Firestone Firehawks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Question Firestone Firehawks

After someone here suggesting Firehawks I was at my local Firestone dealer and asked about a price. The lovely lady manager said, with a knowing smile, that I wouldn't like them, as "they were prone to problems".
Has anyone here had any problems with Firehawks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

My ss20s were great. They are now called Indy 500s. The salesperson was probably hoping you'd buy a store brand, on which she'd make more commission.

I haven't heard good things about the Firehawk GTAs.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 05:00 PM
3rd Gear Poster

You could check out:
www.tirerack.com

They sell the FIREHAWKS and they also post buyer feedback ratings. When I bought tyres last year it was a toss-up between The FIREHAWKS and the YOKOHAMA AVID S/T....I bought the AVIDs and have been generally pleased...they've been wearing like IRON! I can't fairly judge their dry road cornering as I need more rim width (sidewall support) and stiffer bars (1-3/8 ADDCOs!!!)...But they only cost $41.00 each at the time....certainly can't bit*ch about that!!!

JMHO
DR

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Eibachs, some of the mn12perf bushings,GT MAF sensor, K&N filter, RM Tube, Steeda UDs, Jmod w/deepsump, trans cooler, TRUBENDZ freeflowcats & X-pipe, and cat-back duals w/Flo 40s (done locally). 3.73 FRPP DIFF, ...SCT and ADDCO "BIG BARS"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

I have a set of the Firehawk Indy 500 tires, and am very pleased with them. The Tirerack link has a top-notch rating section that you may find useful in deciding which tire to get. My only suggestion for improvement on that tire would be speed rating.

I was in the same boat as DRROVER, trying to decide between the Indy 500 and the Avid S/T...since I drive in snow a bit, I chose the Firestone tire based on the ratings it received for snow traction. Had the tires been equal, I would've chosen the Avid S/T by Yokohama.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear Poster

For what it's worth, a little over a year ago I bought AVID S/T's and I have been very happy with them. (I live in an area that never gets ice or snow.)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 07:57 PM
PostWhore

Depends on which "Firehawk" you're referring to. That's a model name for most of the Firestone performance tire lineup. It's like Goodyear "Eagle", you need the complete model designation to differentiate them.

The Indy and SZ50 are very decent tires. From what I understand, the SZ50 tires are being phased out this year.

cheers,
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to flewthecoupe
I've had the SS's, the SS10's, the SS20's, and the Indy 500's. At $72-$74 a piece it's a good deal. They are mileage rated and can't remember for sure but think they are/were a 40,000 mile tire. I typically got about 30,000 on the SS series because of my driving habits but they do prorate mileage loss for your next set. In order of preference:

1. Indy 500
2. SS
3. SS10
4. SS20 (really doesn't make sense, these were supposed to be the most upgraded and I thought they sucked.)

They don't make the SS series anymore so you don't have to worry about them. The Indy 500's have held corners very well, wet or dry, never worried about hydroplaning, but do be careful on snow and ice. They are good, but not great in that arena.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. ~unknown
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 10:40 PM
3rd Gear Poster

got the sz50's on my summer rims. had em on for 2 yrs now and they hold up fairly well considering how i drive. ride is a little harder, but thats also due to a lower profile than the stocker's. on dry pavement they stick like s**t to a blanket, and are excellent in the rain. hard for me to make a comparison to anything else out there as these are the first perf tire ive owned.

sad to hear theyre phasin em out ed

ty

Current: K&N panel, FR pulleys, B&M shift kit and tranny cooler, true dual stainless w/ flowmasters, drchip, '02 GT MAF, cold plugs, 180' tstat, FRPP 9mm wires, 235/45ZR17 firehawk SZ50ep tires on chrome lincoln ls rims.Johnny's braces, bilsteins, FRPP pumpkin, MMX driveshaft
Comming Soon: Marauder tc
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by flewthecoupe
1. Indy 500
2. SS
3. SS10
4. SS20 (really doesn't make sense, these were supposed to be the most upgraded and I thought they sucked.)
ss20s and Indy 500s are EXACTLY the same.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I've had the SZ50 EP for 18 months now with 8,000 hard miles. Great tire for the AED supercharged 3.73 rear end. The Firehawk series is not really being dropped. Bridgestone still has a tire with the same UniT plys that makes the FireHawk so good it's the: Potenza S-03 Pole Position with UNI-T AQII
Even Consumer Reports liked this tire for it's ablitilty to maintain performance at 1/2 tread.

See:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/

Problem is that they don't make the size I'm running so I have another set of 4 Firehawks on backorder with Tirerack. They may or may not come in.

The Michelin Pilot Sport's were rated very good but they're $236 each. or about $400 more for a set. At this price it didn't make since to wait until the fall and buy new tires. I looked and looked for a performance tire in 255/50 R16. Problem will be solved if tirerack can get the FireHawks. Otherwise, I'm back to drawing board on a good performance tire and will wait until the fall to replace the FireHawks. I'll keep the two with 8,000 miles for spares.

Previous owner of: '96 Tbird Sport with AED SC.
Best 1/4 mile 13.7sec @ 101mph
Previous owner of:'04 Red Mercury Marauder 100% stock.
Best 1/4 mile 14.6sec @96mph on Dec. 20th at Hallsville, TX
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally posted by 96AEDtbird
I've had the SZ50 EP for 18 months now with 8,000 hard miles. Great tire for the AED supercharged 3.73 rear end. The Firehawk series is not really being dropped. Bridgestone still has a tire with the same UniT plys that makes the FireHawk so good it's the: Potenza S-03 Pole Position with UNI-T AQII
Even Consumer Reports liked this tire for it's ablitilty to maintain performance at 1/2 tread.

See:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/

Problem is that they don't make the size I'm running so I have another set of 4 Firehawks on backorder with Tirerack. They may or may not come in.

The Michelin Pilot Sport's were rated very good but they're $236 each. or about $400 more for a set. At this price it didn't make since to wait until the fall and buy new tires. I looked and looked for a performance tire in 255/50 R16. Problem will be solved if tirerack can get the FireHawks. Otherwise, I'm back to drawing board on a good performance tire and will wait until the fall to replace the FireHawks. I'll keep the two with 8,000 miles for spares.
The SZ50EPs Bridgestone equivilant is the RE750. Same treadwear also....340. When you need replacements for the Firehawks, look at the Fuzion ZRi, traction about the same as the RE750 and wet traction that matches the RE950. The firestone dealer quoted me 125$ a tire for 245/45/17.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to flewthecoupe
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBird

ss20s and Indy 500s are EXACTLY the same.
Hmmmm, maybe just the set I had sucked.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. ~unknown
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 10:31 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Josh
I've had mine for about 5 months I love em..When I first got them It was like driving A difrent car(in a good way) and they look awesome.

• My birdy pics: 1.2.3.4
  • AIM: SouthernSportmen
  • 4.6L 94LX T-Bird
  • MODS: New Motor, Rebuilt Modified tranny, Modified MAF,
    Removed air resonator, Autolite wires,
    Cobra R Hood,97 Headlight conversion,
    Hella driving lights
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:21 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Nice looking tires. What size are they?

Previous owner of: '96 Tbird Sport with AED SC.
Best 1/4 mile 13.7sec @ 101mph
Previous owner of:'04 Red Mercury Marauder 100% stock.
Best 1/4 mile 14.6sec @96mph on Dec. 20th at Hallsville, TX
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
I recently put the firehawks indy 500s on my 94, I LOVE them...I got them from Tirerack.com and they got here (kodiak, AK) within 48 hrs of ordering them (That is a record!), and shipping was only $70.00. I am very pleased with the traction of them, as well as cornering...wet traction is great as well...Just my .02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in