mini-spare for those with Cobra brakes and 5 on 4.25" pattern - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

mini-spare for those with Cobra brakes and 5 on 4.25" pattern

Hey guys

For those of you running the 13" Cobra brakes, but with the original MN-12 Bird / Cougar 5 on 4.25" stud pattern, I've found something for you.

Rather than having to carry a full size wheel for a spare, or swapping a rear wheel to the front and putting your mini-spare on the rear, here's an alternative. The Lincoln LS from 2001 model year equipped with the 17" wheel option package comes with a 17" aluminum mini-spare wheel. These cars are also 5 on 4.25" pattern. I ordered one of those wheels in from Ford, and last night I tried sitting a Cobra rotor and caliper assembly in it. With a 1/8" spacer, everything clears. The only thing I didn't have on hand to try with it was the hub assy. I'm concerned that the hub hole in the wheel may not be large enough, it's 2.5" diameter. But there is lots of material that the hole could be opened up if necessary.

Not sure how many of those cars might be in the salvage yards yet, and the new one is a bit pricey, about $230 CAN wholesale price up here. No idea what the U.S. pricing is, I don't have access to that. The Ford p/n is 1W4Z 1007 BA if anybody wants to check. And if you're salvage yard searching, don't pass over black painted wheels thinking they're stamped steel ... these 17" minis are spun aluminum, painted black.

For a mini-spare tire to go on these, Ford's current supplier is Maxxis Tire, www.maxxis.com . They have a T185-60R17 mini-spare tire for the LS and 03 T-Birds. Only about $75 up here, so maybe $50 U.S. ??

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

This is good news... I'm thinkin "skinnies".... it'll be nice having a spare tire, too.

I've got a call into Dan Newman, as soon as he gets back to me, I'll post the price.

How sure are you that the hub hole will need to be enlarged? I wouldn't want to take a dremmel to it, but I would think any decent machine shop should be able to open it up to exactly what we need.

Can you tell if we can avoid the 1/8" spacer if we shave the fins on the calipers a bit?? I had to shave mine to clear my Ronal 17" wheels.

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in