...yet another odd question... - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

...yet another odd question...

Black Bullitt Mustang Wheel - 18x8 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

I was thinking about going through the ridiculousness of doing a Mustang hubswap on my 'new' 1996 MK8, and was perhaps looking at this wheel instead of an 18x9 (or a 17x8, tires for 1*" wheels are the same price nowadays), and avoid stretching out a 245/45 18 to fit a 9" wheel. This wheel has a 30mm backspacing.

Your thoughts...if anyone has any?

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 04:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
Black Bullitt Mustang Wheel - 18x8 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

I was thinking about going through the ridiculousness of doing a Mustang hubswap on my 'new' 1996 MK8, and was perhaps looking at this wheel instead of an 18x9 (or a 17x8, tires for 1*" wheels are the same price nowadays), and avoid stretching out a 245/45 18 to fit a 9" wheel. This wheel has a 30mm backspacing.

Your thoughts...if anyone has any?
A couple of thoughts; the first is that I can't imagine those wheels looking good on a MK8. I know it's just an opinion but the styling doesn't match. The second thought is that those wheels have 30mm of offset, not backspacing. They are very different measurements. And, a 30mm offset is going to stick out just a bit on your car. IIRC, about 35-38mm is the right offset for an 8" wheel on these cars.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
+30mm on an 8" wheel is about the equivelant of a 36mm offset 9" wheel as far as sticking out is concerned, it's pretty ideal IMO

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
+30mm on an 8" wheel is about the equivelant of a 36mm offset 9" wheel as far as sticking out is concerned, it's pretty ideal IMO
They'll stick out about 2/10 an inch more than an 18x9 with 36mm offset, not anything to worry about. I run 18x9 with 35mm offset and haven't had any rubbing (yet, knock on wood).

This is a GREAT site for size comparisons, and it shows how much the wheel will stick out/in compared to stock.
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

On the Bullitt's, I had a set of the chrome ones on my 99 Mustang, the chrome was VERY cheap and flaked off, letting the metal underneath start to look rough.

I ground them down, plastidipped them, and they turned out great. But the black ones should hold up better.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
They'll stick out about 2/10 an inch more than an 18x9 with 36mm offset, not anything to worry about. I run 18x9 with 35mm offset and haven't had any rubbing (yet, knock on wood).

This is a GREAT site for size comparisons, and it shows how much the wheel will stick out/in compared to stock.

On the Bullitt's, I had a set of the chrome ones on my 99 Mustang, the chrome was VERY cheap and flaked off, letting the metal underneath start to look rough.

I ground them down, plastidipped them, and they turned out great. But the black ones should hold up better.
Chrome and aluminum don't get along very well. I refuse to buy any aluminum wheels that have been chrome plated, either by an OEM or an aftermarket wheel manufacturer.

I might be leaning towards a 1999-2001 Cobra wheel anyway (I know that these fit, or at least the two that I've seen with them on there cleared without rubbing), as stated in the 13" front brake thread, I just test-drove a vehicle with 245/45 18's, and was dumb/smart enough to drive down the main road next to my house...I'm not sure I can keep sidewalls on anything while driving down that road, so I'm leaning more toward a 245/50 17 at this point.

IF I recall correctly, weren't the 1999-2001 Cobra wheels around a +24mm offset? I might also have something in and around a +30mm offset as well...

My Drivetribe garbage:

Last edited by EvilMooseofDoom; 09-13-2016 at 02:37 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
94-01 Cobra wheels are 17x8" +30mm, 1995 Cobra R was 17x9" +24mm, and 03-04 Cobra were 17x9 +26mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

Math is not my strength but that website is wrong Offset is from the centerline, so it doesn't matter if it's a 8" or 9" wheel, the centerline is dead center with the only difference being an extra 1/2" (12.7mm) on each end of the 1" wider wheel. Take two wheels with identical offsets, +30mm in this case, one 8", the other 9" - the 9" wheel will stick out(and in) 12.7mm farther than the 8" would. In order for the 9" to sit where the 8" +30mm wheel does from the outside the 9" wheel would need to have about a 42mm offset.

I was wrong about it being equal(I forgot to divide by 2) so the 8" +30mm would will tuck IN about an extra 6mm over the 9" +36mm.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
94-01 Cobra wheels are 17x8" +30mm, 1995 Cobra R was 17x9" +24mm, and 03-04 Cobra were 17x9 +26mm

Math is not my strength but that website is wrong Offset is from the centerline, so it doesn't matter if it's a 8" or 9" wheel, the centerline is dead center with the only difference being an extra 1/2" (12.7mm) on each end of the 1" wider wheel. Take two wheels with identical offsets, +30mm in this case, one 8", the other 9" - the 9" wheel will stick out(and in) 12.7mm farther than the 8" would. In order for the 9" to sit where the 8" +30mm wheel does from the outside the 9" wheel would need to have about a 42mm offset.

I was wrong about it being equal(I forgot to divide by 2) so the 8" +30mm would will tuck IN about an extra 6mm over the 9" +36mm.
At one point I had most of this figured out...but then the 1960's happened (all over again) and I've spaced it off. I think I grew weary of attempting to figure out what I was seeing wrong here and went off to sit in a corner and read a Jane Austen novel. The 18" Bullitt was simply a larger-diameter version of the 17" Bullitt, I know the 17" Bullitt, Mach I and Cobra wheels fit on very-ugly Mark 8's, 18" tires are about the same price as 17's now, so I was attempting to use the default layout, but with one-inch-larger diameter. Yeah. Something like that anyway.

My Drivetribe garbage:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in