20x9 Offset for tucking wheels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

20x9 Offset for tucking wheels

Anyone suggest that a 20x9 will clear slammed out past the front fender lip and rear wheel well with a 20x9 with a 40mm offset and 73.1 hub bore ?
And is this hub bore sufficient enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you are going to go that large a wheel, might I suggest this look?

Wide Load // Ishikawa-san's Super-Wide Celsior | StanceNation? // Form > Function

I'd love to see a tbird with that squished bug look but you are probably going to have to fabricate your own front LCAs to get that much negative camber. On the rear, a bent up UCA (or cut and welded) might work.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
I...I'd love to see a tbird with that squished bug look but you are probably going to have to fabricate your own front LCAs to get that much negative camber. On the rear, a bent up UCA (or cut and welded) might work.

-g
Why, exactly would you do this?

Is it one of those fads I hear about?

I do not understand; please edumacate me.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
If you are going to go that large a wheel, might I suggest this look?

Wide Load // Ishikawa-san's Super-Wide Celsior | StanceNation? // Form > Function

I'd love to see a tbird with that squished bug look but you are probably going to have to fabricate your own front LCAs to get that much negative camber. On the rear, a bent up UCA (or cut and welded) might work.

-g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Quote:
I...I'd love to see a tbird with that squished bug look but you are probably going to have to fabricate your own front LCAs to get that much negative camber. On the rear, a bent up UCA (or cut and welded) might work.

-g
Why, exactly would you do this?

Is it one of those fads I hear about?

I do not understand; please edumacate me.
The both of you are actually ridiculous at this point are we 12 or are we men here?

I don't go around bashing everybody's plans and ideas on here as I don't expect it in return

That is not in even remotely close to what a Thunderbird would look like slammed or even lowered on 20 inch rims

As funny as that comment and photo is I cannot even believe you would compare a honda which is known for extreme Neg- camber to a Thunderbird that could easily handle a 20" wheel and retain a normal camber or very close to it .The Average car/suv these days has 20s or 22's it don't start looking ridiculous still you have a 26" This isn't like 20 yrs ago when that size wheel was ridiculous cause it was out of the Norm! So is this disgust for air ride or large wheels?
So a guy that runs a 1/4 mile prostreet 200mp machine... that's tucking skinny's up front and 4 linked tubbed with slicks in the rear with 3 inches of ground clearance is he a uneducated assh*** going through a fad too?
My fault if I think these cars with a stanced look is nice on air ride.. fact remains these cars wouldn't even get to a neg camber point by the time you figure it in with ground effects and ride height adjustment on air .
It's not a fad it's just a way of people's likes and choices and opinions. I gather it's a bias topic on here clearly .

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 10-04-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Merged posts
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Actually in the rear you'll max out camber adjustment before the fender lip starts skirting the tire, so yes you will have prominent negative camber when slammed, at least in the rear, front has a bit more adjustment range so it can probably go lower and retain in spec alignment - if you so desire.

I don't understand the hostility, I'm interjecting some of what you said in the airbag thread here, but it's not an age thing, slamming and bagging isn't new and fresh for one, nor are using 20" wheels. I was 17 when I joined TCCoA and it was old news, the bagged birds guys, phatbrd(though his car was never bagged), Musto(hydraulics), et al were all regulars 10 years ago.

As for my own opinion, I had 20x8.5/20x10 wheels in July, and if it were slammed they probably would have looked a lot better to me, but I don't like pussy footing across railroad tracks and speed bumps anymore, so I went down to 19s and the proportions are now perfect. Citing SUVs is pointless, it all comes down to proportions, these cars have a low lanky profile and the height of the wheel in relation to the body height is jarring at normal ride heights. SUVs and modern cars are much taller and thicker, making large wheels look shrouded and proportional, though GFX helps thicken up the bodies of these cars.

Grog, it's called hellaflush, or VIP, depending on who you ask.

-Matt
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Actually in the rear you'll max out camber adjustment before the fender lip starts skirting the tire, so yes you will have prominent negative camber when slammed, at least in the rear, front has a bit more adjustment range so it can probably go lower and retain in spec alignment - if you so desire.

I don't understand the hostility, I'm interjecting some of what you said in the airbag thread here, but it's not an age thing, slamming and bagging isn't new and fresh for one, nor are using 20" wheels. I was 17 when I joined TCCoA and it was old news, the bagged birds guys, phatbrd(though his car was never bagged), Musto(hydraulics), et al were all regulars 10 years ago.

As for my own opinion, I had 20x8.5/20x10 wheels in July, and if it were slammed they probably would have looked a lot better to me, but I don't like pussy footing across railroad tracks and speed bumps anymore, so I went down to 19s and the proportions are now perfect. Citing SUVs is pointless, it all comes down to proportions, these cars have a low lanky profile and the height of the wheel in relation to the body height is jarring at normal ride heights. SUVs and modern cars are much taller and thicker, making large wheels look shrouded and proportional, though GFX helps thicken up the bodies of these cars.

Grog, it's called hellaflush, or VIP, depending on who you ask.
Well I was given silly illustrations and not even a educated guess and as you can see it came off child like to me .They asked me to educate them on why and what i thought and I did .I choose to like what I like.
I'm not the one who called it a fad I'm well aware it's nothing new and it's not a fad it's a way of life for some still to this day.
I just came here for positive opinions and feedback not for a change of mind.

Thanks for the good feedback at least as far as the rear set up will go.
Regardless
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:22 PM

Garage
Hey, I'm just asking questions; this look is unfamiliar to me.

I break stock wheels; I do not need expensive ones.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
I'm not the one who called it a fad I'm well aware it's nothing new and it's not a fad it's a way of life for some still to this day.
This has to be among the funniest things I'v ever read, that weren't from twitter.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
The both of you are actually ridiculous at this point are we 12 or are we men here?

I don't go around bashing everybody's plans and ideas on here as I don't expect it in return

That is not in even remotely close to what a Thunderbird would look like slammed or even lowered on 20 inch rims

As funny as that comment and photo is I cannot even believe you would compare a honda which is known for extreme Neg- camber to a Thunderbird that could easily handle a 20" wheel and retain a normal camber or very close to it .The Average car/suv these days has 20s or 22's it don't start looking ridiculous still you have a 26" This isn't like 20 yrs ago when that size wheel was ridiculous cause it was out of the Norm! So is this disgust for air ride or large wheels?
So a guy that runs a 1/4 mile prostreet 200mp machine... that's tucking skinny's up front and 4 linked tubbed with slicks in the rear with 3 inches of ground clearance is he a uneducated assh*** going through a fad too?
My fault if I think these cars with a stanced look is nice on air ride.. fact remains these cars wouldn't even get to a neg camber point by the time you figure it in with ground effects and ride height adjustment on air .
It's not a fad it's just a way of people's likes and choices and opinions. I gather it's a bias topic on here clearly .
I was merely making light of the fact that you want to run 20" wheels and that was the first image that came to mind. I have no idea why you would buy 20" rims on any car where I live because the roads are completely underfunded (California) although the idea of in-car adjustable ride height is a bit appealing for a DD if you live in SF given all the steep angles (any lower than stock and you WILL scrape most cars around town). Of course, it's your money, do what you want with it and don't mind me. I have probably $20K into a tbird now that cost me $100 to race against other idiots over the past 7 years. Why do I devote my ONE CAR garage to this stupid car? For the same reason you want to put a cappucino machine in the rear of yours. Personally though, I wouldn't call it a "lifestyle" (that's really funny) but a hobby.

Also, that's a lexus, not a honda.

Finally, I think anyone driving a "1/4mi prostreet 200mph machine with tucked skinnies up front and 4 linked tubbed with slicks on the rear on ON THE STREET" is a bit of an asshat. Education has nothing to do it it. That simply is a silly vehicle to go to the grocery store with.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Sincence the background appears to be Japan it's a Toyota Celsior. Lexus the brand and their alphabet soup naming scheme is a North American concoction, just like Acura

-Matt
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Garage
There is a bit too much to read here that isn't a good bit of arguing and the like. However, the general feel I get is that you're looking for what the impact of running 20x9's with tires that you would like to tuck under the fenders.

Well, I'm running 18x9's with 275/40-18's. They definitely stick out and even with the fenders rolled I still rub/cut the tires. I might be able to adjust camber to make it so that they don't do that but I would have do my alignment manually as I don't have many local choices on having someone do the alignment that meets those specs. I'm thinking that I could reduce the problem by running 275/35-18's. Since I'm just using my car to race it shouldn't be a problem for me. Of course my car sits pretty low so that compounds the issue. At normal ride height and tires that are closer to 26.5" in diameter I think you could probably get away with it without rubbing but they still won't tuck. I also think that you'll run into problems with the wheel rubbing the knuckle and/or the UCA or ball joint.

I know that it will generally work but I'm not sure that you'll be able to lower it and get it to tuck with 20x9's. I don't have experience with it however.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Garage
The worst part of lowering these cars is pulling UP on the fender so the jack will go under the car.

That's the tbird with 1.5" Tockico + Voightlands, and 225-60/15.

The Konis aren't low, with the uncut sport springs.

Hey, I'm all for doing all you want to do to your car; I've Raped mine, yours will like it too, believe me.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Bird-Aholic

Garage
I'd not go above 18" IMHO. That's about the sweet spot. any bigger and you'll wonder why the ride sucks so much.

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Arguably, the air suspension can soften up things enough to offer an acceptable ride even with 20" rubber band tires.
Another way to address things would be with a wide body kit.
For some reason, I think this looks pretty 90's cool.

Finding one in 2017 might be a challenge

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Arguably, the air suspension can soften up things enough to offer an acceptable ride even with 20" rubber band tires.
Another way to address things would be with a wide body kit.
For some reason, I think this looks pretty 90's cool.

Finding one in 2017 might be a challenge
Reminds me of a delorean in a weird way
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
I'd not go above 18" IMHO. That's about the sweet spot. any bigger and you'll wonder why the ride sucks so much.
19" FTW! Worst part is avoiding curb rash, but ride quality is indistinguishable from my 17s

-Matt
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Reminds me of a delorean in a weird way
Add the rear window louvers and you might be onto something.
-g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in