Recommendations - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Recommendations

Going to get the 189 Saleen speedstars from the Custom Wheel Shop. What I would like to know is what tire size works the best with minimal/no rub AND what are the best manufacturers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:31 AM
PostWhore

Well, what are you looking for in a tire? And when you say "the best manufacturers", what do you mean specifically? The best for snow, all season, family car tires, street legal slicks? Then, there's also your budget. How much are you willing to spend on a tire BEFORE installation and other fees a tire shop will charge you. I'm no tire expert, but these are important things to know for whomever will answer your question on tires.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I work in a tire shop, so I will do the mounting and balancing.
For tire style, it's going to be more street and strip.
For make/manufacturers, I wasn't sure if there is better quality tire from one to another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:01 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Are your original tires 225/60/16? If so, 245/45/18 are the closest match, at 26.7" Outside diameter vs 26.6". The wheels from Custom Wheel Shop (and Supercoupe Performance) have 36mm offset, so they won't rub.

I'm running 255/40/18 on my wheels (with 35mm offset) and have no rubbing issues, but I'm only 26" Outside Diameter, and only slightly wider.

As far as quality tires goes, I run General GMax AS-03's because of how well they performed on my 1999 Mustang GT, and my satisifaction with other General tires (the Alitmax Arctic I will put up to the Pepsi Challenge against a Blizzak any day of the week) and the Altimax RT's are a good tire. I like the AS-03 for a "performance" car because they are an all season, have a 480 AA A treadwear rating, communicate their limitations well, and have a nice, aggressive tread pattern. They're about the same price as the BFG Comp II, and have dramatically more tread life, and enough traction to get you home if you encounter a random snowstorm (relatively common here in MN, even though my car is a spring/summer/early fall only car).

Your mileage may vary, but I like them.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I have Nitto 555 and there great. Treadwear of 300. They have a few variants now (I.E. G2, 555r) so if you wanted to go stickier you can. The price isn't too bad either.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well the website won't let me check out for those wheels. Does everyone usually call The Custom Wheel Shop? It's not that I'm really pressed to have the wheels, just wanted to know shipping.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
I love my Goodyear Eagle Sport in 225/60/16, great all around tire for these cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in