Tire replacing.. Is it time? (I have searched) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 1997T-Bird Send a message via Yahoo to 1997T-Bird
Question Tire replacing.. Is it time? (I have searched)

I wanted to look into new tires and wheels because I THINK ( I repeat) I THINK my tires are starting to look a little worn out.

I am not real strong in reading wear, but I have noticed the following:

-There is not any bald spots

-No tire hum/howling due to alignment or what not

-The tread is not as thick as it should be in my opinion.. I could be wrong.

(On a side note, I do occasionaly [read once or twice ever 2 or 3 weeks] chirp the tires, but nothing major)

I have no idea if the last owner replaced em or not. I am at 90k now and if they need replacing, I will go ahead and probably buy new wheels with them.. So this leads to my three questions:

1.) Should I replace my tires / wheels? Am I missing factors of wear / tear I should be observing?

2.) When buying new wheels I want to get the Cobra wheels with the SVT Caps, but if I cannot find them, can I switch out the caps on regular Cobra wheels? Either way, 5 spoke is a requirement hands down for me, so any suggestions are of course welcomed.

3.) I want 17s or 18s, and after I get the wheels/tires I just take off the old ones and slap the new ones on yes?

Currently: 2004 Honda Civic Ex 5 Speed
17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

well you can use the old trusty lincoln method to check the tread. take a penny with lincolns head upside down and if the tread comes up to his head then you still have enough.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
Most tires have wear indicaor bars in the tread. They are spaced out around the tire down in the tread. If the tire is worn so that the wear bars are even with the top of the tread, time to replace. If the tires are several years old, they might look ok, but still be rock hard compared to how the same tire would be if it were new, in which case replacement isn't a bad idea. If you see any weatehr cracking, then you should replace them too.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Cam Bird
Most tires have wear indicaor bars in the tread. They are spaced out around the tire down in the tread. If the tire is worn so that the wear bars are even with the top of the tread, time to replace. If the tires are several years old, they might look ok, but still be rock hard compared to how the same tire would be if it were new, in which case replacement isn't a bad idea. If you see any weatehr cracking, then you should replace them too.
I actually do see VERY tiny cracking at the corners of the tread... So I guess they do need replacing.. Thanks for the heads up.

17X7 BSA Wheels - 215/45/17 Falkens; Complete JL System; Magnaflow Catback; Lowered 1.4"

Last Car:
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust; 2003 Cobra Rims with Kelley 255/45/17s;Steeda U/Ds; B&M Transmissoin Cooler; Dirtyd0g's custom 2800 Stall Torque Converter; J-Mod Kit installed by Dirtyd0g; SCT Tuned by Darrin; Lowered with Spring Tech Springs

Want great work done on your tranny? Have dirtyd0g do it! He made a believer out of me!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:24 PM
3rd Gear Poster

If there's any doubt, I would say get some new ones. Your tires are the only direct connection between you and the road, so obviously you don't want them to be in questionable shape. As mentioned before, if you see cracking and the tires are a few years old, it's not a bad idea to replace them...plus it's a great excuse to buy some new wheels. That's the justification I used to buy my '03 Cobra's.

Brian.

1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition Sport 4.6
'03 Cobra's/Chrome Bullitt's, ART true duals w/Flow's, springs, other minor stuff.
2004 Ranger XLT 2wd.
Little pickup with Mustang wheels
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Fathead.97.LX
If there's any doubt, I would say get some new ones. Your tires are the only direct connection between you and the road, so obviously you don't want them to be in questionable shape. As mentioned before, if you see cracking and the tires are a few years old, it's not a bad idea to replace them...plus it's a great excuse to buy some new wheels. That's the justification I used to buy my '03 Cobra's.

Brian.
Preach it.. I want to get Cobra wheels with the SVT Caps ('03 Cobras have em).. That'd look PIMP I think

Got any pics of your wheels and what size are they 17X8 or 9? (By the way when people say 17X8.. what's the 8 mean?)

Last Car:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I sent you a pm Metalbassist. The "8" in 17x8 represents the width of the wheel and plays a large part in how wide of a tire you can fit on the rim. The '03 Cobra's that I bought for my car are 17x9 for comparison's sake.

Brian.

1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition Sport 4.6
'03 Cobra's/Chrome Bullitt's, ART true duals w/Flow's, springs, other minor stuff.
2004 Ranger XLT 2wd.
Little pickup with Mustang wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in