rubbing 275's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Angry rubbing 275's

i just got a set of new tires for my 17x9 cobra r's...255/45 front and 275/40 rear
it looks great, rides great but a bit of a problem. Everytime i go over a bump at a speed of 20 mph or more my rear tires rub..Just got them installed tonight so im not sure where its rubbng yet but its making a crazy noise and is felt in the drive. I am upset b/cuz before ordering the tires, I checked the boards...(yes i use the search feature) and i found that certain ppl are using my exact setup with no problem...What do i have to do? airbags in springs..roll fenders?? How come some ppl can run 275's and others cant? If i had known i had to roll fenders and what not i would have went w/ 315's. I dont think i should have to go through that w/ 275's.

Forgot to mention...i also run the eibach pro-kit springs..

Some info on what to do would be great...

Mark T/C, Fordchip, Flowmaster cat back,deleted 3rd cat w/ custom Y-pipe, custom 3" intake tube, K&N, 180º tstat, new lifters, eibach pro-kit, kyb's, 9mmFRPP wires, Autolite DP'sgapped at .060, 17*9 cobra r's, f255/45/17 -r275/40/17 hankook sport veloce's, 1800 watt pioneer premier system and more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:16 AM
PostWhore

Airlift bags with 10 or 15 psi in them should fix you up. Even with 255s all around on my 95, it needs a bit of air in the bags to keep the fenders off the tires over big bumps.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
my 255's rub on the rear too. I have had two sets of 255's on different wheels, both rubbed. I rolled my lips, and one still rubs. I have absolutely no idea how anyone runs 275's.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

looks like we wont need airbags....just spent the day rolling the fender lips...i used a DeWalt powersaw to cut in at every 3 inches....hammered em in..holding a towel on the fender lip to make sure i dont accidentalle scratch the lip and it came out pretty damn good....Looks like i didnt need to take it to a body shop after all...

Just as a test to make sure there is no rub...i went over a 15 mph speed bump at 35 and you guessed it...no rub...to make sure it wont happen at faster speeds i went 120 on the GCP where there are no bumps however there are several smoothe hills that give the car a little up down feeling...and still no rub...

so it looks like good to go...

might just do the airbags anyway for drag purposes..

Mark T/C, Fordchip, Flowmaster cat back,deleted 3rd cat w/ custom Y-pipe, custom 3" intake tube, K&N, 180º tstat, new lifters, eibach pro-kit, kyb's, 9mmFRPP wires, Autolite DP'sgapped at .060, 17*9 cobra r's, f255/45/17 -r275/40/17 hankook sport veloce's, 1800 watt pioneer premier system and more to come...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in