Painting Wheels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Painting Wheels

Gents,

Question for those out there that have had their wheels painted...What did you guys use to strip the clear coat off. I have a set of Borbet TD's that need a once over but the thing is they have a polished aluminum lip that can be polished to a chrome like shine but the lip is coated in a super hard clear coat. Is there a compound out there that will essentally soften the clear without damaging the wheel itself. Get at me. Thanks.

House

Fly Low, Fly Fast, Fly Ford Forever!!!

Stock 94 block, Richard M intake tube, C&L 73mm MAF, BBK 75mm TB, Port matched elbow, 9 in K&N in the fender well, Diablo chip, M8 flywheel and TQ, FOrd racing underdrive pullies, NGK plugs, FRPP 3:73, auburn limited slip diff, 2.5in exhaust from manifolds back into Dynamax SS mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Veteran Poster

Aircraft stipper
That stuff will take off anything. Not sure what the aluminum lip will look like any case it should be able to be buffed out and be fine.

K&N FIPK73mm C&L MAF*22C plugs*FRPP 9mm wires*MARCH Performance Pullies*Sprint springs*Cat-back Flowmaster exhaust
95 Front end*SCP Cobra R Hood*93 SC rear bumper "smoothed out"*Ford Racing Cobra R's*OEM spoiler
Idaglo silver gauges w/ blue needles*All black interior with Mark VIII leather seats
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Hey Ray,

Thanks for the tip. I checked out you car. I like the color. One thing though. Get ride of the violin case intake tube and ee if someone has a Richard M for sale. It makes a hechava difference.

Stock 94 block, Richard M intake tube, C&L 73mm MAF, BBK 75mm TB, Port matched elbow, 9 in K&N in the fender well, Diablo chip, M8 flywheel and TQ, FOrd racing underdrive pullies, NGK plugs, FRPP 3:73, auburn limited slip diff, 2.5in exhaust from manifolds back into Dynamax SS mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Veteran Poster

Sorry man its just too ugly under there. . . . . . . and it would require me to really try to clean under the hood. As opposed to just half a$$. lol . Thanks for the comp, it is a custom mix me and my dad came up with.

K&N FIPK73mm C&L MAF*22C plugs*FRPP 9mm wires*MARCH Performance Pullies*Sprint springs*Cat-back Flowmaster exhaust
95 Front end*SCP Cobra R Hood*93 SC rear bumper "smoothed out"*Ford Racing Cobra R's*OEM spoiler
Idaglo silver gauges w/ blue needles*All black interior with Mark VIII leather seats
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
strip the old paint off with aircraft stripper, and drop the wheels off at a powdercoater shop.

The results will be much better than anything you are giong to get with a can of paint.

JH
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That I know but finding one in the MD, DC, VA area is the challenge...I want to go to a black painted five spoke with a polished Aluminum lip but I cannot find the shop to do the work.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
look in your phone book under metal refinishing, if they won't do it then they will steer you in the right direction.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

That will work..thanks for your help.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by MN12-Blackbird
That I know but finding one in the MD, DC, VA area is the challenge...I want to go to a black painted five spoke with a polished Aluminum lip but I cannot find the shop to do the work.
If you don't find one local to you, I can point you towards one here in the Richmond area.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Veteran Poster

JustinH is right powdercoat is the way to go. I didn't think you wanted to put any knind of real cash into it. I'm doing mine next month, I'm not sure what a shop would charge. As Jessie James would say. . . . . . . . . . "FREEBIE!" I'm doing them in my dad's shop in PA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in