I'm Going Nuts! Help lol - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
I'm Going Nuts! Help lol

Okay I placed my order in for 17*8 bullitts almost a month ago.......I ordered them from Custom Wheel Market in CA. They still havnt got here. I've been calling the place and they been givin me the run around. Today i called and asked what was up. The dude told me they would recieve them in a week then ship them to me. He also stated that he had 17*9's right there and that he could ship those out today, and they would get here in a week. I agreed to take the 17*9's....same wheel, just an inch wider. He asked me what size tire i was using and i told him 245/50/17. He explained that those would either rub against something or STICK OUT past the fenders, He told me to go with a 245/45/17 and then i'd be better off. I already bought my tires a few weeks back. Several in here have said that 245/50/17's were perfect. Some others said 245/45/17 were better. I placed the 245/50/17 up against my current tires on the car,which are 235/60/15's, and they appear to be much wider. Can someone explain if 245/50/17 will stick out past the fenders or rub? I pm'd someone with these tires, and he pm'd me back and said i will love these tires, that they are perfect. He explained that the 245/50/17's are only 10mm wider than my 235/60/15's. When i placed them together to compare width, they look like they are 2 inches wider than my current tires. My question is, will they rub or stick out past the fenders though. My car is a standard 3.8, but i doubt that would make a difference in wheel well, space, fenders, etc. All help is appreciated, thanks guys, gals. peace

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
245 Is tread width in mm 40,50,60, is percentage of side hight to with of tire.

245 should be about 10 mm wider than your 235s

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

Will they rub up against anything or stick out past the fenders?

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ChampagneTastes
A 245/50-17 and a 245/45-17 are the same width (245 millimetres), but the 245/50 will be a bit taller than the 245/45, due to the fact that the aspect ratio of the sidewall is 245/"50" = 50% of the tread width, vs. only 45% for the 245/"45".
(*Disclaimer: Widths can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even with different aspect ratios by the same manufacturer.)
The difference in the "tire sticking out past the fender" more likely would be a result of the wider wheel and a greater positive offset because of the width, or transversely, "cause rubbing" to the inside of the wheelwell or suspension/steering components due to less negative offset toward the inside of the car.

~Daniel

The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

The garage toys now:
'66 Mustang 289
'74 BMW 2002tii
2004 Grand Cherokee
2004 Honda Civic Si
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

Not exactly sure what offset means, but my car has not been lowered and i don't plan on doing so. Is there a link or something in this site where i can find out if 17x9 wheels with 245/50/17 tires will work on my car without sticking out past the fenders or rubbing against anything. lol. I never in a million years thought that buying rims for my car would be this difficult. Now i kind of regret doing so. What if my rims wont fit properly? What if my tires are too big or wide...ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:59 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Offset, or back spacing, is the distance of the mounting surface of the wheel (where the inside of the wheel mounts to the hub) to some reference point. There is a page in the Tech Articles describing offset. I have seen the offset measured both to inside wheel lip (usually in inches) and the center line of the wheel (usually in millimeters). Proper offset aligns the wheel and tire within the wheel so that nothing rubs on the inside and the outside doesn't stick out too far. You don't want too look like a ricer with the wheel sticking six inches out past the lip of the wheel well. The offset is usually in the wheel description.

In the wheel description 18x8 5-108 38C:
18x8 = wheel diameter x width, of course
5-108 = bolt pattern
38 = offset (38mm from the centerline)
C = finish (just for reference usually C = chrome)

When you compared tire widths, were you looking at the tread width, or width from sidewall to sidewall. Sidewall to sidewall is how width is measured. I know on my 215/70-15s (I'm looking for new wheels and tires, but funds are limited right now)the sidewalls stick out farther than the tread but on 245s I've been looking at the tread width is close to tire width.

245 is agreed by most to be the widest tire you can run without having to worry much about rubbing. The diameter of the new tires should be close to the diameter of stock (unless you want to put in a new speedo gear). Although you should refer to the manufacturer for the exact diameter, an approximation can be made: tire width x (aspect ratio/100) x 2 + wheel diameter.

Diameters:
Stock 205/70-15: 26.30 in.
My 215/70-15: 26.85 in.

245/45-17: 25.68 in.
245/50-17: 26.64 in.

Most recommend being within +/- .04 of the stock size. Thats why your wheel dealer recommended 245/45 because they're smaller and would have more room in the wheel well, but this would screw up your speed readings, thus screwing up not only the speedometer but you ECU's speed reading. 245/50 is closer to stock

You might specifically ask those running 9" wheels what their offset is and if they have any rubbing problems. You can also look at Gagfish's wheel page, he's running 18x9s with 245/45s. I'm not sure how old the page is but he tries to explain selecting the right size rims and tires.

Since you're not lowered (your wheel well lips aren't any closer to the tire), I would think your wheels/tires would fit. Just double check offset.

Steve

Last edited by Astaeroth; 04-10-2004 at 12:12 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
it sounds like he may have been trying to sell you a tire.

245/45 is a very common size, about a dozen manufacturers make a tire in that size.

245/50 is very limited only a couple make that size.

JH
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear Poster

<== No salesman here.

JustinH, if you're wondering because of my low number of posts, I've actually been "lurking" on the TCCoA forum for months, reading all old posts. I only recently registered. I figured might as well participate if I'm going to spend so much time here.

I was just relaying info I've acquired while researching for wheels for my bird. I've been looking at 18" wheels though and I am able to find 245/45-18s. I don't have info on tire availability for 17" wheels. I only preferenced the 245/50s because the person cool dude PM'd said they were great. I was in no way trying persuade anyone to buy anything.

If anything cool dude should keep trying to ask those with 9" wide wheels what size tires they have and if there are any rubbing problems.

And by all means, correct any wrong or misleading information I post. With the limited amount of work I've done on my bird so far, I am no expert. Most of the info I've gleaned if from others, right or wrong.

Steve

Last edited by Astaeroth; 04-09-2004 at 09:52 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Quote:
Originally posted by cool dude
I agreed to take the 17*9's....same wheel, just an inch wider. He asked me what size tire i was using and i told him 245/50/17. He explained that those would either rub against something or STICK OUT past the fenders, He told me to go with a 245/45/17 and then i'd be better off. I already bought my tires a few weeks back. Several in here have said that 245/50/17's were perfect.
Astaeroth I think this is who/what Justin was refering to about selling him tires

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Yes... that would make much more sense.

I just didn't want to get banned for my first post.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for own paranoia.

Steve

PS I seem to really love the smilies for some reason.

ARIZONA member check-in

1994 Deep Emerald Green Thunderbird LX
3.8L of stock NA fury!

"Why don't you drop outta that green jumpsuit and show me that fat a$$."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:03 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ChampagneTastes
To add to Astaeroth's info (or further confuse the issue), the sidewall of the MOUNTED tire can be wider than the tread or NOT, depending on the width of the wheel it's mounted on. In other words, a 245mm wide tire (245mm= 9.6 inches, BTW) mounted on a 8 or 9 inch wide wheel will allow the tire to "set" just right, allowing the tread to be spread out and flat to the road, as it should be, making the sidewalls even with or slightly wider than the tread (depending on its manufactured shape and structure). A 10+ inch wide wheel will be a bit too wide (unless you like that oh-so-stylish look of ghetto sleds and low-riders, of course), being wider than the tread width, "bulging" the sidewalls, and making them quite a bit wider than the tread, or conversely, a 6 inch wide wheel is going to "pinch" the tire, sucking in the sidewalls, because the wheel is much narrower than the tread width.
There. Confused enough now?

~Daniel

The Surgeon General never said anything about smoking the competition!

The garage toys now:
'66 Mustang 289
'74 BMW 2002tii
2004 Grand Cherokee
2004 Honda Civic Si
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 04:03 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
245-50-17 is a nice size for our cars if they are not lowered...however IMO if the car is lowered that tire could have rub issues if the susp. is not firm enough...

BTW...The 17X8 Bullet is not the best choice anyways....If you want to go to Bigger brakes down the line I beleive there are chances of having problems with space for the calipars...17X9 is a good size and no rub...

ALSO...4 weeks is not very long when you are ordering a CUSTOM WHEEL that has to be machined from a blank "Nothing" to the proper backspace, proper bolt pattern, then the applied finish...The market is not big enuf to have sets of these thing lying around to ship out at a moments notice...On the other hand if they say you are gonna have them X-Day they better be able to produce I suppose...Short of that...Be ready to hurry up and wait..."Military Term"

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Stroked and Blown

Yeah its cool, they shipped them out on Friday the 9th and because they are coming from california, the dude said they would probably be here by friday the 16th......4 days left! I also went to Mr.Tire and asked them what they thought, and they too, said it is a good size and that it will look good and that it should not rub or stick out. Thank u all though, i was starting to go crazy. thanks

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in