Mustang Hub Swap DIY as of 2017 - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
So how is he going to get his mustang bolt pattern wheels over his tbird bolt pattern rear axle hub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
You can buy new hubs from summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-1109-a

No one drills the fronts; they buy the mustang hubs.
Maybe this?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
So how is he going to get his mustang bolt pattern wheels over his tbird bolt pattern rear axle hub?
Quote:
You can buy new hubs from summit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-1109-a

No one drills the fronts; they buy the mustang hubs.
Maybe this?
I get buying front hubs but for the rears
$300 is more than I spent on a couple of mice Thunderbird donor cars

If I had to do this, I would be inclined to redrill the rears and swap in new bearings. Even if he Hayes a machine shop to do the work after knocking out the old lugs, it would be less than three hundred bucks all In.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Garage
The price I see on those hubs is $163; I paid $200 for the hubs (with ARP studs), when they quit selling them for a while, of course, and ~100 for the reloc brackets.

Drilling was a $250 fixture, $50 in bits, and iffy results, depending on skill.

(Actually, I just checked, It's only $100, my bad memory.)

I'm happy with the sure thing, personally.

Is that worth $100, as I said, depends on skill.

YMMV, as they say.

Trashed Tbirds/cougars sell for $500 here, no problem.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I have Cobra hubs, but if I could do it over again, I’d absolutely go the redrill route

-Matt
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I have Cobra hubs, but if I could do it over again, I’d absolutely go the redrill route
I considered it, but I've drilled 1/4" steel before, and the time, hassle and materials were not really worth it to me; I'm doing too many other things.

You can drill the stock rotors too, and keep the stock brake rotors. But the cobra rotors are better, in my eyes.

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I considered it, but I've drilled 1/4" steel before, and the time, hassle and materials were not really worth it to me; I'm doing too many other things.

You can drill the stock rotors too, and keep the stock brake rotors. But the cobra rotors are better, in my eyes.
Going from Mustang -> TBIRD bolt pattern:
FWIW, I showed up at a machine shop I use for my engine work with the cobra front rotors, my old tbird hub with the studs punched out as a guide, and asked them to drill them for me.
I think I paid $120 to drill 4 rotors and it took them ~1hr (being generous) With their own drill bits.

This is with Bay Area CA labor rates. I'd assume most other places in the country have a labor rate closer to 1/2 that per hour.

In the OPs case, I suspect that with a little more setup work, you could use the mustang rotors as a guide instead of buying the fixture
You merely have to remove the tbird rear hubs and punch out the old studs.
You would then center the mustang rotors in the center of the rear hubs (maybe use hub centric rings like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Polycarbo...-/172382606932) and finally mark the center of each of holes in the rotor on the hubs.
A decent machinist should have no problems doing that.
They would then drill 5 holes per hub in the spot required to pull/press the studs through. The drilled holes have to be the right size for your chosen studs.
You could then use a nut to suck the studs through the new holes OR just have them press the studs in using a shop press.
If you are friendly enough with the shop, you can probably do the press in yourselves while they drill the holes for you.
Grog6 likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in