photos with wheels mounted when you get them on. By then maybe I'll have mine purchased and mounted.
Woodman likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03HarleyF150 View Post
Checked out the wheels you purchased. Seems like a really good price for them. Not sure how the "Made in China" will work out but I would image they aren't going to be much different than most other countries that produced wheels that aren't produced in the US or European countries. Would suggest you have the wheel put on a spin balance machine if possible to see how they balance out before mounting tires.

I noticed the size listed for the ones you purchased had a 40mm offset. Wondering if a 38mm would work as well since I'm considering these wheels for my Cougar... 18 18x8 Verde V55 Kaos 5x108 38mm Hyper Silver Wheels Rims | eBay. They aren't as low priced as the ones you got but fairly reasonable compared to some others. And I like the pattern so the few extra dollars for my tastes are feasible. Would like to see them when you have them mounted. Maybe start a thread of photos with wheels mounted when you get them on. By then maybe I'll have mine purchased and mounted.
Actually, the ones I bought have a 35 offset, I posted the 38's because the auction I won wouldn't let me post it up. There is a handy calculator that shows what fits with tire sizes and compares them to what you have. For example, stock our cars are 225/60/16 on a 7" wheel with 39 offset. I run a 255/50/16 on those same wheels, and used that for my calculations which show that they should clear fine. Here's the site... Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Another good site that lets you plug in more real data using measurements you take yourself is here...
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com
The link I provided has the details on my car and my measurements, so plug your own in.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Day Out View Post
That's the first one I linked to above. I use it often, very handy.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Got them mounted today, pardon all the leaves, and the low quality of the pictures. I'll get better ones this weekend in the daylight.

Car is lowered 1.5", just doesn't look like it due to the angle, plus it just got off the jack.

Here's a much better shot I got yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Favorite pic of GTBird.jpg (2.11 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-29-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:15 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NeedAbirdinVA
Man those wheels look sweet on your bird !
Woodman likes this.

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

It looks really nice! I like the size of them; with your tbird lowered they "fit" just right. I might have to do 18's myself after seeing those.
Woodman likes this.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
She's at the alignment shop now, I have to say I haven't noticed any loss in ride quality, but I'm on the Eibach springs with GR-2 shocks. She's fairly compliant, yet still corners like a pro.

I do have to watch for potholes, and I need to roll the fenders.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
I'm on the Eibach springs with GR-2 shocks. I do have to watch for potholes, and I need to roll the fenders.

Looking at that pic..It looks like the rear is lower than the front..

In fact, I've heard other people that are running the Eibach springs complain about the rear being too low compared to the front..

You could probably even out the stance of your car by installing a set of air bags in the rear..

Here's the Sticky: Installing Airlift 1000 Load Assist kits on the MN12 platform

I plan on running a set of air bags on mine eventually..My reason being all the extra weight I have in the trunk..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post

In fact, I've heard other people that are running the Eibach springs complain about the rear being too low compared to the front..

You could probably even out the stance of your car by installing a set of air bags in the rear..

Here's the Sticky: Installing Airlift 1000 Load Assist kits on the MN12 platform

I plan on running a set of air bags on mine eventually..My reason being all the extra weight I have in the trunk..

Rayo..
My driveway isn't flat, so the suspension isn't even there.
I'm not too worried about it, not enough to put airbags in it anyway. May upgrade to vorgtlands at some point.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:44 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
My driveway isn't flat, so the suspension isn't even there.
I'm not too worried about it, not enough to put airbags in it anyway. May upgrade to vorgtlands at some point.
So why did you want to roll your fenders then?

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
So why did you want to roll your fenders then?

Rayo..
Clearance in case I hit a big pothole. The tires are just a little too close to make me comfortable, so I want to massage them a little so that I know the tires will tuck in when the suspension compresses.
Here's the car on a more flat parking lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SideShot.jpg (2.49 MB, 4 views)
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Clearance in case I hit a big pothole. The tires are just a little too close to make me comfortable, so I want to massage them a little so that I know the tires will tuck in when the suspension compresses.
Here's the car on a more flat parking lot.
That looks better..

I'm curious, having a 35mm offset on an 18x9 wheel..Just how far they stick out past the fenders..

When you get a chance..Could you take a photo directly down the side of the car so I can see how much is sticking out?

Rayo..
Woodman likes this.

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Got them mounted today, pardon all the leaves, and the low quality of the pictures. I'll get better ones this weekend in the daylight.

Car is lowered 1.5", just doesn't look like it due to the angle, plus it just got off the jack.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...psnfrd8pk8.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...ps56ivshxz.jpg

Here's a much better shot I got yesterday.
This is you?! Man, I saw your post on the FB page and I thought your car looked sweet . Now I know who you are on the forums! LOL

Quote:

This problem is all too common on the 6th Gen Accord with Eibach lowering springs. The term for this is commonly called "the boat look" because the front end looks like it's sticking up higher than the rear of the car.
Woodman likes this.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
That looks better..

I'm curious, having a 35mm offset on an 18x9 wheel..Just how far they stick out past the fenders..

When you get a chance..Could you take a photo directly down the side of the car so I can see how much is sticking out?

Rayo..
Yeah, when I have some light I'll take a pic. They stick out about 1/10th an inch. Should be ok since the wheel pivots up and in under suspension compression, and I'm going to roll the fenders once I get a baseball bat. Car is parked till I get new front hub bearings, new tie rod, and bushings for the rear knuckle and upper control arm and/or the snow is gone. I should have gone 36 or 38 offset, but I was worried more about suspension clearance. The wheels are VERY close to the vertical spindle leg.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
That looks better..

Rayo..
Here are pictures of the 35mm offset. Wheels are straight, so the main issue may be my toe being so far out of adjustment. That's getting fixed soon, have to replace one hub, one inner and outer tie rod, and two bushings in the rear knuckle. Doing that as soon as Christmas is over. May not need to roll fenders, will see how it is once the alignment is done. I know toe is way off, insides of old tires wore down to the cords.

Rears tuck in nicely, they don't stick out at all, fronts stick out only at the front, so hopefully the alignment fixes it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver Front.jpg (1.74 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Passenger front.jpg (943.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Offset no overlap.jpg (1.79 MB, 0 views)
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:56 PM
̇

Garage
Yeah, from those pics..They don't look like they stick out much at all..

I want to see how far your wheels stick out at these angles:

Front:

Rear:

If you get a chance..Please take a couple more pics at the requested angles..

By the way, thanks for taking the time to take pics..At least now I'll know if I go with a 18x9 +35mm size wheel how far it will stick out..

Taking the size of tire into account as well..

Rayo..
Woodman likes this.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

Front:

Rear:

By the way, thanks for taking the time to take pics..At least now I'll know if I go with a 18x9 +35mm size wheel how far it will stick out..

Rayo..
I'll take a few pics tomorrow, mine don't stick out like those in that picture, and my tires are shorter in OD than stock by .6", so that helps with upper fender clearance quite a bit.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
FWIW I have +26mm offset with 17x9s and have never once rubbed the front fenders(the rears, yes).

Also the front end is slightly tapered on these cars, you can't eyeball a toe out condition just because the tires are more visible from the top at the front, mine looks the same way even with a slight toe in as spec.

-Matt
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:

Front:

Rear:

Rayo..
Here's the pictures you requested... As you can see, they tuck under nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear side view.jpg (1.73 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Side View front.jpg (2.76 MB, 2 views)
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
FWIW I have +26mm offset with 17x9s and have never once rubbed the front fenders(the rears, yes).

Also the front end is slightly tapered on these cars, you can't eyeball a toe out condition just because the tires are more visible from the top at the front, mine looks the same way even with a slight toe in as spec.
Yeah, I was just wondering if they looked like they stick out because I know I have a toe out issue, the tires that were on it when I bought it are significantly more worn on the inside edge than the middle and outside. The middles were worn due to overinflation by the previous owner, so I knew I'd have to get new ones. I wasn't happy with the lack of selection of 255/50/16 tires, so I upsized to 255/40/18, which with my 3.73 gears has my speedometer perfect.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Here's the pictures you requested... As you can see, they tuck under nicely.
Yes, they do..

Thanks..Are you running MN12 factory brake calipers front & back?

If you don't have to make any other modifications, as far as wheel fitment issues go..Give yourself a pat on the back..

It just seems like to find something that fits on these cars without having to modify something else is a feat in itself..

Rayo..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in