Wanting to space my wheels out - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm not a fan of how my rims sit in the fender on my m8..even with the stocks they sat too far in imo..
I've read nothing but bad stuff about universal spacers and those won't cut it for me anyways..( you can see how deep on they sit when you look at my rear as compared to the outside of the fender by the bumper ?)
I want to space them out atleast an inch..
I was looking at 1.25in spacers.
My ? With those is, do they just bolt onto the hub and then the rim onto those? Or do my stock studs have to be changed?
Is anyone running these or lug adapters with the same thickness and if so any pics? Idc if it's a bird or cougar or m8 ..
Any balance or steering or suspension issues using them?
I figure it's cheaper to space them out and get about taller and wider tires than it would be to find some other 5x108 rims. And I know but no..im not doing the 5x114 swap..too much time and money in different rims and tires when mine are just fine.
Side note, I found cool centercap kits..its a black backing and you stick the other emblem over it..i wanna do lincoln emblems or possibly cobras on them..
I also FINALLY found some real steel cobrastar emblems..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2017-11-23-17-15-40_1511922167932_1518509633677.jpg (121.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Bird-Aholic

Garage
you can do a lot with just the wheels. The offset can make a big difference. Wider wheels with a larger offset can fill out the fenders better.

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Spacers are generally considered a bad idea because moving your wheel out like that will adversely affect your suspension geometry -- esp since you are talking about adding 1.25" of thickness.

https://www.motorsport.com/automotiv...s-good-or-bad/

While switching wheels to different ones with a larger offset is clearly the way to solve the issue properly, you made it clear you want to stick with your stock wheels/tires.

Personally, if I was dead set on using spacers, at a minimum I would go with oversized, longer studs.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/arp-whee...1973/p/HW1175/ - I paid $14/ea wheel
You'll also need new lug nuts but those can be bought cheaply as well (I purchased 20 for $11).

It'll take time to install them but it's just labor (punch out old studs, drill them out a bit, press the new studs in).
The alternative (losing a wheel because you sheared off your old, abused studs) is not fun. My teammate learned this on the track from experience.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Dont do this
390774157.jpg

Dont get the stamped steel looking ones because this happens
IMG_1055.jpg

If you are gonna get spacers get these, dont cheap out. Cheap knock offs are cast instead of billet, and are worse than the stamped looking ones because they crack around the stock stud mounts.
J100749.jpg

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Dont do this
Attachment 27537

Dont get the stamped steel looking ones because this happens
Attachment 27545

If you are gonna get spacers get these, dont cheap out. Cheap knock offs are cast instead of billet, and are worse than the stamped looking ones because they crack around the stock stud mounts.
Attachment 27553
Q: Why rely on the studs on the spacers vs just installing extra long studs?
I guess because you want the quick and easy solution but IMO, this seems like someone trying to make a taller ladder by duct taping two ladders together.. or stacking two stools on top of each other and hoping for the best.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Q: Why rely on the studs on the spacers vs just installing extra long studs?
I guess because you want the quick and easy solution but IMO, this seems like someone trying to make a taller ladder by duct taping two ladders together.. or stacking two stools on top of each other and hoping for the best.

-g
Extra long studs would work with those flat spacers, which I had pictured why I dont like them. They break studs. Even seen it in person.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in