• 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By Woodman
  • 1 Post By Mr.Thunderbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Spray tool dip wheels

Wondering if anyone has tried the spray tool dip for painting rims? I hear it's easy and can be removed at a later date if desired. Does this last? I figure you won't want to use high pressure sprayers to clean. Want to see what ol' Bessy looks like all black and electric current red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:53 AM
5th Gear Poster

I painted my factory wheels with black Plasti-Dip. The flat black finish can be improved with the glossifier, but it doesn't last long, and brake dust, etc., will quickly dull the finish. Black wheels on my dark green car give it a bit of a stealth look, but it is hard to maintain on a flat black finish. This was an experiment to see how I liked the look of all black wheels. I like it enough to consider repainting with a permanent semi-gloss paint.

I recently peeled off the coating on one rear wheel because it was deteriorating around the edge of the rim allowing the bright metal to show through. The same thing is happening on the other rear wheel, but both fronts look fine, just dull in the finish.

Living on a dusty road doesn't help matters.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The removable nature by, uh, nature means it doesn't last long. IMO it looks like trash, so sick of the plastidip fad.
GT_any likes this.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks for the response. Old Betsy is in the shop now having the transmission installed. Looking to do some more improvements when she gets back. Found cross drilled rotors, calipers and shoes on eBay for $148 delivered. Seem to be.pretty good quality. Then in March she's headed to North Carolina for 3.55 gears. Like working on this almost as much as driving it.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:30 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I just had a set of wheels powder coated and I am really liking how they are looking.

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.
3,700 lbs at half tank. Goal- 3,400 lbs
Best of 13.85 at 96 mph. Goal- 11's NA

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine- R.I.P.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Plastidip lasts at least as long as your tires. Sadly, depending on if you dip the outer rim or not will depend on if it lasts past your tires.

I dipped a set of Bullit knock offs for my 99 Mustang when I had it. Here's the before...

I took a wire wheel attached to a cordless drill and ground down the rust bubbles, then sanded them as smooth as I could, cleaned them with simple green, and applied several coats of plastidip from the spray can.

I kept the car over a year after that, and the dip showed no signs of fading or going away.

If you go to www.dipyourcar.com they have kits do do pretty much anything you want to a car or wheels. My current plan is to dip my red with silver LE stripes 97 into a glossy, pearl black with gold wheels and gold LE stripes. I think it'll look good, has much less chance of scratching than paint, and less overall upkeep.
Natesriv likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks, those before and after pics look great and helped me make the decision to give it a try over buying new rims.
Woodman likes this.

Mr.Thunderbird
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Thunderbird View Post
Thanks, those before and after pics look great and helped me make the decision to give it a try over buying new rims.
As with everything, it's 90% prep, 10% application. Do all the prep, keep them clean with a simple green style cleaner, and they'll turn out well.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in